Author Topic: Willits "Bantam" Springer  (Read 4674 times)

Willit

Willits "Bantam" Springer
« on: February 18, 2008, 14:48:23 »
Hi all here are construction pics of my Bantam-esque Springer named "Grebe".  She's fitted with a Hytec/Bycmo RC set and a 480 motor controlled by a cheapo Tamiya mechanical speed controller.  It all works but the first and last time I sailed it the steering was hopeless and so I've modded it (it actually works now!).  I just need a new U/J coupling and she'll be ready for testing.  The old rubber one I used (yes I cut a corner, naughty me) slipped whenever the prop picked up weed so it went in the bin pretty quick.

I'm pretty pleased with it.  Internally its not a patch on anything you chaps could make but it works and that pleases me, even if it does look a bit industrial.  Externally its pretty up to standard I think, it certainly looks ok on the water.  Once I sort out the aerial (the red lead in the pics) the wiring won't look such a mess.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 14:57:43 by Willit »

Red_Hamish

Re: Willits "Bantam" Springer
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 23:29:02 »
Hello Willit, looks good to me. I too am a believer of if it is lying around and can be used then use it. Sometimes these models are the ones we favour when out on the pond.

cheers

Jim
enjoy life and model boating not necessarily in that order :-)
www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org  or www.paddleducks.co.uk and the best place to live
www.visitshetland.com of course!

bosun

• Dum Spiro Spero
    • www.terrymahercountrysinger.com
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 03:04:58 »
Hy Willit
Any reason you changed the original motor ?. The springer looks ok to me, as good as most I have seen. I have a couple of those type speed controllers, basically bomb proof.
Bosun
Dum Spiro Spero

Willit

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 09:11:59 »
Hy Willit
Any reason you changed the original motor ?. The springer looks ok to me, as good as most I have seen. I have a couple of those type speed controllers, basically bomb proof.
Bosun

I was given it a while back, and I put it in but soon decided that I didn't know the motors history, so it would be better to replace it with something newer.  I have a stock of old 480s which I purloined from my school (they were going spare) so I used one of these.

I agree about the speed controller.  I quite like it to be honest.  The boats my "knock around" so fine control wasn't an issue.  You can actually get a slight variation at the top end of the controllers travel but its only by a couple of hundred revs or so.

Note the two rivets acting as ballast in the bows.  These are from Paddle Steamer Waverley (we went to see her when she was at Great Yarmouth under restoration and people were invited to take them from a big drum they kept them in!)

By the time I have finished, the only thing that was bought for the boat will be the U/J coupling.  I have a Heng Long Tiger tank coming soon and I shall borrow the battery from that when I wish to sail Willit and Grebe together.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 09:17:09 by Willit »

Mr Andy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 15:22:25 »
I wish I'd had a stock of parts my Springer has cost me a fortune, When I'm ready I'll put them on fotopix and post the link on here and Mayhem as there are far too many to put on the site.

Andy ;) :)

Willit

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 13:59:48 »
I wish I'd had a stock of parts my Springer has cost me a fortune, When I'm ready I'll put them on fotopix and post the link on here and Mayhem as there are far too many to put on the site.

Andy ;) :)

don't feel too bad at least your boat was built properly  ;)

Mr Andy

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 15:08:03 »
I hope it was lets just clasp our hands together and hope the water stays on the out side. I'm hoping to apply either the red or black to the hull tomorrow, not very clever with a spray can so please PRAY for me.

All the best Andy. ;D ;D

Mr Andy

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 11:19:16 »
Ah well all paint been scrapped off including resin tomorrow I start again. >:D >:D

Andy. ;)

Willit

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 15:03:57 »
my tug had her first sea trials yesterday, and tomorrow I shall film the official maiden voyage! 

Willit

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 08:41:11 »
The maiden voyage was today and my camera died and I could only get stills but they show the boat working.

Unfortunately it all went a bit wrong on this maiden voyage.  My mate had bought a Dickie Tug and the RC on it was DIRE in the extreme.  Basically it died halfway out in the pond and the springer was quickly deployed to save it (range on Dickie was little more than three feet and the wind carried it).  I still hadn't realised quite how strong the Springer was and I hit the Dickie way too hard (remember my boat is flat out or nought) and knocked her on her beam ends.  Then the wind got up and very soon all that could be seen of poor Dickie was the red hull and the kort nozzle!  The Springer had no chance of pushing it in so it was brought back in and Willit was chucked in to push the upturned Dickie in.  It did so but full speed was required and eventually I destroyed the 380 motor, throwing a pole.  Although it got back to shore, it had a dead spot and previous experiance caused me to write off the motor straight away  :(.  I'm now on the third motor!  The last one lasted half the time of the original one!

So it all went wrong  :-\

My mate quickly dismantled Dickie on the pond side, drained all the water out, and put it back together.  We were surprised it wasn't full, the superstructure flooded of course but the hull had only a small amount in it, despite a total capsizing.  In the end we gave up on the Dickie, its now scheduled to come to me and have proper RC put in, a way of me apologising for capsizing his brand new boat!

Willit has just been remotored by me (I had spares fortunately).  I have replaced the 380 with a 480BB which as you can imagine has made a strong tug into a super duper strong tug.  Yayness.

Here are some pics of the Springer in action, as well as the ill Dickie. 

As soon as the new batteries are in the Springer, as well as the aerial (you can see the temp arrangement I made) it shall be declared finished.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 12:49:57 by Willit »

Willit

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 16:44:38 »
here's some pics of the new water cooler.