Author Topic: Have you ever done any Salvage Jobs or Rescures?  (Read 11960 times)

donald.waller1

Have you ever done any Salvage Jobs or Rescures?
« on: August 16, 2010, 10:49:49 »
Reading What was your First Tug, made me think of Has anyone done any salvage jobs or rescures ?.
When I was on the Meeching tug with Meechingmans father the late Frank Gilbert,( Skipper) I did two salvages, the first was a ship called Manta the other was the Reedwarbler, both were if I remember correctly  20 to 30 miles off Beachyhead and taking on water in heavey weather, we got them both back to Newhaven and tied up safely, may be Meechingman has a record or notes made by his father with more details in.

meechingman

• Tugs rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert's Website
Re: Have you ever done any Salvage Jobs or Rescures?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 04:44:21 »
I haven't got any records Donald. Most of the Meeching's logs were either kept at the Sealink Offices or up at the Marine Shops. They disappeared. Some were kept onboard but anything that wasn't nailed down when she was sold in 2000 seemed to 'walk' before her new owners got to her.  :(

I do recall Dad telling me about the Manta, but not the Reedwarbler. Newhaven Museum may have some info, I'll check that out.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet

donald.waller1

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 08:02:41 »
Thank you Andrew it would be nice to see if anything comes up, it was as you know a good few years ago now.
Kind regards
Don.

Mac525

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 21:13:17 »
We gave a hand refloating the Island Ranger after its barge overtook her and ran her aground in dury inlet in 95 of so . Some where i have pictures as we responded to the mayday calls earlyer the day before by the time we got there she was just going under
Cam

donald.waller1

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 07:21:01 »
Thank's MAC525 Any photo's welcombe, on the two salvages I did I did not have a camera with me at the time, it did'nt even cross my mind to pick one up from home as I ran down the road for the call out.
Thank's again
Don.

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:49:56 »
A few salvages and resuces from me ;

EVER DECENT ; Container ship that collided with the cruise ship NORWEIGAN DREAM, I was on the ANGLIAN DUKE at the time ;

http://www.containershipping.nl/images/casualties/everdecent01.jpg

Working on the tug BANKERT is was at the grounding of the DOLE AMERICA just by the Nab Tower (Portsmouth) ;

http://www.jimsshippingwebsite.co.uk/soton/doleamerica1.jpg

This is just a few of the many salvages I have been on.

Regards, Dan.

ps, Numerous jobs up in the Minches, fishing vessels, tankers, you name it, we helped them when I was with Klyne Tugs (Lowestoft) Ltd  :)
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

donald.waller1

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 11:22:06 »
Thanks every one keep them comming the information is great reading, and if anyone has any pictures they would be good to see. thanks again.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 18:38:26 »
We gave a hand refloating the Island Ranger after its barge overtook her and ran her aground in dury inlet in 95 of so . Some where i have pictures as we responded to the mayday calls earlyer the day before by the time we got there she was just going under

The poor old 'Ranger' has had quite the history as of late huh??

After her 'last' sinking in Tofino....I'm not sure what has become of her.

I made a few trips on her when Seaspan had her back in the 70's.
A good 'seaboat', comfortable, and warm.
MIKE

Lighterman

• Site Supporter
  • where is the sound control on these overalls?
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 12:47:06 »
Though being a humble lighterman and craft tug skipper, i have had a few lucky turns. I did help along with the m/t General 3 tow the BOWSPRITE (one of south coast shippings vessels BOWBELLE et al) off of victoria railway bridge at chelsea, after she was swinging to berth at 9 elms and her anchor dragged and she ended up athwart the bridge. the tug i had at the time was one of p k harris' boats called the St Olaf.. an she was a teeth shaking, heart stopping Massive 360BHP... and no i have not left any noughts off! my allotment from that little job bought me a car (well secondhand and a needed new tyres).

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 12:07:24 »
A few of ones I had the pleasure of being involved with.

Jim
Capt Jim

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 12:28:38 »
A few more.

The first two show the hole that the missile made when it exploded inside the tank and set the ship on fire.
The third shows the sea on fire astern of us as she was towed towards Dubai and the Dry Dock. The tug between Gray Titan and the ship was the ex 'Alice L Moran' and 'Statesman' of UTC and was then in SELCO colours 'Salvanguard'.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:33:10 by Todd »
Capt Jim

donald.waller1

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 12:36:53 »
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the articles and great photos, I would like to apologise in advance if I do not respond straight away, as I am now back at work full time on shifts after my illness and a trial period to see how I would get on, so please keep going on this thread its getting better the more I read, it makes my two salvages seem tame.
Thanks again.
donald.waller1

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 12:40:18 »
And now for something different...... :-[   :o   ;D

This lady sank after a fire and 'turned turtle' and floated upside down for a few years until she got in the way of the building of the Dubai Dry Dock complex, she was righted using sheerlegs and then towed out of the gulf and sank (again) off Muscat. I suppose that should be called a 'Reverse Salvage'  ;D   ;D   ;D

Jim

PS:'Al Muheeb' was the tugs name, I have forgotten the ships name. In the second photo the sheerlegs can be seen in the upper left.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:53:36 by Todd »
Capt Jim

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 13:13:47 »
I think by far the most 'dangerous' one was a bulk cement carrier, she was on fire in the forecastle area, paint store etc., and was in constant danger of exploding should the fire reach the first cargo hatch, you will not believe the bang that cement dust makes when ignited. Should the first hatch 'go up' it would have started a chain reaction and I wouldn't be here today to write about it. During the 8 or so hours it took to get the fire under control and wearing a fire-suit I think I must have lost a couple stone. The Harbour Master gave us his office and a couple of bottles of Malt to rest up, he also gave orders that we were not to be utilised in any docking procedures for two days....No monetary salvage award though the agent did buy me a new watch.
(During this period we were on berthing duties in Dubai...we had gone there to make it a 24hour Port--reefers in at night and out again in the daylight hours and general cargo vice versa...average 28 ship movements a day,so a couple of days off with plenty of Malt were almost as good as a purse. ;D ;D ;D )

Jim
Capt Jim

donald.waller1

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 04:47:23 »
Hi everyone,
Just been doing a bit of catching up on the items and pic's, now I am off for my three day's, thank's again for all the reading and the great pictures.
Are their any more old tug hands out their who have items and pictures, if so please lets hear and see some pic's.
Thanks again
donald.waller1
Don.