Author Topic: Game cock tugs/ liverpool cock tugs  (Read 2813 times)

The Chief59

Game cock tugs/ liverpool cock tugs
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:17:51 »
hi i have a jan empire type tug which thought i would build as a thames cock tug can anyone tell the colour scheme,and which humbrols would be suitable, i know Gamecocks had a pale blue funnel? but what shade is correct please  help anyone. i remember about ten years ago i was trying to find the right shade for the funnels of the liverpool cocks  again any idea, everyone says humbrol no7 but it seems very light to me and  i dont like the gloss finish for models, can anyone put me wise . chief59

Todd

• Admiral Poster
Re: Game cock tugs/ liverpool cock tugs
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:27:52 »
Chief59, the link below gives a line to the Liverpool Cock Tugs (Liverpool Screw Towing) a point to remember is that like a lot of the Liverpool tugs of yesteryear 50'-60's the housing was of a wood-grained effect.
The official colours of 'Gamecock Tugs Ltd., London' was:
Funnel: "Light blue with black top"
Hull: "Black with yellow line (at bullwark top) and red boot-topping"

The official colours of 'Liverpool Screw Towing (Cock Tugs)'
Funnel:  "Yellow with cowl top"----the yellow was more of a biscuit colour and the cowl usually black.
Hull:   "Black with white line (at bullwark top) red boot-topping with a white line"

/modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=1578.0

Hope this has been of some help.

Jim
Capt Jim

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 11:50:10 »
Hi Chief59 i used tan no9 for superstructure and inside of bulwarks.
 And no47 blue with a touch of white,for funnel, then used satin varnish. hope that helps.

regards John B
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:54:50 by tugnut »
john b

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 07:46:50 »
Hi chief 59   as brother john said it is Tan for the casings,red oxide deck, tan inside the bulwarks with a yellow line around the top outside and I added a little light gray to my funnel colour as well.

a couple of pictures attached and one of the real Atlantic cock.   Geo.
Tugs are for life      George B

The Chief59

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:12:42 »
Hi Todd, John B,Tugnut, Model tugman thank-you all for your help and advice, also the attached pics, can i ask tugnut, humbrol47 is matt middle blue, how much white needs to go into it, in the colour photo,s kindly sent by model tugman the funnel on alantic cock seems to be very pale? what do you think?  As for the liverpool cocks,living on wirral as i do, my late father was ships painter at cammel laird, i remember he bought home some of the funnel colour in a coffie jar, i remember finding some wood with it on. wish i had kept it now i could have had a satin paint mixed to match lol.  cheers boys the chief59

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 18:13:38 »
Delightful models!
And great colour photo of the real boat.

Toby