Author Topic: OSV Edda Sun/Star info  (Read 7093 times)

pegleg

OSV Edda Sun/Star info
« on: November 06, 2010, 09:13:49 »
Hello,
I am new to this forum-it is an amazing resource that I am still wandering around!
I am trying to find photos of Edda Sun,a 1980s OSV that later became Sentinel of the Royal Navy. I am also trying to find photos of Edda Star,which I think was a sister vessel. So far I found no photos of this vessel. It would be a great if I could anything out about this ship-can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
pegleg

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: OSV Edda Sun/Star info
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 09:34:53 »
Welcome Aboard Pegleg :) :)

After a bit of searching, I found that the Edda Star was renamed 'Bremen Hunter'.

Check out this link:

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=710209

There's some good info there, and lot's of pictures.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:37:40 by tugs53 »
MIKE

pegleg

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 13:03:26 »
Many thanks for finding this. I'll have to do a bit more digging,as it would appear this ship is not,after all, a sister of Edda Sun. I based my assumption on build date and dimensions I found in an old offshore pocket guide I have,with almost no photos inside,just data.
This is the other one-
http://www.osv-society.info/Edda_Sun.html
Back to the drawing board....
Cheers
pegleg

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:16:01 »
Hi Pegleg and welcome to the forum  :)

I have a photo of the 1975 built EDDA SUN arriving into Aberdeen, I will scan it and post it later, I am trawling through alot of my older photos today as am getting many requests for the older type supply / tugs.

What I find I will scan and post  ;)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 12:27:14 »
EDDA SUN ;

Built 1975,
GRT 1191,
DWT 1630,
BHP 7000,

Hope this is the one you are after  ;)

Regards, Dan.

pegleg

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 06:21:48 »
Thanks Dan,
Yes,that's the one-was hoping she had a sister but it appears not.
Thanks
pegleg

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 06:37:38 »
No probs PegLeg, have a look at this thread ;

http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=1904.msg20194#msg20194

Very similar class of vessel, I don't have my archive details to hand at present but I think the EDDA SUN became a Viking Supply Ship, I will dig out the information tomorrow  ;)

Regards, Dan.

pegleg

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 19:43:43 »
Hi Dan,
Once again-thanks.I think you might be right,they are very similar. I am on the road at the moment and have no access to my own references,but will look at this class of Viking vessels as soon as I can.
Much appreciated.
Cheers
pegleg

iospeter

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 02:57:29 »
Hi,

mid of the seventies seven vessels of that design were built in Northern Germany. Five were delivered to Viking Supply Ship. Due to the color scheme they had the nickname "Tigers of the North Sea". The quality of the ships was too good. Result of a very solid construction was a limited pay load.

Tor Viking was the film star Esther.

Two additional ships of the series were built in Husum at Husumer Schiffswerft. They had a yellow/orange livery.

Edda Star (1975) - Seaforth Victor 1988 - Redsea Pride 1991 - Fortunata 1992 - Rose 1997 - Red Penguin II 1998 - Seabulk Penguin II 2005 - Princess Nnenna

Edda Sun (1975) - Seaforth Warrior 1983 - Sentinel 1993 - Eas

By the way I made the model on the IOS web site. She was my first model from drawings only. Regretably I have no photos of the original ships. It was the oldfashioned time before the digital break-through

Rgds
Peter

pegleg

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 00:24:47 »
Hi Peter,
Thank you for the additional information.I had a look at my references (pretty thin in this area!) and the only major difference I could see was a slight variation on the rear of the bridge sides on a couple,which have a slight extension.
As yet I have found no photos from aft,or overhead. I have no drawings of this class either,so anything aft of the funnels is a mystery to me.
I would appreciate any further help you can provide-even photos of your model.
Thanks again
pegleg

iospeter

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 12:24:17 »
Hi Pegleg,

my problem just is that I do not know where the photos of the model are... Itīs some twenty years ago I made the model.

Please, let me know whats the purpose of your investigations is. Do you plan a model?

Whatīs about the Viking vessels? I have been on board of two of this type. When you mention some slight variation, are you talking about the Edda Sun / Star? Between these and the Vikings are many differences, e.g. the funnels, the stairs on the backside of the superstructure, winches etc.

Please, excuse my poor English. If you want to contact me by e-mail, have look on the web site of the IOS.

Rgds
Peter

pegleg

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 13:32:39 »
Thanks Peter,
I will write an e-mail and explain a bit more that way.
Thanks
pegleg

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 14:26:02 »
Thanks Peter,
I will write an e-mail and explain a bit more that way.
Thanks
pegleg

Hi Pegleg,

The differences you might be seeing is possibly after a conversion to a 'stand-by' vessel which has to have an 'overboard' view when rescuing people in the water.

Sorry for the delay to relpy but I will scan a few photos to show what I mean within the weekend

Regards, Dan.

pegleg

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 02:59:12 »
Thanks Dan,
You are probably right-as a confirmed landlubber I am not always sure of what things are called,or what they are for!
I am trying to get to see the film mentioned (North Sea Hijack?) in the hope it can fill in some details.
I would very much appreciate seeing any other photos you might be able to locate,whenever it is possible.
Cheers
pegleg

iospeter

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 05:55:15 »
Hi Dan,

I suppose you are talking about conversions e.g. with enclosed bridgewings. It would be great if you could publish some photos because I never heard about a ship of this Edda/Viking class converted to standby.

Rgds
Peter