Author Topic: Fiery Cross  (Read 16169 times)

Kev30

Re: Fiery Cross
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 10:22:04 »
Just thought I'd send in 2 photo's taken in my workshop last weekend of the towing drum for the rear towing winch on my Voith tractor tug Fiery Cross, hopefully the rest of the winch will be carried out tomorrow including silver soldering the webs inside the drum seen in photo.

Regards
Kevin

Kev30

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 14:11:37 »
Just to show I haven't gone into hibernation with the hedgehogs, please find attached pictures of the anchor winch. The winch was constructed from various materials: ali, perspex, plastic & brass sheet.

Regards
Kevin

woodbutcher

• Lloyd B. Gore
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 18:53:09 »
looks real,  Good, well done. Al

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 21:24:35 »
Thumbs up on that one.   PUFFIN

ray28507

• Admiral Poster
  • shuswap
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 23:27:24 »
nice work kev ;D
B.C tugs >>  ken mackenzie~07   nellie irene~07    freewinds ~04       sidewinder'in b.c~11'   iron horse~12  malley b~16  western mariner ~14  shuswap ~17
  u.s.a tugs> >  nanuq~11  in the build  hunter  - david j

Kimosabie

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 01:32:40 »
very nice work Kevin, I noticed Myford on your 3-jaw chuck, do you have a combi set-up with a milling capabilities?

Also, for the voith's where did you get the plans? or are they completely scratch build, if so you are a master craftsman!!

Kev30

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 12:43:08 »
Thanks guys for your nice comments.
Kimosabie. I built the Voith-Schneider units using various designs and drawings including info supplied from Voith's, I've built a few steam engines but I've never encountered the problems with them like I did with the Voith's?

The units were built on a Myford ML10 except the bottom cylinders/housings which were turned up on my Dad's Myford Super7, I then realised when using the Super 7 that I would have to upgrade, which happened at the next model engineering exhibition! The picture showing the milling for my main towing winch was done on my Myford VMB milling machine. Unfortunately I understand that Myfords have now gone bust, but there is still a number of lathe's and milling machines being sold on ebay.

Regards
Kevin

tees g

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 05:43:04 »

Kev mate  some info, on the funnel marking  are in  the post for you. Should have them by sat,
 tees g.

Kimosabie

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 08:27:18 »
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply and info, I fear if I go to a model engineering exhibition I will also be upgrading! But it has to be done and what better place to see all that's out there for us modlellers.

Cheers,
Kim

Kev30

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 13:34:24 »
I've just found these pictures on my camera taken back in May when sun-cream was a must here in sunny Bristol ;) ;) ;) ;).

I've finished all the deck fittings now except the anchor stays once there complete I'll make a start on fitting out the superstructure, the towing fairlead on the rear deck I've replaced it with a new one as Svitzer have modified the one on the full size vessel welding two plates either side to help inprove towing and as I'm painting mine in Svitzer livery I thought I'd better have her in the modern day look.

TEES G PLEASE DON'T ALTER ANYTHING ELSE OR I'LL NEVER FINISH IT !!!!!

Regards

Kevin

Fatcat

• Dan's RC Boats
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 13:39:00 »
Looks spot on that Kevin,

Keep up the excellent work and putting me to shame..

Dan

Kev30

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 13:44:18 »
Thanks for your feedback Dan.

I'm well familiar with the north-east now after a few trips to Middlesbrough.

Regards

Kevin

chipchase

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 01:01:24 »
looking good Kevin
Brian

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 07:30:26 »
Awesome metal-work!

Looking real fine.
MIKE

Kev30

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 12:16:06 »
Its not my Fiery Cross model but I didn't know where to put these pictures as its not a tug build, but I thought some members might find it interesting?

I'm presently refurbishing a old straight running boat which was given to me some years back and I would like to restore it to its original glory, and the boat is powerded by a Stuart Turner Sirius engine and has got a Yarrow designed boiler to generate the steam. The pictures show the gearbox mounted on the faceplate as I've had to put some new bearings in it as the boat is a twin screw driving a left and a right hand prop.

Regards
Kevin