Author Topic: Fiery Cross  (Read 14983 times)

Kev30

Re: Fiery Cross
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 13:06:56 »
Again chaps its not my Fiery Cross model but the steamer I'm restoring at the moment, when I started the model on the royal wedding day last year little did I know what I was undertaking. ??? ??? ???

Since then I've sorted the hull which was a major job, made a Yarrow type boiler, modified the gearbox c/w mechcanical feedpump, lubricator, pre-heater, 2x new 3" props L/H +R/H PHEW and today I finished the burner for it which is attached in the photo's. I thought when I started it would be make a new boiler and a lick of paint and that be it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way the clack valve which is attached to the side of the boiler won't be going there as it wouldn't perform very well in all the heat from the burner I put it there so i wouldn't loose it, and the bricks in the boat will not be part of the finished boat they were being used to see what displacement I had to play with????

Regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 13:49:35 by Kev30 »

Kev30

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 13:18:11 »
Two pictures here of the two new props for my steamer, one showing them under the blowlamp about to receive the silver solder. The other photo shows them on the boat I rushed here a bit as there actually put in the wrong propshafts just for a photo good job I never applied any steam to the engine as I'll be heading in reverse and unscrewing the props at the same time. :'(  :'(

Regards
Kevin

Kev30

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 13:31:55 »
As the steamer is 6'2" long we've got quite a good engine to push it along with the Stuart Turner Sirius engine twin cylinder 1" bore 1"stroke but the engine is pretty thirsty with consumming steam so I need to generate quite a bit of steam to cope. I'm hoping the Yarrow boiler will be sufficent but I also need a good heat source and the burner I made I finished today and fired it up in the garage earlier, there's a lot of trimming and experimenting to do with the burner to improve its performance but for day 1 I'm well pleased with the way it went. There was a lovely bit of heat coming from it and a CO2 fire extinguisher stand-by as well  ;)

Again I know its not tug build but I didn't know where else to put these pictures and thought some members might be interested in my restoration project?

Regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 13:36:45 by Kev30 »

chipchase

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 12:50:24 »
Great workmanship Kevin, thatís some burner :) :)
Brian

Kev30

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 09:56:09 »
Well with all this cold weather the UK is having at present there is no better way to heat the workshop up than trying out a new boiler, actually the boiler test was done before Christmas I was trying out the safety valve doing a steam test today and it coped beautifully.

Regards

Kevin
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:46:16 by Kev30 »

Kev30

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 03:24:32 »
I come across these photo's on an old digital camera when l was sorting out what the next job is on my voith tug.

Regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:33:11 by Kev30 »

CAJ

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 13:29:14 »
Looking good Kevin!
Follow my blog at www.channelimages.com

Calimero

• Calimero's RC shed
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 14:26:25 »
Nice VSPs ! Home made I guess ?

Kev30

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 15:54:51 »
Yes home made units a lot of work but extremely satisfying watching them operate. When I first contacted Cory Towage about building the Fiery Cross I had terrible problems in getting a response from them and when I phoned them they thought I was going to poke a propshaft out the back of the hull???
It wasn't until I went down to Milford Haven and showed the manager down there the pieces I machined up and told him the feedback I had, because if I didn't get a reply from Corys I was looking at the VS Red Funnel tug Redbridge as it has the same size units mounted inside. The week after going to Milford I had a phone call from the Middlesbrough office asking me what drawings I require, they really can't do enough for me now a sound bunch of blokes its just a shame its so cold and wet whenever I go up there that's all!!!! Only joking Tees G?
Regards

Kevin

Kev30

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2015, 13:49:03 »
Here's a few photo's taken last week of two window to fit in the rear of my Fiery Cross's models superstructure.
The apertures were cut out of the tin-plate prior to the superstructure being soldered up and last week the windows were made using 1/16" x 1/32" brass section these were bent to shape then silver soldered together and after being cleaned up soft soldered into the openings.

The other picture is of my gauge 1 locomotive "Duchess of Sutherland" again its a model to a scale of 1:32 using meths to fire it and 4 cylinders to power it, the brass rod sticking out the tender is the handle for the water pump just in case any ones wondering what it is. I know its not the best picture of it and really doesn't do it justice but when I get a far better one I'll post it on here. Its because of this model I'm so far behind schedule with my voith tug.
Which reminds me I'm off to Middlesbrough next week so please let me have some dry weather for when I get up there as its rained heavy the last few times I've been!!!
Hope the pictures are of interest.

Regards
Kevin

Kev30

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2015, 10:35:25 »
Here's a photo of the full size vessel moored up at Svitzer Tees HQ back in May this year whilst I was up there taking photo's+measurements to help me with my 1:32 scale working model of her.

Regards

Kevin
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:46:32 by Kev30 »

Kev30

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2015, 16:50:08 »
Here's a few photo's showing my construction of the louver vents on my Fiery Cross model.
I was going to have the vents closed as they all have doors to cover them over as I never had any photo's showing the doors closed I got in contact with Svitzer to ask them nicely if they could email me some shots of the doors shut, as this will save me a 540 mile round trip from Bristol-Middlesbrough. I spoke to Svitzer's main marine-superintendent up on the Tees and he asked me if my model was going to be a scale working model which I replied to say it would be and he said well my model wouldn't look right with them shut as these vents two on the lower superstructure and one on each funnel (four in total) are the main air intakes for the main engines and the tugs generators.
After that phone call I looked up how to make these vents I come across an article in a model railway book written by a gentleman who built diesel locomotives and used his method to make mine. First I made some brass frames out of 1/8" angle and silver soldered these together after I cut some small brass section which will have the slots in to take the louvers soft soldered them to another piece of brass put these in the milling machine and with a slitting saw formed the grooves, as you can see in the photo's I needed a left+right hand of these once this machining was carried out the pieces were heating up to remove them from the brass plate.
The louvers were cut to width and length from tinplate and after they were cut a small lip was formed on the reverse side purely to give these strips a bit of strength, and then they were put into a soldering jig for soft soldering.
I'm pleased with the way they've come out I just need to file them to length and fit them inside the frames now, its quite a time consuming job but hopefully it now looks the part.

Regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 14:59:21 by Kev30 »

Kev30

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2015, 16:54:47 »
Here's two more photo's of the louver vents for my model.
The larger vents which will go on the superstructure the blades on the vents run vertical where as the smaller one which go on the funnels they are horizontal.

Regards
Kevin

Kev30

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2017, 05:59:38 »
Its been a while since I've had a proper bit of time working on my tug but the last few days have been rather enjoyable in my workshop as its been warmer in there than outside???
The photo's attached show the superstructure and the wheel house with the handrails all soldered into place it was a job I was dreading as with all work like this you always get a few scrap pieces until your happy including those small parts you've spent time on only for them to fall off the bench and can you find them on the floor. I'm quite happy with the way it come out quite a time consuming job but that's part of the coarse constructing a tug like this.
The small brass pin's you might see are for the big fire fighting pipes to help support the tube once added even though there are a few brackets at deck level but these will also help. The very small pins are for the pipe that is the self drenching system that goes all round the tug including the mast as in the event of a fire where the tug is expected to go up close the system will form a fine mist of water to keep the tug cool, again a lot of work to do this but it gives the model character. The small lugs that come through are for the vents mounted around the superstructure.

Hope these photo's are of interest.
Regards
Kevin

Regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:38:30 by Kev30 »

Kev30

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2017, 06:16:34 »
The stanchions were machined out of small profiled brass strip I first used timber as a jig to bore these but the brass kept on bending so I changed to a aluminium block and after this they seemed to come out OK compared to the plywood method. The handrailing was tacked on the top with soft solder so you know all the stanchions were vertical and then after everything is good I used soft solder paint to fix all the lower rails using a small roasting blowlamp to the uprights as this saves a lot of work cleaning up after a soldering iron.
The other photo's shows the end view of the full size vessel showing all the pipes and vents to give you a better idea and the lower picture was taken on my previous trip to Boro moored up showing the side on view of the full size tug.

One last thing I was in Middlesbrough last Friday 03.02.2017 as I was in the north-east and returning home to Bristol and Tees G kindly sorted out my visit to enable me to take some more detailed photo's of the wheelhouse interior as this will have to be fitted out inside before being fixed down to the main superstructure on my model. A big thank-you to you Ged many thanks again now I haven't been drinking but Middlesbrough was a lot warmer last week than Bristol is today, I think that's the first time I've ever said that.

Regards
Kevin 

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:27:08 by Kev30 »