Author Topic: DIANA LYNN  (Read 1987 times)

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
DIANA LYNN
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:20:27 »
Recieved via email from Ken ( corsairman ) some photos of his lovely tug Diana Lynn which is built from a kit from Hartman Fiberglass now owned by Loyalhanna Dockyard of Bergen, NY.

I am sure he will inform us of details regarding the model  ;)

Regards, Dan.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:37:20 by sea.mariner »
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

corsairman

Re: DIANA LYNN
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:58:13 »
The "Diana Lynn" was started over 30 years ago from a kit that Hartman Fiberglass produced called the "Douglas Greg" Mr Hartman died sometime ago and Loyalhanna Dockyard of Bergen, NY bought the molds to reproduce this great tug.  Original I was going to build her as a railroad tug as I worked for the railroad. Well over being move many more times than I care to think about and building 2 hot rods, the "Diana Lynn" took a back seat.  In 2000 I thought it was time to finish this model.  At this time it was just going to be for display only. However, it was fitted with a motor and a 3:1 gear reduction and all the lights worked on it. Well in 2009 I figured it was time for the "Diana Lynn" to make it first voyage.  The first thing I did was get rid of the noisy gear drive and the 6 volt motor and upgraded it to a 12 volt low rpm motor with a 3:1 belt drive.  What a difference in noise.  In to the bathtub to check for leaks and add weight.  After that was done it was off to the lake.  The tug ran great and after running if for an hour or so it was time to go home.  In 2010 more upgrades were needed, a sound system was bought from Action R/C Electronics and installed. At this point there are no more upgrades that I plan to do.

For information the kit is still available from Loyalahanna Dockyard.  Harbor Models of Calif, is now making thefittings for this boat.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 15:52:22 »
Very very nice build there Ken!!
Please give us all the details...

Motor used, electrics, speed contol...etc. :) :)
MIKE

corsairman

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 08:04:08 »
I am using a low rpm electric motor with a 3:1 belt drive that I bought from a company here in the States.  I am using 2 12 volt 7amp sealed lead acid batteries the kind used to start model airplanes with. The speed control as well as the other electronics are from Action R/C Electronics made in the UK.

I spoke with Dave a few times on the phone and told him what I wanted and sent him a diagram of how I had it wired before the change over and he supplied me with another diagram and the componets to put it all together.  What great people to deal with.