Author Topic: Reconstruction mdsb Kinderdijk  (Read 21305 times)

Martin 70

Reconstruction mdsb Kinderdijk
« on: December 29, 2010, 12:18:39 »
Hi all,

On request this thread about the reconstruction / restoration of the mdsb Kinderdijk.
Two years ago i got in possenssion of this Dutch harbour tug, the tug was build by an friend of mine for someone who simply wanted a boat to sail, with the modern Smit colours. The tug was build according to the yard drawings, but all the little details where left out. When i did some research for old pictures, drawings and history of this tug i got in contact with the owner of the Krimpen. The Krimpen was almost a sister ship of the Kinderdijk, but it's a source of information for some details and see things in real time, so i was invited on board to make foto's and got more info from the owner.

some spec's of the Kinderdijk :

KINDERDIJK, 1952.

Commissioned by  L. Smit & Co's Internationale Sleepdienst N.V. - Rotterdam.

1 x 6 cilinder Smit–M.A.N. nr.430.456 type G6V42 from 1952 power 325 apk. = 239 kW. by 325 r.p.m.

Names:

17-06-1952 KINDERDIJK (4) L.Smit & Co’s Internationale Sleepdienst Maatschappij, Rotterdam.

01-10-1968 ZEEHOND (3) W.A.van den Tak’s Bergingsbedrijf N.V., Rotterdam.

10-04-1972 ZEEHOND Smit Internationale Havensleepdienst B.V., Rotterdam.

19-10-1989 ZEEHOND Smit Iso Maintenance B.V., Rotterdam.
01-01-1996 ZEEHOND Smit Industriële Services Organisatie B.V., Rotterdam.

17-02-1997 ZEEHOND Schaafstra Maritiem B.V. Drimmelen

I will gather some pictures from the build so i can give some information about some things a made for the RC model.

Gr Martin  :D

Martin 70

Re: Reconstruction mdsb Kinderdijk
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 04:22:05 »
Part 1: cover steering engine

Hi all:

In the first picture you see the tug in the state when i got it.

After gathering information, i started with the lid over the steering engine. The lid consist of 3 seperated plates, the left and on the right plates that are bolted and the middle plate is fixed with clamps. I made the complete lid from brass and made all the nut's (look a like ) from 1 mm hex brass. And made the cover over the rudder with the lathe. For the clamps a cut some thread on a 1mm rod.
But pictures say more than a 1000 words  ;)

Euhm don't mind the dust  :-[ But this is the end result

Gr Martin  :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:21:51 by Martin 70 »

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 04:28:04 »
Very nice work, Martin. The detail is outstanding.
VGJQ

Martin 70

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 04:57:14 »
Thank you for the compliments model tug man, i try to do my best  :-[

Part 2: anchor winch

The next item is a eye catcher at the bow, it's the anchor winch. So i got some pictures from winches from other K tug's that where on the ship demolition yard. And with some measurements from the drawing i returned to my workshop and made the anchor winch from brass.

( remark: K tug's is a collective name for several tug's that were build in this class and got the names beginning with a K for example : Kinderdijk, Krimpen, Katendrecht, Kijkduin and Kralingen ( names of villages and area's in or arround Rotterdam)

Bit's and pieces, exploded view

At the bottom you see the brake device.

Gr Martin  :D :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:22:32 by Martin 70 »

Martin 70

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 07:20:58 »
Part 3:  a new prop.

To improve the sailing characteristics i made a new prop. You can buy one, but it was to expensive so i decided to make my own.

Because the rpm is reletifly slow it was easy.

First i made a nozzle and with a milling machine i made de groves for the blades.

When the blades where made it was time to solder the blades onto the nozzle. ( only next time i will use silversolder to fix the blades )

With the lathe i reduced the blads so that het prop fits in the kort.
( It's no accurate fit because i need some space between the blades and the kort. The kort need to turn over the prop ( it's also the rudder )

With pliers you can change the blades to get the right angle.

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 07:49:52 »
Very nice!!
All those bolts drilled and then filed?
Thanks for posting the photos.

Martin 70

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 08:37:14 »
Hi Mike,

Yes i counted all the bolds on the 1:1 cover and then drilled all the holes on my 1:20 scale cover and filled them with little pieces of hex brass rod and solder them piece by piece.

Gr Martin  :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 11:26:03 by Martin 70 »

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:21:27 »
Wow!!
What great detail :) :)

Your work makes her look like the real boat!
MIKE

ixion

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 10:02:43 »
Great work, fantastic detail.

Martin 70

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 10:46:50 »
Hi All

Mike my goal is to weather this ship but not overdone, so that if you take a picture that it's hard to see if it's real or fake. But we will see what it brings, because this is a between project. My fist priority lies at the build of the Kwintenbank.

Here some pic's of the real tugs:

If you look closely you will see the Kinderdijk on the entrance on the back of her big sister  ;)

Part 4: new power

After the new prop i decided that it was time for an new drive unit. The old motor was powered on 12 Vdc. This new motor is 24 Vdc wat resulted in less current consumption and more time to sail  ;D.

The connection  motor driveshaft is made with a steel universal cross joint ( i don't know of this is the correct name fore it? )

Next time a little update with the soundcard.

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 12:44:53 »
Thats NICE VERY NICE :)Realy great detail :).
Keep pictures coming, regards John
john b

Martin 70

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 12:46:47 »
Part 5: sounds and lights

In this model i placed a soundcard with engine sounds ( start, idle, stop and acceleration ) and 3 free programmable sounds. In the next video you can hear the diesel sound as it is today. But in the future i will change the sound for the real deal, because the engine sound is distinctive for this type of Smitman diesel.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUAal2TvqrI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUAal2TvqrI</a>

In the next video you can hear the dieselsound of a Smitman diesel although this engine is a 750 horse power.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu-OLgQhEBE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu-OLgQhEBE</a>

On the model were fake navigation lights mounted and i replaced them for working one's

For the tow light i made a brass positive and a rubber model. In this model i poured some blank ressin with a yellow led.

Gr martin  :D

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 13:07:15 »
A wonderful build thread Martin :) :)
Please keep it coming!!

Suds
"Suds"

Martin 70

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 13:35:09 »
Hello Studs,

here the last 2 pic's of the day, It's a little detail from the tow light.

and in scale

It's a rough model of the electrical connection for the tow light

Martin 70

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 05:05:33 »
Hi all:

First of all i want to wish you all te best for 2011.

Part 6: search light.

The old search light was a look a like so i  had to replace it for a working copy. I the end the functions will be turning left and right and switch on and off remotely. By making a little piece of electronic's the light is switching on and off but when the light is switched off the light die's slowly.

First of all the the housing:

The glass of the searchlight i made of plexiglass. First i roughly made the shape and corrected it in the lathe. Afther the shape was okay i polished the glass.

The next fase was to make the frame and the base for the light.

And with the light on

The light is still under construction a have to make handle at the back of the housing , the turning mechanism and the electronics.