Author Topic: Springer prebuild questions.  (Read 9630 times)

packy46

Springer prebuild questions.
« on: January 04, 2011, 13:38:52 »
Hello All:
I need some prebuild questions answered.
I would like to build a 36 in. Springer, I plan on using 3/8 plywood on the sides, with
1/8 in. door skin for the bottom, and probably 3/8 for the deck house.
Given that rough plan, what should I have for running gear.
I would be using the springer for a rescue boat as well, for a large 5 ft. R/C boat of
approximately 40 lbs.
All suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Tim

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
Re: Springer prebuild questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 14:42:22 »
Hi Tim,

I have forwarded your request on to a frorum member ARROW5, he is the Springer man around here  :) So hopefully he will reply and help you out  :)

Rergards, Dan.

ps, Could you possibly update your profile so we can see where you live please Tim  ;)
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 15:32:56 »
I'd consider 020 styrene or 4 mil or equivalent ply for the house - have a look at the variety of Springers on this and the other two forums. I'll let Arrow5 deal with the power issue.

arrow5

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:29:25 »
Hi Packy, first do you need a X2 Springer ? The standard size one could handle your 5ft model quite well, maybe up the power a tad. Your twice sized Springer will be bigger than you think and need a LOT of ballast and a big jump in power , brushless would be an option, it will be heavy to carry etc etc.  Bang a standard sized one together on the cheap to see how it goes.  If you do proceed with the bigger one 1/2" or thicker sides and bow/transom pieces. Dont know if doorskin would bend round the curves, if not cut it into 3/4" strips and plank it, sand smooth(ish). Coat whole hull inside and out with resin, quality epoxy and lighweight f/glass best or car repair polyester for cheaper smellier version.  There are pics of a springer pushing a 1000lb pumkin in the water so your rescue boat doesnt have to be big. A kort nozzle and a 600 size motor will do it but just dont rush to the stranded boat or you will have a submarine on the way down !  You might want to consider a simple yoke on the front to make sure of a capture. Use plumber`s small bore plastic tube with foam insulation for floatation. The topsides can be simple and uncluttered so as to prevent snagging if you go into rushes or reeds to rescue something. Styrene sheet is OK for light work but I prefer 1/16th birch ply, well painted or resined. 1/8th" if you go with the big boat. Either way keep us informed with pictures. Attached is an idea for simple topside shape and another one to show that I`m not against enlarged Springers ! BTW that is X4.
Give me one more feather and I could fly like an eagle

arrow5

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:46:16 »
I think all the tuggers here would like a glimpse of your 5ft ship, any pictures ?

packy46

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:02:54 »
Thanks All:
After reading the info it finally dawned on me that bigger isn't necessarily
better.
As Arrow5 pointed out I can accomplish the same results, without the X2.
And the idea of a test type model is perfect.
Gotta say the X4 is very impressive.
Thanks
Tim
PS. What size kort would you suggest.

As you can see I still have work to do....
Running gear is in,but no paint or lights yet.

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv178/packy46/Das%20Boat/Picture057.jpg
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv178/packy46/Das%20Boat/Picture056.jpg
http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv178/packy46/Das%20Boat/?action=view&current=DasBoat2001.mp4

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:04:19 by packy46 »

arrow5

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 05:09:04 »
Nice tank landing craft, are there going to be R/C tanks deployed ?  If you dont want to go grey it could be an island ferry in CalMac colours with civvy cars and lorries. However I wasnt too far away with the imaginary "stealth tug" springer for a grey boat. Maybe a US Army ST profile?  Kort sizes will have to come from another, I have I have never used them but for a given motor size they have added thrust. A 540 motor should do it with suitable prop and kort. I`m sure someone will chime in. Have a word with MBM who advertises here. Regarding the X4, it is still in the kit form shown in the garage loft, I had a little health issue and it got shelved but Spring is just around the corner...!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:17:07 by arrow5 »

packy46

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 18:29:14 »
Hello Arrow5:
Thanks for the reply, and tanks are a possibility as the money permits.
Sorry to hear of your health problem, but true, spring is getting closer,
so all us lads can return to our shops and ponds.
You have given me some good ideas on color also.
The kort question, I will try and check with your source for the definative word.
Thanks again I appreciate the help.
Tim

arrow5

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 03:44:12 »
Glad to help Tim. Looking at your build pics of the LCT dont be as delicate with the Springer build, half inch ply or solid lumber sides at least. 1/16th ply for easy bending on bottom , 1/8 ply deck . It was Marks Model Bits that was advertising suitable power options and at least one Kort here on this site. I seem to recall a full-size shipyard that makes modern LCTs for the civilian market, Thailand maybe,  maybe Finland , gives you endless colourful options. Some imagination regarding the wheelhouse and maybe a bit of passenger area at the stern and you would have a unique model. Dont get me wrong, I`m not agin` grey ships, in fact one of  my other models is an aircraft carrier. I`ll see if I can find a picture of the brand new Cromarty Ferry, it is a fetching shade of blue :-[  Let us know how things progress. Plenty of Springer info on Mayhem :o oops.

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 04:31:22 »
The new Cromarty ferry ; CROMARTY QUEEN ;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ccgd/5089761128/

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

arrow5

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 06:32:02 »
Thats fine Dan, Thanks.  Wouldnt it be ironic if the first model of it came from the other side of the world !  What do you think Tim ?

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Models and Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 11:15:20 »
Standard size springers can push just about everything.
However when it gets large, don't expect to go very fast.  ;)

Here's a video of the pumpkin pushing in Tualatin, Oregon.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO_SYiPUvxo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO_SYiPUvxo</a>

And my springer towing the 10 ft long, 500 lb tanker up in Burnaby last year.
Actually, the springer is towing the tanker and the second tug.
The stern tug was only providing steering, no forward momentum.

packy46

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 07:44:30 »

Hi Arrow5:
Thanks all for you kind input, really helps new folks like myself plan
and look at different options before committing to a full scale build.
The Queen is a great looking ferry. I like the LCM type ramp, gives great access from beach or dock, and the blue is really striking, very
nice.
Arrow I am heading for my lumber yard for the materials, gives me another project while the paint dries.
I will go to see MMB on the Kort, I'm quit envious of the model boat shops you enjoy on the other side of the big pond, all of my running
Gear and electronics have come from England.
Will you please take us back....?
Thanks Tim
PS your carrier is excellent... Nicely done
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:53:19 by packy46 »

packy46

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 08:19:11 »
Hi Umi:
That's pumpkin pushing is impressive to say the least, 900 lbs, and with a good deal of momentum too.
You folks are really artisans, the workmanship, and details are superb.
You all give me something to shoot for.
Thanks
Tim

arrow5

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 09:01:51 »
Hi Tim, Umi is not a million miles from you, that side of USA. She can advise on US sources of gear and fittings, she might also have one or two items of interest herself.  I see Norry has put up some pics of his bow-ramp inter-island ferry on Mayhem. Maybe some on here too, look for "Balamorry Ferry". He SAYS it is for his wee boy but we know better. :P  It would look nice in the Cromarty Queen colours , very Balamorry. ( I should explain that Balamorry is a children`s programme on UK tv).  The standard sized Springer could be made as the Queen`s older sister Cromarty Rose ( now in English waters). It is a two-car size which keeps the proportions about right. (Pic attached)