Author Topic: Copyright Issues ....  (Read 8505 times)

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
Copyright Issues ....
« on: January 24, 2011, 15:03:02 »
Just a question to the Moderators and TugMaster ;

The quote at the bottom of the home page states ;

All Material within the forum is Copyright of TugMaster and TugForum.com .....ie. don't nick our stuff without asking.

How do you stand with this statement ? As before on some of my photo threads, my photos have been copied and posted outwith the forum and more annoyingly on publications  angry also some of the more recent threads that have been started have also found themselves on other forums  :) Do we have to 'watermark' our own photos to protect from copyright issues ?

Its just a thought and a polite request for some input  ;) ;)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: Copyright Issues ....
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 16:14:54 »
Interesting.

This topic has been discussed before. :)
http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=1419.0

Unless you're using an external photo 'host' for posting your pictures, then the only people who can see them are the membership, while 'logged in'. In theory.

Bearing in mind that many members here are also members on other forums, as well.....it's not too uncommon to find posted links to threads that originated here.
For that matter, there's many 'links' on here that came from other forums...posted by members. At this point, I must say that I think the visable membership here has been very honorable about copywrited and 'other peoples' pictures.

Back to your concerns:

Oddly enough, I've found that every so often  'Google' Image searchs will show pictures from this...and other...forums.
For example, one day I did a google image search on the 'Seaspan Royal', which I built as a model (thread on here as well as another forum), and up popped a photo, which I posted on this...and the other forum. This is a random occurance.

When I clicked on the photo for the web link...the picture vanished and I was prompted to 'log in' to the forum. However, I could have copied that photo on the initial viewing.

The "other" forum did not require a log-in to view the picture though.

Hope this is of some help.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 16:55:30 by tugs53 »
MIKE

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 23:51:20 »
Good points Mike. I would also like to add this....

When a member posts photos on this or any other Forum, he is putting those pictures in the public domain and as such is blurring the copyright position. I have spoken to a lawyer friend, who tells me that it would be impossible to take action for breach of copyright for this reason alone..

Don't forget that the law differs in each country... police police police
Barry

bond

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 01:10:38 »
There is an easy remedy to this ....

If you are worried about your pictures appearing on other forums, then the solution is simple, don't post them.
Any image in the public domain can be considered "fair game" by anyone who wants to use it for whatever purpose legitimate or not, it would be too costly to pursue in court and there would be no guarantee of a favourable result.

Also if you are not happy or have issues with any of the statements on the forum, i.e.  ("All Material within the forum is Copyright of TugMaster and TugForum.com .....ie. don't nick our stuff without asking".)  or have issues on the way the forum is run by the admin and moderators, then leave..... Simples...

Andy.

TugMaster

• Administrator
  • Admiral Poster
  • Welcome Aboard !
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 01:51:58 »
We have been all through this before ....but basically my thoughts are if you put pics on to this forum or any other forum they are in the public domain, if you don't want your pictures used by anyone else then watermark them....but unless you are a professional photographer who makes a living from taking pics then what is the point of watermarking them.

Points made that I agree with

"Good points Mike. I would also like to add this....

When a member posts photos on this or any other Forum, he is putting those pictures in the public domain and as such is blurring the copyright position. I have spoken to a lawyer friend, who tells me that it would be impossible to take action for breach of copyright for this reason alone..

Don't forget that the law differs in each country..."

"Unless you're using an external photo 'host' for posting your pictures, then the only people who can see them are the membership, while 'logged in'."

"Any image in the public domain can be considered "fair game" by anyone who wants to use it for whatever purpose legitimate or not, it would be too costly to pursue in court and there would be no guarantee of a favourable result."

TugMaster
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:54:14 by TugMaster »
Ok, so I like a drop !

thelongbuild

• Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 05:12:40 »
Also if you have a reasonable Photoediting software there is sometimes an option to imbed a watermark into the picture , For example if you go onto Mayhem and look at the photo gallery Pretty well all the pictures posted by Martin have Modelboatmayhem in the background.. It will not stop the problem but at least it identifies where the picture came from.....

Talking about pictures have you seen this on Mayhem about imbedded GPS locations on photo's..

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=7621105

I knew that photos retained various details ie Camera , Speeed , Iso etc but in some cases a bit more than you would like..

Also another way to make the pictures less attractive is not to post them in the Megabytes range  a picture 150-250 kb is More than suitable for posting but the size makes it less desirable for use elsewhere but will still give a very nice picture..
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:20:49 by thelongbuild »
Next Build M.S.C Volant after 1 other.

mike

• Very New to All This
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 05:18:41 »
As an ex professional photographer could I add a little, I believe that if you add a copyright statement to any pictures you post, which you personally have taken, then that should prevent unlawful publication of your photographs. How this would work on the wed I don't know but in print is should hold up.
Something Like - "this (these) photographs are the copyright of Picture Box (your name) unlawful reproduction is prohibited" could stand up in court if you wished to pursue the matter. That should work on every country that has signed the multilateral international copyright treaties. Wikipedia and Lawyers could help further.

Mike
Le Caux Deux

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 14:11:11 »
Thanks for the input Mike (Tugs53), Barry (FootsKi), Chris (TugMaster), Larry (thelongbuild) and Mike (mike) for the help  :) :)

It was just a request and it has cleared things up  :)

There has been a publication recently that contained some of my own photos but the credits were given to someone else  >:D

Gone are the days of 35mm photos when the holder of the negitives were the owner of the photos, now in the age of digi photos it all gone t*ts up  :)

Its great to see some input on this subject, so hopefully we can all get along just dandy  :) :)

Also, to Bond (andy)  - you could also add you location on the home page by simply clicking on the 'profile' button ... Simples...

Regards, Dan.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:21:17 by tango »
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

bond

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 15:22:34 »

Post removed. We are a friendly forum.

Barry

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:20:54 by tango »

TugMaster

• Administrator
  • Admiral Poster
  • Welcome Aboard !
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 15:42:02 »
eh ...ladies ....thank you  police
Ok, so I like a drop !

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 23:37:15 »
I have tidied this topic up by removing various posts. Sorry if you had one removed but it helps to keep the subject on the right lines.

Andy,

Can I request that you add your location to your profile please. Whilst not compulsory, we are a friendly forum and I think all other members have complied with this request. Thanks in advance,

Barry
Barry

FLJ

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 01:19:44 »
Just to add my twopennyworth, I don't suppose the going rate for publishing individual photos which are already in the public domain is very high. For example, one of the model boat magazines pays only around 250 for a full-size camera-ready plan, a written article and numerous original photos.
I once had a complete model design ripped off by the person I'd done it for as a kit (it was a model aircraft). He belatedly felt he'd paid me too much so he flogged it to one of the comics with his name all over it instead of mine. A brief phone call to the Editor produced a public apology and that guy's model-designing career was cut very short. We haven't spoken since............ ;)
FLJ

C-10

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 02:33:07 »
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I believe that a photo`s copyright remains with the photographer throught out its life.
           If you post photo`s on a Public Domain site, then there could be a relinquisher that allows
      them to use your photo`s  -  read the small print  --  for commercial use, so in essence when  
      posting one should always use a watermark.Recently an American Boating Magazine used
      some of my photo`s without my permission on their front cover  -  they were invoiced  -  and
      paid a substancial sum  -----------
                                                  so "  POSTER BEWARE "

pompy boy
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:54:22 by C-10 »

thelongbuild

• Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 05:09:22 »
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I believe that a photo`s copyright remains with the photographer throught out its life.
           If you post photo`s on a Public Domain site, then there could be a relinquisher that allows
      them to use your photo`s  -  read the small print  --  for commercial use, so in essence when  
      posting one should always use a watermark.Recently an American Boating Magazine used
      some of my photo`s without my permission on their front cover  -  they were invoiced  -  and
      paid a substancial sum  -----------
                                                  so "  POSTER BEWARE "

pompy boy

Silly Thing is , I bet if they had asked you it would have cost them a lot less.
Next Build M.S.C Volant after 1 other.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 15:20:01 »
Question for you Dan.
Are you adding pictures of tugs that we have personally taken, to your database?
If so; perhaps you may want to ask :)

I'm kinda wondering why you seem bothered by seeing "your" photos on other sites; yet you copy...edit...and paste photos from shipspotters...and others on here. In the mystery tug thread...for example.
MIKE