Author Topic: Model Slipway 2010 Yorkshireman (How not to build it)  (Read 55029 times)

Haggis1138

• Site Supporter
Model Slipway 2010 Yorkshireman (How not to build it)
« on: February 06, 2011, 10:13:35 »
Well folks I finaly plucked up the courage to start my kit. Well sort of.
Suzi took lots of pics as I investigated the big box it came in.

Took some getting into it did.

I must admit that the contents of the box has frightened me a little. I am not used to playing with small componants when building trikes. Trike bits are a bit bigger  :)

Once I had familarised myself with the bits in the box it was time to read the instruction book and have a butchers at the plan. Even more frightened now  :o
King of the unfinished project

Haggis1138

• Site Supporter
Re: Model Slipway 2010 Yorkshireman (How not to build it)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 10:23:53 »
This afternoon I decided to get some plywood out of the shed and make the cradle. Couldnt take any pics of the build as we left the camera at a friends house last night. However I have some of the finished item.

Tis made from 10mm 8ply. The manual says use 6mm but I had this so thats what I used.

The hull looks kinda good on it dont ya think??? :D

The rubber I lined it with is self adhesieve pipe insulation. I have lots of it so if anyone wants some then feel free to ask.

Next up I took a few pics of the contents for you all to see. Hope you like :)

This bit is kinda worrying me though as this is my first ever build

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 20:21:11 by Haggis1138 »

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:37:33 »
A solid start to the build. Don't worry about the experienced modeller bit....There are plenty on this site who will help you every step of the way. All you have to do is ask the question..

Barry
Barry

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:38:23 »
Well it looks like you're underway Haggis

Nice job on the stand! Sturdy and functional!!

The kits appears to be quite complete cool cool
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 16:33:12 by tugs53 »
MIKE

tbone

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:28:53 »
Did the kit come with a template for the stand or did you have to draw it out yourself?

Tbone

chipchase

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 13:49:46 »
Hi Haggis the Yorkshireman makes into a great model. I donít think that you have chosen the easiest kit for your first build but donít let that put you off.  I personally have not built this kit, but two of my friends at my local club have and she looks fantastic on the water. The best advice I can give you is just take your time. Good luck with your build and as Barry has said if you are not sure about something just ask.
Brian

Haggis1138

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 20:20:17 »
Did the kit come with a template for the stand or did you have to draw it out yourself?

Tbone

Yes mate it did. Well sort of. You get a scaled drawing of half of each end. I coppied it trwice. Cut out the 2 halves, joined them together and drew round them on the ply. Simples

Haggis1138

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 20:23:28 »
Thanks for the encouragement folks and dont worry the questions will be a plenty :)

woodbutcher

• Lloyd B. Gore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 22:10:12 »
looks like a complete and great kit. I think your skills building trykes should transfer quite easily to the boat, have faith and dive in. Al

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 09:27:16 »
Haggis,

Looking forward to your build and best wishes.
VGJQ

Haggis1138

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 10:02:11 »
Going to read the instruction booklet and pin the drawings to the spare room wall and actually make a start on the tug its self. If that is I can make my mind up what to do first.

Is there an order in which things get done?? Well obviously one wouldn't finish the build and then think about fitting the motors etc etc

What do you do first?

woodbutcher

• Lloyd B. Gore
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 17:19:01 »
don't know about others,but I always do the Prop and rudder shafts first,then the motor(engine beds etc.) then lay in the battery placement so the hull floats very close to the desired stance but with enough freeboard to accomadate the super structure and deck fittings. then the deck allowing access to the innerds, remember to beef up the deck (underneath) where you are going to anchor your winches and bitts etc. Then you can start on the house and fidley bits. Al

woodbutcher

• Lloyd B. Gore
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 18:03:18 »
took it for granted that anyone who lived north of the wall would know to put in the controly things (servos,speed controls,radios etc) before glueing down the decks ( not like us colonials who have sometimes gotten ahead of ourselves) and besides if you have your hull working you can always go to the pond and run around for a while (you can go run around anyway, but I mean you can run the boat around).It slows the build down sometimes but it adds to the enjoyment to play as you go.Al

FLJ

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 20:14:26 »
The instructions and drawings are in a logical building sequence, so it's best to follow that order. In any event you MUST build the hull first as you will need it to use as a "base" for building the superstructure. If you try to build that in your hand then there's every chance that it won't fit properly over the coaming.
FLJ ('im wot drew the pictures)

Haggis1138

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 21:37:07 »
Thanks folks for the advice. I actually fell asleep in the chair after my dinner. Damn work getting in the way of pleasure again. Worked an 18 hour shift on Monday and it has knocked me for six..

So tonight it looks like I will be fitting the props and rudders then. I have instructions for putting the rudders together but they have come ready built. Theres a bonus.

FLJ, as I will be purchasing the elastictrickery bits from you when funds permit could you let me know sizes of the area I need to leave clear for mounting. I have the motors already. Bought them with the kit.
So I will need everything in the picture you sent me. I take it the Action p94 dual ESC mixer will allow me to controll each motor individually??

More later folks