Author Topic: Model Slipway 2010 Yorkshireman (How not to build it)  (Read 61414 times)

FLJ

• Site Supporter
Re: Model Slipway 2010 Yorkshireman (How not to build it)
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 08:01:04 »
Have a look at our website. All the units are dimensioned and there's a full set of P94 Instructions which explains - with diagrams - exactly what this beast is capable of. No point in filling up the Tug Forum with stuff which is only a click away (just click on the ACTion logo on the LHS of this page).
FLJ

Haggis1138

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 21:36:38 »
Thanks FLJ. Appreciated. You will be recieving a phone call tomorrow with an order that I will want delivered yesterday.  :)

Ok Was sat here last night and the wife (Suzi) told me to go and do something with my model and not to be such a scaredycat. I think she wanted to watch rearender.....sorry Eastenders or summat like. So pint of beer in one hand and lots of glue and tools in the other off I trudged.

Have I got everything I need?

As some of you are aware I build custom bike and trikes as a hobby (well I did till this moddeling malarky took hold). I rent a workshop off my boss from work and he is building a Harley Chop in it????? Well the other day he presented me with this

Tis a Dremel Digital. What a tool it is as well. Most usefull. Kind chap aint he?
So tonight I started to cut out some of the componants. The first step was to cut out the rudder bits. Please forgive me for the non nautical descriptions. I am not a boating chap.

Once cut out I trimmed them to size and gave the inside faces a rub with some we and dry. Next up was to cut out some other bits and drill holes in them. I got out the dremmel and proceeded with caution.

Next up is glue time. I will let the pics speak for themselves.

Once the Super duper glue was set I had a look at the finished (Well nearly) articles and it was now I descovered that I had glued one of the rudders together all squinty.
Some choice words were muttered. Oh well I will just peel off the plastic bits and re glue them. Oh no I wont, they are well stuck on. I cut them off and now I will have to make another pair. Just hope I have enough scrap off cuts big emough or its another trip to the model shop.
Right itys time for me to go to work. See you all later

:)
King of the unfinished project

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 23:47:29 »
A determined and  clean start. Don't worry about the error, it will not be the last. The secret is to discover the mistakes early so they can be put right. A good choice to use ACTion for your electrickery bits....great gear they sell..

Barry
Barry

FLJ

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 00:19:13 »
I see Slipway have sneaked in a non-standard drawing there! The rudders used to be cast white metal, so I guess the bulked-out brass ones are an improvement.
FLJ

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 02:12:57 »
Thats almost exactly how I constructed my new rudders after doing away with the white metal ones, the only difference I made was I used a full length of brass rod with a flat piece of brass soldered just slightly smaller than the rudder size, then added styrene to both sides then tapered the end  ;)

Just a little tip for you, it might be a good idea to take the plastic printed sheets to a photocopier, photocopy them and should you make any mistakes and cannot remove a plastic part you can then cut it out of the paper and use it as a template on a sheet of styrene  ;)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

mersey dave

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 06:18:20 »
Great to see you have started Haggis, as for the mistake if not for making them you would never learn. ( that's the way i see it ).

I for one will be following this thread with great interest.

The very best of luck and i hope the build goes well for you. :) :) :)

Regards Dave.

Haggis1138

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 22:16:08 »
Once again, thanks for the encouragement. As this is a thing to do in my spare time (Now theres a laugh) it will be quite a slow build.
On another note. Why are there so many muppets on ebay. I sold a caravan on Tuesday. Advertised as spares or repairs with plenty of pics. Winner drove 200 miles yesterday and then tried to haggle me on the price to half of his bid. Well guess what? He had a 200 mile drive home empty handed. Why have I told you this? Well I was planning on spending half the dosh on the running gear I need from ACTion Electronics. Dont some folks just know how to upset someone. angry
Oh well guess the bank ballance will take another hit.
OK back to the job in hand. Which type of bow thruster should I purchase and where from. I am running 6v drive motors from Slipway. Had a butchers on Slipway's website but couldnt see any info.

See you all later.

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 07:02:12 »
If I am glueing a part that needs to be 100% inline then I tend to use a slower drying glue, not the super duper type  ;) ie, a 10 minute curing 2 pack epoxy, this gives you enough time to bond the parts but also to 'jiggle' it to the desired angle or even ARLDITE  :) especially if you will be leaving it overnight to dry, also, using the superglue you can always have the problem of your fingers sticking to a beer can  ;D ;D A good idea if the can remains full !!

Regards, Dan.

ps, Looking forward to seeing what you do to the model tonight  :)

woodbutcher

• Lloyd B. Gore
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 13:12:43 »
I've tried both the paddle type and the propellor type bow thrusters.Found the paddle type to be both cheaper and more powerful, no idea what the prices would be or where to get them in the U.K. Al

Haggis1138

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 20:58:06 »
Cheers Al for that.
Back to the build. I aint done much though and it aint that exciting. All I have done is remake a rudder afcer my earlier cockup.
Managed to find a space big enough for the two halves on a sheet from the CNC cut ones.

Marked it out and cut it with the dermel. Ace little tool this is. Wish I had had one years ago

Assembled the parts with a little lore care this time and now I have 2 straight rudders

Dont know if I will get much done on it this weekend what with work and its also the start of the Superleague Season. Got 7 games to watch this weekend...... :)

FLJ

• Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 23:51:56 »
The Robbe thrusters are rated at 6 volts but you'd be fine to run either the Graupner or Raboesch ones on that, too. Have a shufti at the Cornwall Model Boats website - Malcolm stocks quite a range of bow thrusters.
FLJ

Haggis1138

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 07:51:35 »
Not nervous any more. Just drilled 2 holes in my hull  :o :)

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 08:26:55 »
 :o :o I guess the 2 holes are for the rudders, you should have carried on with a further 8 holes for the port holes  :) :)

Regards, Dan.

Haggis1138

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 09:20:54 »
Hya Dan. Unfortunately tis the start of the Superleague Season and I am doing the odd bit in the interval and between games  ;)
I have drilled some more holes and am really getting into it big time. Missed the last half of the last game because I got carried away.
Here are some pics of my prigress. Feel free to comment.

Starting to take shape. More in the next half time  :D

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 09:42:57 »
Nice work!
Coming together like a pro.

Suds
"Suds"