Author Topic: RMAS Moorhen  (Read 7628 times)

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
RMAS Moorhen
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:06:08 »
FOllowing on from my, er "sucess" in building the Rhine pusher tug "Egrete", purchased as an ikea flat pack from myhobbystore, I've decided to have a go at another full kit build job, this time going for the RNAS Moorhen, it appears to be a salvage tug, come Bouy maintenance vessel.

if anyone has already build one or has any info on this craft, id very much appreciate it.

*appologies for  putting in wrong forum block, but many thanks for relocating for me ! *
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:22:42 by gregk9 »
Best Wishes.

Gregg.
[All messages sent using recycled electrons]

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Re: RMAS Moorhen
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:32:08 »
The plans arrived this morning from myhobbystore, so only took 48hrs from purchase to arrival, so not bad going. The hull bits are on back order however, so wont be shipped untill at least the 19th of the month.
So after unfolding the plans and actually looking at the beast, "live" so to speak, it gives me a better impression now of actual size and scope, especially for my lighting rigs and my interest in getting that crane arm doing some movement, hopefully i can get it to both rotate and lift/lower, but we'll have to wait and see.  but, being as im waiting on the hull, I may well start the crane first.

I have spoken to Steve at modelboatbits [www.modelboatbits,com]  and have placed an order for the drive components, namely: 40mm korts with 4 blade props, huco couplings and a pair of 180mm stainless steel propeller shafts. Incidentally, Steve not only stocks run of the mill propeller sizes, he can and will make up any you need to order, as he has his own workshop , so rather than you having to compromise of this sort of thing, Steve will make you an exact length one to suit your build.
I already have a pair of drive motors in stock, which I believe should be suitable to push this boat along, a pair of Deans marine "Kondor's", courtesey of ebay at a meagre 6 the pair. I had to get a pair of bushes for the one motor, but deans marine willingly replaced as the brush arm had broke, and they wanted to see whay it had done so, causing the brush to fall out.

Ive not yet decided on the hull construction, dont know if to go with the recommended ply wood construction or to follow my egrete design and go for a full plastic build, as there are not that many radii to form, but I dare say I could simply insert some wooden blocks and shape those to suit at those points. Lets just say "the jury's still out" on this one as yet.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 16:17:14 »
been sent a couple of pics of actual boat in, er "working condition". should help tremendously in getting the deck right.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:16:00 »
Ive had the info/build pack arrive this morning from myhobbystore. This contains the writeup which was printed in their magazine back in March 1995.
it contains a lot of info about how they actually made a pattern to cast glass fibre moulds off the hull former that made. but then goes on th o the actual model they build, which was using a styrene hull, made oiff the original lgass fibre one and a styrene pack for all the upperworks, so my decision has been made for my construction.
these pages of the original build fill a few gaps in as far as its build goes, plus a single picture shot of the internal bridge layout which will save me from leaving it totally bare, especially with all the windows it has.

i can now also see I will need to build/construct a buoy to sit on the forward deck, give the crane something to hand on to!

So , yes, whilst waiting for the styrene pack and hull to arrive, I will begin with construction of the main crane and then start seeing how I can get it to work too, with the assistance of a couple of servo's [hopefully].
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 16:22:33 »
Ive now begun work, by building the main crane. i will hopefully be sucessful in making this beut work for its volts and fit a couple of servos to make it lift and rotate, the mechanism im yet to comfirm my ideas on.
but to basics, ive redrawn the details of the crane job and bas on to seperate disposable paper [not the original plans!] and then proceeded to cut the pieces in sheet plasticard. the boom was made in 2 square section tubes and then joined together. ive made up the basic turntable base and added the winch motor base to the boom and have left it all to dry overnight.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:14:03 »
The hull has finally arrived and the very rough hand cut styrene sheets. Seems like myhobbystore's  sub contractor for this stuff is loosing quility. So when you order sheets of styrene from them, dont expect square cut edges, they dont have a square edge any more, someone must of broke it and thrown it away. So Ive sourced from another supplier. ive added a 12mm dowel wood brace to the hull keel for added support and may add some 1.5mm ply bases for the batteries too, i dont know as yet, but would hate the thin hull to crack under load.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

woodbutcher

• Lloyd B. Gore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 19:06:09 »
lots of bracing or none at all, put a few in and it will crack at the stiffener, been there done that. Al

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 02:35:15 »
I have limited the amount of bracing fitted as yet, because untill I install the motors, props, kort mounts, check battery positions for even balance, If i fitted any more yet, I could impede or compromise the locations of certain items. So I leave the majority of bracing untill later on.
It also saves on wasted time and plastic, having to cut, reshape or remove them again later. Many thanks for your observation though, I should of mentioned this earlier.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 14:20:29 »
started construction of the main superstructure now, whilst waiting for the main deck to arrive from the suppliers of the styrene sheets. Alwasy remembering that this superstructure has to remain removable, so access can be gained to the motors if you ever need to of course.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 12:38:02 »
Following on from some good photos and advice from a former crew member I have been able to detail the wheelhouse interior with a lot of details, so not only are the desks and cabinets right, but the pc monitor screens and winch controls are alos in place. I still have  3 monitor screens and a radar screen to add to the underside of the roof panel, but will leave these off untill i am ablout to affix the roof in place, so reduce the risk of damaging them untill i have complete the roof and mast assemblies and run all the cables through.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 18:03:32 »
Sure looking Good :) :)

Suds
"Suds"

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 07:00:08 »
I have started wotk on the wheelhouse roof now, as due to the fact there is quite a bit of "roofwork" going on up there, twin radars, working mast lights, working warning lamps etc, I really need to get the roof sorted before I finally glue it down on to the wheelhouse. I have made a start and cut the roof panel out, and added the fron and side angled pieces, as these do help to maintain the radius of the roof, to match the same radius of the wheelhouse. I have added the mainmast base [in plastic] but the mainmast will be made from square brass tube, due to the lights it needs to carry, as well as the ladder details up the rear face.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

mersey dave

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 07:06:12 »
Yes it's coming on very nice, Well done. :) :)

Regards Dave.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 12:40:22 »
Appologies for delay in update, but ive had some delaying problems with the supplier of the brass propellers. the original ones supplied were for "fixed kort" and not swivel korts, so the square tipped corners of the props were catching the insides of the kort nozzles on turning, so they had to come out, which means my ambition to complete the drivetrain has had to be abandoned untill the new props arrive. the original supplier then promised faithfully to replace the wrong props, but after 3 weeks of waiting I had cancelled my order and wont be dealing with this store again >>:-( <*<, ive changed back to SHG ! O0

Right. Wheelhouse, I have now installed the driveshafts for ther twin radar heads, which now means I can close up the wheelhouse roof and attach to the wheelhouse. I added a piece of plastic tubing in one corner of the wheelhouse in which to run the electrical cables for the mast lights, so to keep them from view as much as possible. O0

I still have the main/standard navigation lights to install, but they wont be sited untill i fit the railings as they seem to be affixed to them, rather than standalone items.

I have also found a most suitable tubular base for the crane.  its a piece of plastic tubing, with a threaded nut on the end. So The crane can bond to the head of the nut, the thread allows the crane to swivel freely without being pushed off its mount by the servo's underneath and is adequate in strength and doameter to allow me to run the inner workings up, to operate the crane easily. :-))
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 13:01:14 »
I have now made up the twin stern winch assemblies, ready to go on to their platforms on the rear deck. these are made so are removeable, to gain access to the rudder linkages below deck, rather than make huge removeable panels in the deck. The winches are almost totally made from styrene sheet, apart from the rather too nice to not buy brass warping drums, purchased from model dockyard. Its about the only thing I cant make to shape out of plastic, so had to admit defeat here.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.