Author Topic: RMAS Moorhen  (Read 6964 times)

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Re: RMAS Moorhen
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 11:53:08 »
Next item to add was the stern lifeboat platform. the original model boats build did not actually include this at all , nor even mention it, so all the details have been taken from photographs of the actual vessel instead. I made the initial platform up from plastruct "I" section beam, this was used on the original and its easy enough to cut and join like the real thing, so why not.  There are 5 vertical support legs for the platform, but due to access needed below the winch for the rudder control system, I have had to make the platform easy to remove also, so by cutting the 3 side leg supports in half, then by adding some thin plasticard strips to the sides of the  "upper" girder, I  have made them, so they now "sleeve" over the lower parts which are glued to the deck and bulwarks, the upper pieces glued to the platform, thus creating a split joint. The forward beam was left full height and simply butts up against the underside of the platform, the innermost leg was made by joining 2 "I" beams together to form a hollow girder, then glueing a short length of plasticard to the deck and a vertical peg, then the platform sits snugly on its legs.  Its sound a bit complicated, but once seen in real life, its  a sneaky way of hiding a removeable deck level.
before glueing on the alloy mesh to act as the flooring, I also bonded on a piece of plastruct tube, to act as the lower section of the lifeboat crane mast. it saves having to damage the flooring later.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.
[All messages sent using recycled electrons]

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 03:37:40 »
Nice work. Looking good, sir.
VGJQ

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 06:47:35 »
Thanks for your comment, always nice top hear im going the right way with things!
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 18:16:51 »
Nice job on the removeable deck level.
MIKE

woodbutcher

• Lloyd B. Gore
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 19:08:52 »
good work. should be a fine vessel.Al

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 04:31:54 »
Thanks again for all your comments, they are appreciated.

My main ideas behind doing the access panels they way I have, is to be able to maintain the vessel, during its life as a radio controlled boat, not to just be used untill something goes wrong, or wears out or a link breaks, then its backloaded to sit on a shelf for the rest of its career. I like to be able to get access to all items on my boats, so i can replace or repair something , as no one knows if something gets knocked or broken by mistake, but you dont need to be forced in to a full strip down to get access again.

So, the lifeboat deck lifts off [see pics] the winch assembly then lifts off its plinth, so you now have access to the rudder control, plus there is also a circular hatch right above the rudder pivit post, again, giving all the access you need, plus you can "see" what you are doing, rather than by touch alone.
The girders were easy enough to "sleeve" and works a treat and the joint is hidden at the height of the bulwark rail, so hardly noticeable at all, the lower "I" beams can bee seen close to the bulwark rail in the pictures, the upper parts "sleeving" can also been seen too, this being a couple of pieces of plasticard strip, glued to the sides of the I beam. The inner stanchion just has a thin upright inner post , sticking up from the deck to act as a guide and securing method, but sturdy enough to resist slight knocks and bangs during transit.

I have the centre access panel for the motors sorted, this is held down by the superstructure, once lowered in place, so thats is secure. I have just to work out a sneaky design for the larger battery access cover, then something to hold down the crane assembly, so i can still get to the servo's to operate it if necessary.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 14:37:19 »
Time to move on to yet more deck furniture and to construct the 6 roller fairleads. 4 are mounted on the forward deck and 2 at the stern. They are basically flat sided open boxes with double sets of rollers inserted, to allow easy running of a cable hawser.
Construction of them starts off easily enough, making the frames from 1.5mm plasticard, using the original plans to mark out the hole centres for the rollers, before you glue all the bits together.
The rollers were cut from some 5mm dia hollow plastic tube with some 1/5mm solid rod acting as the centre fixing bar run through the rollers and glued to the frame.

The stern sets are left as a basic square frame, whilst the 4 forward deck units have some further additional support brackets to help hold them square to the deck, as there is not bulwark for support on the forward deck area, just open railings once fitted.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 12:12:51 »
Ive now given the rollers their first/initial weathering coat, so I can now attach them to the deck, alongisde the double bollard sets. I made up a plastic template to ensure they were setup equally in position on both sides of the deck area, this was made from a piece of scrap plasticard cut from an earlier item piece.

I have now also started construction of the main winch roller assemblies, the two outer ones sit on a platform, the centre one, sitting straight to the deck, to maintain the level of the winch rope when hauled from the stern to the bows to go over the heavy lifting horns on the bows.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 08:48:30 »
Nice work. Looks like she is going to have lots of detail to keep you busy for a while.
VGJQ

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 08:56:10 »
Yes, there is a huge amount of items not shown on the "myhobbystore" plans that have been omitted for  making a simple build so to speak. but thanks to an "ex skipper" I have an extensive number of actual photo's of the real vessel to work off, so I can replace what some artists pencil rubber took away!
It just makes things a little more difficult, having to scratch build everything, but use a scale off other things shown in photos as a "gauge" for size and dimensions, then start cutting things out of plasticard, strip and rod to complete all the fittings.

Dont worry, its all good fun and a challenge which is more to my liking, I hate boring "mundane" kit builds [ha ha].
Best Wishes.

Gregg.