Author Topic: Glue for Styrene.  (Read 10976 times)

mersey dave

Glue for Styrene.
« on: February 17, 2011, 07:57:06 »
Can anyone tell me the best glue for Styrene.

Many thanks Dave.

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
Re: Glue for Styrene.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:35:32 »
Styrene Glue ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Suds
"Suds"

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:07:19 »
Very funny!!

I use gel CA, but plastic cement also works. :) :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 19:11:57 by tugs53 »
MIKE

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:12:38 »
Styrene glue actually melts the plastic temporarily and allows it to bond together for a strong glue joint. Using this glue will allow you to have some fudge time to make adjustments. Also, if you have a boo boo you can mix a little plastic with some glue to make a nice filler.
VGJQ

jan41

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 14:59:49 »
Can anyone tell me the best glue for Styrene.

Many thanks Dave.

hello dave

buy RUDERER L-530 it,s the best.

gr jan

CGAux26

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 15:14:42 »
Buy a can of MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) from your hardware store (about $9 a quart over here).  Get a small glass jar with a tight metal lid, like pickled artichokes come in.   Make 1/4" hole in the lid, or a size for which you have a tight fitting plug.  Screw the lid on tight.

Pour in a bit of MEK.  Cut up a teaspoon or 2 of styrene into chips and put in it the jar.  Install the plug.  Go have a cold one, or wait until tomorrow (gives the styrene a chance to dissolve).  You now have enough cheap styrene glue to build the Queen Mary at 1:24.  Apply with a small brush or a syringe or a dropper.  This can be used to fill very small gaps in styrene, too.

My Loyal Volunteer is built this way.  This technique is given in the kit's instructions, from Model Slipways.
Dave

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 18:38:47 »
Years ago - 60's - I used to build model railroad stuff using styrene and MEK (Al Armitage days). I'm not so sure MEK is good for you especially if there isn't a good air flow. I've been using Ambroid Pro Weld (LHS suggested it) and have had great results. Touch the joint and it runs and welds basically. The latest one is Flexifill - Plast I Weld, again from the same fellow. Once in awhile I go back and use CA but the joints tend to be brittle.

mersey dave

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 04:48:23 »
Thanks for all the replies once again great tips. :) :) :) :)

Regards Dave.

canute

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 07:25:56 »
I've had good luck with 'Zap A Gap' on just about anything. Can pick it up at the local hobby store.
Kim

nhp651

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 11:46:05 »
i always use "PLASTIC WELD"......just brilliant
I'll get it right ONE DAY

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 05:02:37 »
If that is the same Plastic Welder that I used the fumnes will have you remembering the 60s.
VGJQ

mike

• Very New to All This
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 08:43:53 »
If you want lots and cheap buy it from Plumbers merchants or B&Q its the stuff they use for joining plastic pipes, electricians use the same stuff for joining conduit comes in a 250ml tub with applicator brush. At B&Q you will have to ask for it, they keep it under the counter away from the glue sniffers.
I prefer the Humbrol/Revel that comes in a blue container with a yellow cap and a long applicator nozzle, you can get it into corners and control exactly where you apply it.

Mike
Le Caux Deux