Author Topic: settling on the tug/tug aquired  (Read 14464 times)

chrisuk

Re: settling on the tug/tug aquired
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 08:42:19 »
Just got it into the bath, i have a new question how far should it be sitting in the water. I have 2 6v an 1 12v battries in it. But not sure if it quite right. iam still not sure about what the power is like as i am a motor down but thats not the question.

the boat has a false bottom flood chamber thing will that help or should i use dead/working waight?

not sure if you can quite see it though.

Iam looking to get the mmm T12 motors will these be ok

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 11:43:45 »
She looks to be floating okay in the water and those T12 motors are very good and powerful. plenty for what you want.. :) :)
Barry

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 12:18:36 »
Glad you got the model Chris  :)

Just a quick comment ; She is an Anchor Handler, therefore the capstain that is situated 'midships' ahead of the roller needs to be removerd as does the bulwark that is also next to it, an anchor is designed to come onto the deck via the roller and pulled up the deck, in the case of your model 'no-can-do'.

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

chrisuk

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 13:08:08 »
As for the depth iam happy then :), an thank you sea.mariner about the capstain an bulwark as soon as i saw it my 1st thought. but they are not an issue as the mo. My man one is the motor, i got it out why do people build boats an but the motors in before they but the deck an supports in :o. well over an hour to get out the motor 4 screws which were all diffrent heads but an inch long angry

Well the motor is a decaperm 6v done a google search one shop 100 :o :o. who makes them ferrari???

what are they like though, how reliable are they what sort off warrenty an service do you get, or not bother an get diffrent, as mmm do the T12 which footski says will do, or there is the T24 or BF24? big props an korts mmm told me for that so iam rulling them out at present

dumbplum

• Stevenage Model Boat Club
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 13:23:34 »
For those size props (if you're keeping them the same), a pair of MMB 755 motors would be perfect. Two new motors, and two korts from MMB will be 15 more than just the one T12. I know what I'd choose...

chrisuk

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 15:08:57 »
thanks i just gave mmb a shoot he will be getting some in next week think i will give them a go have to safe a few quid as the heart an brains needs sorting as well

woodbutcher

• Lloyd B. Gore
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 18:55:38 »
I run decaperms in my boats and find them to be extremely reliable, quiet,powerful, lots of torque at low revs,low amperage draw,can't beat them. Probably have a 2.75/1 gear reduction and will turn props at least up to 3/12" or 87mm. If I were you Iwould try to fix it or at least save the good one for a worthwhile future project.Al

chrisuk

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 03:42:01 »
dont think the one can be fixed looks a bit burnt out. as for the other will look at a new project in the future. may get these mmb 750s an try them if not use the mmm T motors. sent action an email but didnt suggest anything just said look at website an get new motors.

chrisuk

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 04:37:24 »
looking at the action website the P94 looks to do the job, twin motors an thrusters, (might add a stern) i did send an email an had a reply from them. In other news tried that dead motor, as suggested earlier by oll an Cragsider and it does work, must the esc which does not :( So spent a lifetime getting it out an it works, it looks like black greese (marmite colour) :-[.

But may put it back in an get new esc's an try again  :) cheaper option at the moment

mersey dave

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 05:28:18 »
Chris have you checked to see if there is power getting to the esc's.

Regards Dave.

chrisuk

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 05:53:05 »
power to one but stripped the boat down an found that there is a burnt wire from the speed controller to what looked like the burnt motor so now iam not sure what is up, is it the motor or was it the speed controller.???

motor works with direct power but could do with a bit more go but will look deeper

mersey dave

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 06:03:10 »
Chris you say the wire from the speed controller the motor has burnt out, now this must be joined by a terminal block or some other method if it is and the burnt out wire is from this connection to the motor then i would replace with new wire an re check. Also make sure you insert in line fuses in order to protect your esc's and motors from this happening again.

Regards Dave.

chrisuk

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 06:13:41 »
was joined to a terminal block yes but also had going in was the second controller a pump for the fire jets an bow thruster, it did look  >:D so i will sort this an try again, as for a fuse it didnt not have one where should i place this an what size should i fit

mersey dave

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 06:25:15 »
Chris i my self have a fuse between the battery and esc and another one between the esc and motor.
As for the size of fuse the way i do it is if say the speed controller is say 25 amps i would have a fuse of 20 amps or even lower if i can.

Regards Dave.

woodbutcher

• Lloyd B. Gore
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 07:34:28 »
if those decaperms are 6 volt, they only draw 7 amps at stall, I normally use a 10 amp fuse which only blows if I fill the 3" nozzle with ice or some other flotsom, that and #13 wire means no burnt motors or wires.Al