Author Topic: Re: BRAT look-alike Tug Build  (Read 19163 times)

west coast tug

Re: Re: BRAT look-alike Tug Build
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 19:08:38 »
I feel I should respond to this build of "A" Bratt .
The Office of Robert Allan RAL Ltd. Has taken note of the copyright infringement.
It is realized that all info was reproduced from magazine articals published todate.
The production of 1 (one) hull is not an offence to this copyright , But selling of copies is.
For the purpose of selling future copies written confirmation with RAL Ltd. is required.
This is a warning.

seahunt56

Re: BRAT look-alike Tug Build
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 07:30:29 »
  I HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!   I do not recall anywhere in my posts where I said that I was going to "Sell" anything.  If I could have figured out a way to make a hull another way I would have.  But making a plug seemed like the way to go.  Maybe more work for me and more out of pocket expence, but I think the finished product will be far nicer then trying to make a hull when I did not have any scale drawings to go from. 
  There is a saying that goes something like "A copy is the best form of flattery".    As I posted earlier, I have to much on my plate to try and turn out copies of this hull.  I have my own business, I have had to take over the business of my 81 year old father, I teach a dog agility class, and the usual around the house stuff.  I do not have time to start another business. 
  Scared???  Shaking in my boots!!!    NOT       Hey RAL Ltd.   You have a great looking little tug, and I though that I would make one to run on a local pond.   Enough Said!

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 14:24:43 »
I agree with you seahunt. You're not making a Bratt Tug, you are making a toy based on your interpretation of what you think a Bratt tug looks like. I'd be amazed if anyone confused your model with a real Bratt.

seahunt56

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 15:30:34 »
Thanks!

Kiwinz

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 17:40:51 »
Does anyone know this poster WEST COAST TUG person or is he just a mouth piece. He has other postings but is he a true model maker or does he want to have the only RAL tugs and wants no one else with them.

Does anyone out there have any contact with the actual company of RAL or know any of there principle designers. Sure they may be one of the leading tug design comapnies and have worldwide coverage but I would be very interested in the actual responce of RAL and what they see as the implications for a hobby model maker who is interpreting very simplistic printed material for there own use.

Is this a big issue or just one persons hobby horse.

VANYA

C-10

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 01:21:43 »
 ::) ::) ::) ::)

I aggree with your post VANYA   ----  WEST COAST TUG has issued a warning (or an empty threat)
           not RAL, if he`s a bona fide spokesperson for RAL, then protocol would have dictateded he signed his
           position within the company for any future correspodence.

regards
                                     pompy boy

seahunt56

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 03:54:16 »
  I contacted Robert Allen Ltd. back in December and got a reply Jan. 3rd, about getting a set of drawings to make a model.  They said no. which was not a suprise. 
  So I got all the pictures I could off the internet and went about making my hull.  As of this post I have changed the hull slightly to my liking and I have been thinking about a name change for my hull.  Any suggestions? 

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 05:32:55 »
Sea Hunter,

I feel sorry for you that you have been victimized, especially by WEST COAST TUG, whom I am informed is a model builder and thankfully not living in my country.

I have read that RAL has in the past persued "like design" infringements but it really disappoints me that they take the low road to punish the marine model builder, and albertly one like you that have exibited the skill in determination to construct the model from meger paper drawings published in freely available media sources. As a supposed leader in the tug design industry, I can grant that they rank at the bottom in the public relation list in the service to interested participants in a leisure hobby of world wide range. If they believe that they are such a unique institution and have such valuable design foresight why then do they publish any information in the media.

They are rather short sighted if they believe that material printed will not result in re-creations appearing on ponds around the world from time to time. Is that not why companies publish such data so that the world can see what they have to offer and the ideal medium one would think would be to see how popular and versatile they could be. Who knows it is very likely that a model could spur a young persons career in the maratime industry, at the very time when there is a sever shortage of qualified seagoing personal worldwide. Also the skills required of a model builder maybe the very skills that very company might needs in the future.

It is the primary desire of the model builder, be it airplanes, train or boats to construct something that makes them tick. We all know that if you cannot buy it then you make it so by furfilling you hobby. That is why you have choosen it... it create.My advice is just to keep doing what you are, build boats and furfill your desires but don't publish everything even though we would all like to see it. We know what pains you have gone through to build your hearts desire but do not be put off as you will make it in the end. I wish you luck. Just remember there are a lot more nice tugs designs out there and if RAL don't care about us then we won't care about them. There are plenty of other helpful companies out there without them.

Happy building.

VANYA

VANYA

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 07:48:54 »
Come on guys, leave west coast tugs alone. He has simply pointed out potential problems and is quite right to remind us. Obviously in this particular case, no copyright infringement has taken place, but both he and RAl were not to know this...

Lets get back to a good build thread..

Barry
Barry

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 08:32:55 »
I`ll second that :) :)
MIKE

seahunt56

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 09:19:13 »
I appreciate everyones opinions, Thanks.  I am continuing with my build.  I really like the tug the way it is coming out, with the slight changes I have made.  On with the work........

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 12:45:48 »
Ok granted.

Just call it Atug .......and for god sake don't paint it silver.

Looking forward to seeing it on the water in due course.

VANYA
VANYA

seahunt56

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 13:13:07 »
NO WAY am I going to use that "other" name again.   Steve

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 15:06:41 »
Steve,

I have a bad taste in my mouth too.

Did you see on the net where RAL had been using photos from various sources for there own purpose without authorisation. Think I read it on Shipspotting.

http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=7620.0

I now know what RAL really stands for.

All the best.
VANYA

RBI

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 15:11:20 »
Building a great little tug for your own use is always OK, in the past people have built models with out the ok of the RAL and in one case the drawings ended up at a shipyard in the far east where full sized Tugs showed up. so you can see that there is more the story.