Author Topic: RADIO TX ADVICE  (Read 3617 times)

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter
RADIO TX ADVICE
« on: March 19, 2011, 13:18:50 »
I am building my first scratch build and although I've settled on what rc functions I intend to incorporate, I've yet to decide on a transmitter to go for. Whatever I get, I would like it to flexible enough to fit functions of future projects too so as to get some long term use out of it.
I'm keen on the Robbe FC-16 Boat 'n' Truck as it can be expanded with navy twin stick and plenty of switch/prop functions but as a long term investment is it daft to buy into old tech? The 2.4Ghz TX's seem to have their advantages but I'm struggling to find one that is as expandable as the FC-16.
There seems to a few TX modders out there but I'm pretty sure that's beyond my capabilities!
Do you know of any 2.4Ghz units that may suit?

As an example My current build should end up with following:
Twin main 'engines' but independently controlled
Twin rudder on single servo
Two independent tunnel thrusters (2 x sliders?)
Working anchor motor (heave, let go)
Possibly working crane (slew, up/down, wire/hook control)
7 sets of switched light sets
Switched fog horn
Switched radar unit

Would be grateful for any advice!

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: RADIO TX ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:50:28 »
Welcome to the Forum, Cap. A friendly place to visit with many helpful folks out there.

In answer to your Tx question--I have heard of people activating thrusters from their rudder servos when they are at full turn. I have used a single servo for multiple functions by having switches activated based on the direction of travel. For instance, on one of my tugs by moving a gimbal in one direction and holding it there it activates a fire monitor pump. The pump is off when the gimbal is released. Push the same gimbal in the other direction and it turns on the lights. Push it again and they turn off. Check with Action (see link at left side of screen) they may have something that will multiply your functions. They are quite helpful.

TM
VGJQ

chipchase

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 14:48:19 »

Hi I would go for the Robbe, as you have said the unit is expandable. Looking at the functions that you want to control the Robbe is the one that would most suit your requirements (not cheep). I use a Futaba that is more than adequate for my requirements. I donít own a 2.4GHz unit so I can not comment on them, quite a few of the club members have the 2.4s and they think that they are the best thing since sliced bread, but the cost of the receivers (£65 plus) puts me off buying this type of unit.
Brian

FLJ

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 01:39:36 »
As Brian says, the Robbe sets are the only ones now available which have the capability of being expanded. Graupner have quietly dropped the old MC-series marine modules and their new 2.4GHz sets are aimed squarely at the aircraft/helicopter market.
I've never been convinced about the merits of the twin-stick Navy version of the F14/16 series; IMHO it appears awkward to operate the twin throttle sticks when "split" and you lose the facility to have a side-to-side left-hand stick for a bow-thruster. BTW the difference between the F14 and F16 is that the latter is a computer radio (model memory etc etc) while the former isn't.
Although the Robbe sets are still on 40MHz I think there are a few conversion kits around to modify them to microwave, but why would you want to? As more and more people switch to 2.4GHz then that frees up the 40 meg band for other users. You can also operate a submarine on the VHF band, which isn't possible with 2.4Giggles.
I have three 2.4GHz sets (Futaba, Spektrum and Planet) for compatibility testing with our units. As far as I am concerned their main advantage is that you can't poke anyone in the eye with the aerial! I can also say that if any customer requires multiple functions such as you have listed - and has the budget for it - then I always recommend the Robbe F14/16 sets.
Suit yourself.
FLJ
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:41:33 by FLJ »

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 14:46:05 »
Thanks for the input and for the welcome MTM! It is indeed a friendly and helpful forum; I'm sure my wife thinks I've spent more time on it than I should already, but it's a mine of info and it's great to see peoples models. It's nice to be able to ask people stuff and tap in to their experience; which I'm lacking at the moment!

Before I stumbled across this forum I was set on a FC-16 and had planned an installation but reading some positive comments on the 2.4Ghz system I wondered if I was taking the wrong route.
I'd spent quite a bit of time looking through Actions site and I like their units.
But with wanting to have a number of switchable functions the Multi16 seemed like a compact solution which could be moved between models.
FLJ, I like your comment re the main advantage! and it's a good point that 2.4Ghz free's up 40Mhz more. So maybe stick to the Robbe TX's then.

BTW, it's a bit off thread but a question for you FLJ; if i connect a viper marine ESC to a Action P63 and want to disable the Viper's BEC, do I disconnect the red wire from the ESC to the P63 or the red wire from the P63 to the receiver? And, is it advisable to connect both Main motors to the P63 or will this cause problems? Sorry if these are stupid questions but it gets a bit confusing sometimes! confused
I've attached pdf's of planned set up. The idea is being able to move units between models to keep future install costs down.
I assume the thrusters could be controlled on the proportional linear sliders. Do you mean that the twin stick is too fiddly when split?

Cheers all,
CT

FLJ

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 00:40:22 »
CT
I've replied to your queries in a PM.
FLJ

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter