Author Topic: Logging barge build  (Read 24264 times)

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Logging barge build
« on: March 28, 2011, 17:40:21 »
Started my barge build about 2 weeks ago.  Supposed to be the Rivtow Hercules, or replica of.  Not much in the way of detail info or pics on the web.  Was able to expand on a small line drawing from the web, but really not much to work from.  If my calculations are right, it will be 152 cm long by 36 cm wide.  All wood construction.  Got some hints from Ron Burchett sp.?  So hope I can get it to dump ok.  Probably a lot of trial and error involved.  Will post progress.
                                 Norm

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
Re: Logging barge build
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 17:48:11 »
Nice workshop.

Looks like you have a good start Norm.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Suds
"Suds"

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 17:58:14 »
Thanks Suds, more like a messy workshop.  Gets that way when I have a project on the go.  You can't put your tools away after using them because you are just going to need it again.  Think I need a course on posting pictures.   
                                                   Norm
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 23:17:02 by Footski »

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 18:09:22 »
Try for 2 this time.

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 18:14:40 »
Decided to make the bow section out of solid (laminated) wood, as this will be where the tow chains will connect.   

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 19:07:15 »
What colours do you plan to finish with? RivTow??

I think the 'Hercules' has 'Favco' cranes, as the S/span barges use 'Heede' cranes, except for the 'Survivor' which has the 'Favco's off the 'Haida Brave'. :) :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinthom/653391931/in/photostream/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 19:43:04 by tugs53 »
MIKE

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 23:18:36 »
Hi Norm,

I have removed the duplicate photos for you and tidied the topic up. You seem to have the hang of posting pictures now. Any more problems send me a pm and I will happily assist you.

Barry
Barry

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 15:46:12 »
Thanks Barry and Mike.  Since I got most of my info from the web when it was the Rivtow Hercules, I think, even although it is now a Seaspan barge, I will go with the black and green.  Smit left it the Rivtow colours when they had it, and I will probably haul it with my Smit Nederland, so, today thats what it will be but maybe tomorrow it will end up something different.

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 19:27:01 »
Update for my barge build.  A note for any of you west coast builders.  Was in the local Windsor plywood store, and found a partial sheet of 1/8" Russian Baltic Birch plywood 4'X5' for $11.  Checked the price at a hobby shop and they want $32 for 12" X 48".  Could see where my barge build was going to cost me a fortune buying from the LHS.  Got more then enough for my build, but think I will get more at Windsor just to have on hand. (Thats the pack rat syndrome coming out!!!)  Any who--  progress is slow, too many other projects on the go.  Cut 5mm plywood strips for the curved portion of the hull.  Worked well, filled with epoxy.  Almost finished basic hull.

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 19:34:14 »
A couple of places in Victoria sell the baltic birch - sometimes 5ft square - at reasonable prices. I use the 1.5mm, 1/8 and 3/8 sizes -

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 19:41:03 »
YOUR BUILD IS LOOKING GREAT , KEEP THE PICTURES COMING .  PUFFIN

woodbutcher

• Lloyd B. Gore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 19:45:11 »
aircraft supply outlets have aircraft bich ply in thicknesses down to 1/64", the glue is waterproof, where the glue at windsor may not be, not too much of a problem if you seal everything with an epoxy sealer. Al

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 05:24:44 »
Nice looking build. :) :)

Looking forward to more.
VGJQ

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 20:05:20 »
Bit of an eye opener this week.  Ran out of 2 part epoxy in tubes, so went to get more.  Not much out there any more in tubes.  Ended up with the 2 part serynge type of epoxy, but needed gorilla hands to squeeze it out.  Found some still in tubes, but it is black.  like the clear stuff best.  Used up 4 tubes just sealing inside and out, the curved part (strips)on the hull.  Shouldn't need any more.  Picked up another sheet of 1/8 baltic birch 5'X5'  for $19.99   Should finish off my project with lots left over.   If anyone knows where Seaspan is hiding the Rivtow Hercules, and is able to get some close up pictures for detail, I would sure appreciate it.
                                      Norm

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 21:39:15 »
NIECE LOOKING BUILD , keep the pictures coming .  PUFFIN