Author Topic: Swire 'B' Class AHTS/UT-720  (Read 16535 times)

seahawk 1

Swire 'B' Class AHTS/UT-720
« on: March 30, 2011, 13:23:11 »
I suppose I should quit hijacking Brian's thread and start my own.  Have been greatly inspired by Brian's work on his tug and can't stay away from the OSV site.  :-[
I ordered a hull/deck/and deck structures from www.kagelmacher-modellbau.de in February.
This should be arriving in the next few days.  52" LOA x 12" beam.  Been mostly researching while I wait and have to give credit to http://www.swire.com.sg/ as they have GA plans in PDF format for their entire fleet.  I have also found this site, courtesy of Andre Kagelmacher: http://b-o-s-berlin.de/
In starting this build, I hope to improve my own machining skills (which will never be that of Brian's) and learn more new skills along the way. There will be LOTS of photos posted with this build and I will be asking LOTS of questions  :)

Mike
I took an I.Q. test once..........The results came back negative.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: Swire 'B' Class AHTS/UT-720
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 17:34:57 »
Looking forward to it Mike :) :) :) :)
MIKE

biggerstretch

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 20:55:43 »
http://b-o-s-berlin.de/

nice bit of topless babes too .... :-*

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Any comment I make is the official view of all the voices in my head.

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 04:52:01 »
Looking forward to your build as well Mike.
VGJQ

seahawk 1

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 14:52:52 »
This is all I have to show for now.  Received my props from PropShop today.WOW. :)
Belt drives and 70mm Mobile Marine Korts, might be enough to power this beast.

Mike

chipchase

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 12:18:18 »
Good quality props Seahawk I have used this company’s products on a few of my builds ,exhalent quality. I have looked at your photo of your motor drive system and correct me if I am wrong, It looks like the MFA 800 or the 850 belt drive set up. If I am right on my assumption I have used this setup before and was disappointed with the performance of these units (and very noisy) . I fitted them into my Flying  Spindrift build (she is only 40in long). I removed them after her second  sea trials and fitted direct drives. Your new build is a big model and I do not think that the units you have chosen will be powerful enough for her.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:21:34 by chipchase »
Brian

seahawk 1

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 13:42:11 »
You are correct, they are 850's.  I had these and thought to give them a try.  These are actually very quiet, but believe they would perform better direct and save the belts for something else.
Been making the pivots for my beckers today, will post pics later.

Mike

chipchase

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 14:47:12 »
I have used the same motors direct drive Mike and as you say they are quiet and have a lot of torque , you should not have any problems with them on direct drive. looking forward to your Becker ruder build.   
Brian

Type212

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 00:37:25 »
Did you received hull for UT 720? How it looks, quality is OK? I an thinking about this ship too.Are they selling set of pitures?? How long is delivery time?

seahawk 1

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 13:15:12 »
Did you received hull for UT 720? How it looks, quality is OK? I an thinking about this ship too.Are they selling set of pitures?? How long is delivery time?

At this point, I might have to suggest looking elsewhere.  These parts 'supposedly' shipped 3/11/11 and I have not seen them yet.
I have received no response to several inquiries about what method it was shipped, DHL/FEDEX, etc and have never received a tracking number.
I think I am out $800.00.

Mike

Type212

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 11:24:59 »
So I know name of company, where I will NOT purchase hull for UT 720. Is safer to build it by myself, as spend a lot of money and received nothing.

Fatcat

• Dan's RC Boats
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 12:44:41 »
I heard about that!

Shocking to say the least. I feel for you my friend. I was also looking at the Swire tugs and was going to scale up to 1/24th but decided to save this build for a later time in my life as it would to say the least, make my parents VERY unhappy. The plans available on their site seem more than enough for me, some idiot who wants to build a big tug.

I really hope you get sorted with them sods  angry

Dan

chipchase

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 13:09:47 »
Sorry to here about the long wait Mike, but I would not give up yet. I have enquired about buying a hull from Canada and have been told it would take about 9 weeks to get to the UK. But I certainly think that the company that you purchased  the hull from should have responded to your enquiries, this forum has a lot of members that will be very interested in the outcome of this.
Brian

seahawk 1

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 13:47:45 »
I haven't given up yet, and have also considered a possible language barrier.  Though this did not seen to be an issue when paying, I don't think it to confusing to ask what method/listed and shipping/tracking#.  I am more concerned that it was misplaced/damaged/destroyed if the shipment was caught in one of the storms in the midwest.
If it was a question of non-stock items, I could understand, however, everything ordered was 'in stock-ready to ship' at time of payment.  Patience is a virtue.......... ???

Mike

Adam66

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 08:48:11 »
I think its an reliable firm, I have the Fairplay kit of this firm. Things can take some while, but I never heard off anyone who didn't got what they ordered.
I know they are very busy at the moment for commercial customers, so maybe that's a part of the delay.
I don't think you "lost"$ 800,=
Maybe I will meet Andre Kagelmacher next week during a meeting in Germany.
If he's there I will ask him about this UT720