Author Topic: Swire 'B' Class AHTS/UT-720  (Read 15186 times)

seahawk 1

Re: Swire 'B' Class AHTS/UT-720
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2011, 13:11:05 »
Finally got a little progress made, now that the weekend is here and raining...again  ???
Milled the notches in the nozzles for the rudder shoes, and built up some support platforms for the nozzles. One side about where I want it, then do the next side and fit some shaft supports.

I took an I.Q. test once..........The results came back negative.

Type212

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2011, 00:54:21 »
Hi Mike, so how it goes on your UT 720?  I am still waiting for my hull, there is vaccation ;-(

seahawk 1

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2011, 08:52:39 »
I have actually done nothing on it as I am still waiting for the long backordered bowthrusters.
In the meantime, after parting with a few 'will never get to' projects, I made an addition to the shop.
Found a HF 7x10 lathe at a VERY reasonable price on ebay, then upgraded it to a 7x14 and some 'toys' from little machine shop.  Since I have several winches to build, this was a nessecity ??? :)

seahawk 1

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 11:31:42 »
After a long time dealing with 'stuff', I finally got re-energized to attempt this once again.  I did lose interest after not being able to receive several parts that I ordered and were never delivered.  With the advent of 3-D printing, I was able to recently acquire several parts and renewed my interest in this build. I was able to obtain a pair of 3-D printed Becker rudders as well as several deck fittings.  I am just finishing up the rudder/Kort installation, have built wood frames to support the decks, and for additional inspiration, received a set of graphics I had custom made.  More will follow.

Michael

seahawk 1

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2016, 11:37:32 »
More

seahawk 1

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2016, 18:49:53 »
Rudder bases installed and stern thruster fit, ready for final attachment.

seahawk 1

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2016, 18:53:02 »

seahawk 1

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2016, 15:53:26 »
Cap rails made from 1/8" plastic tubing, split open with a dremel cut-off wheel.  Perfect fit.

seahawk 1

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2016, 20:35:15 »
I am still somewhat skeptical as to the quality of the hull, as it was obviously built with a 'twist' in it.  I do have to say though, as thin as it is, it is one tough hull.  It started stiffening up as I glued in the rear thruster, and with the inner framework temporarily screwed in, it is quite stiff.  Still, I am going to add some CF cloth to the floor and a 2" strip up the bow.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2016, 21:18:08 »
I wonder where "cap rails", got started.  Too me the cap on the rail is more properly called the rail cap, as that is what it is.  I was a shipwright for nearly 30 years and have heard both ways, but to me its a rail cap, not a cap rail. Just a random thought, not a criticism.

seahawk 1

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2016, 14:58:55 »
Would appear that 20 lbs. of batteries is not 'quite' enough to get to the waterline.  Will end up running 3 12v12/ah sla's in parallel for usable weight, then see how much dead weight I have to add.  This is only 2 batteries-all I have atm.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:58:47 by seahawk 1 »

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2016, 11:43:36 »
By the look of that waterline it's going to be pretty heavy when ballasted. Any thoughts on how you will launch it?

seahawk 1

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2016, 17:30:19 »
Batteries and ballast will be removable for transport.  Have some hull issues at the moment I am attempting to correct.  The hull had been 'patched' for some reason by the manufacturer, and I discovered during the initial float test I had a leak.  One small one at a shaft exit-my fault/easy fix-but water was coming in the port side of the hull rather rapidly.  The 'patch' was more of a band-aid, peeled off and resanded the hull and will have to recoat the entire inside with epoxy and light cloth as I also found several tiny pinholes that go clear through the hull.  1 step forward, 3 steps back.

seahawk 1

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2016, 17:53:47 »
All glass repairs are completed.  I went ahead and sanded and recovered both sides-inside with medium fiberglass 3" tape and epoxy.  Nice and tight/strong now.  3rd battery arrived, so have all 3 batteries=30+lbs. Also picked up some additional ballast supplies-1 1/4" PVC pipe/caps and a 25 lb. bag of #9 lead shot.  Getting closer.

seahawk 1

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2016, 17:49:07 »
This will take about 40 or so lbs to obtain a good waterline. The 3 main batteries + an additional 10 lbs does a good job.  After about 20 minutes in the 'test tank', another leak popped up.  Another separation between outer skin and inner glass.  Repairs underway, will find out in a few days.