Author Topic: please help me . re: speed controllers  (Read 5187 times)

boyracer081119

please help me . re: speed controllers
« on: March 31, 2011, 16:02:45 »
hi guys im new to all this rc stuff  , well building an rc model tug any way....
rite here goes .. i got the hull all built and everything in place .. servos conected ... just got my batterys for my hand set and not time to test it all .... teh problem i had was that the speed controller seems too small for the battery that i am using to run the motors
i think the speed controller came out of a car or maybe a plane running on what i would call a small battery ..... i have got a 12v, 9 amp motorbike battery and when i conected it,it worked and then ........ssssssss... pooooof lol there was a little hissing noise and a bit of smoke and a burning smell coming from the esc speed controller .... so basicaly what im asking is............ what speed controller do i need to run 2 motors off a 12v , 9amp battery

i would be really greatfull  if any 1 can help me out
                                                                       thanx . ian
ian mccaffrey

biggerstretch

Re: please help me . re: speed controllers
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 20:07:22 »
The motors will have a peak amperage draw, when you  hit full throttle or if the props get fouled ...That is the amperage you need to wory about...
I am running 12v and 15 amps of power to each of two motors. The motors have a 54 amp drain when stalled.The SC / BEC I use is raed for 50 amps forward and 20 amps in reverse ..
Having a SC rated for ALLOT more than what you have would be my answer. Being that I am not an electrician.
Oh , and try to get a waterproof unit if possible.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:30:27 by biggerstretch »
Any comment I make is the official view of all the voices in my head.

mersey dave

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 01:51:50 »
Hi Ian And welcome to the Forum, :) :)

In reply to your problem the best advice i can give is have a look at the ACTION Web site which you can find on the left of the home page.

I am sure you will find what you need, if in doubt send a message to them and i know they will help you in every way they can.

Regards Dave.

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:42:29 »
I have to agree with Dave. Bought an ESC from Action and got excellent service and a good product too. Also---Don't forget to install a breaker or fuse between your devices and the battery. When you let the smoke out of your ESC it won't work any more.
VGJQ

jabba

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 01:05:24 »
hi there mate
    most brushed car esc's are only rated at 7.2v-8.4v most of them won't take 12v.try cornwall model boats, they have plenty of esc's to choose from.also alot of us tug towers use electronize with great
results.
  jabba.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:09:38 by jabba »
If carlsberg made tugboats they would prob be the best tugs in the world

biggerstretch

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 08:09:09 »
lots of places to get them from however you still need to find one that will handle the amps ....

mersey dave

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 08:12:49 »
lots of places to get them from however you still need to find one that will handle the amps ....

Hi have you done an amp draw test on your motor.

Regards Dave.

boyracer081119

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 12:19:15 »
hi guys and thanx for all the help

i have not done a amp draw test, what is an amp draw test and how do i do it??
 thanx again
                  ian
ian mccaffrey

tango

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 12:34:59 »
Hi Ian, an amp draw test you connect an ammeter in line to one of your motor wires, then measure the amp draw when the motor is under load. This method can also be used to determine stall current (if the ammeter goes high enough) and setting up a coupling alignment (looking for the lowest current draw...)

Here is a pic taken when I was setting up the motor/shaft alignment on my Canning.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE JUST FOUND A 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 12:38:45 »
How many speed controls do you have Ian?

If only one; and yer using two motors...then you may want to think about another speed control, or add a 'mixer'.

Suds
"Suds"

biggerstretch

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 12:48:54 »
Hi Ian, an amp draw test you connect an ammeter in line to one of your motor wires, then measure the amp draw when the motor is under load. This method can also be used to determine stall current (if the ammeter goes high enough) and setting up a coupling alignment (looking for the lowest current draw...)

Here is a pic taken when I was setting up the motor/shaft alignment on my Canning.

Excellent picture

FLJ

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 14:01:48 »

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 18:30:16 »
Good point Suds!!

Makes sense to me.
MIKE

boyracer081119

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 13:12:48 »

awsome thanx mate i really appricate it ill have a go tonight
ian mccaffrey