Author Topic: What was the first 'tug'\you worked on  (Read 46356 times)

catengineman

What was the first 'tug'\you worked on
« on: December 13, 2007, 13:23:44 »
I thought that I would start this thread off with the simple question

What was the first tug you worked on be it real \or model/

My first was a little old (old being the operative word) beaver tug.

The company even supplied the donkey jacket to put on when working and then cover the engine when you went home after running ships lines to the moorings

Brrrrrr no wonder my bones ache so much now....

I'll try to find an old photo then scan it so I can post

R,

tango

Re: What was the first 'tug'\you worked on
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 13:51:37 »
I have never worked on a full size boat but the first model boat I built was a Billings Banckert. It was a great little boat and it gave me hours of pleasure, unfortunately I sold the model about 10 years ago and I have regreted it ever since. I have some old 35mm pics of her somewhere, if I can find them I will scan them and put them on here.

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE JUST FOUND A 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.

bigford

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 14:08:52 »
same here tango, my first tug was or is banckrt
witch was put to the side for the amsterdam,smit hunter,smit rotterdam
and a second hunter. yet she still sits in drydock waiting for her
motor and r/c gear
more boats then money

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 03:37:16 »
My first tug was a deep sea salvage one, the 'Afon Wen' (Ex 'Tasman Zee' of Smits) when I joined Holyhead Towing in 1977. I went to pick her up from Rotterdam and brought her back in a force 9 gale to Holyhead. I then joined her fleet mate, the 'Afon Goch' (Ex 'Schelde' of Smits). I stayed with the 'Afon Goch' but also did trips on the 'Afon Wen' (ex 'Plateau' of Port of  London Authority). I moved on to anchor-handling / tug / supply ships like the 'OIL Hustler' / 'Oil Venturer' / 'Oil Explorer' and then onto dive ships and straight supply boats.

I am now ashore, have been for 14 years, and had 20 good years at sea as an AB.

Just bought a second hand 'Zwarte Zee' which I plan to re-name 'Wite Zee' (sister ship). She needs a very small amount of work but plan to have her sailing for the summer.

Still a tug man at heart!

Jonty
“The good seaman weathers the storm he cannot avoid, and avoids the storm he cannot weather”

shipmate60

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 02:21:22 »
I first started on the Tugs in Portsmouth Harbour, but the first one that was "mine" was when I went to Chatham and was the Engineer on RMAS Brenda, a small girl class tug with a crew of 4.
Sirmar made a model of her, and yes I have built her!!

Bob

Mr Andy

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 15:05:20 »
Like some others I have never been to sea, my interest in tugs stems from my dads time on them with Holyhead Towing. I bought a Billings Zwarte Zee which is dtill unfinished but gets the occasional sail now and then, to cover the gap of nothing to sail I bought a Dickie Harbour tug RTR, now they are taking over.

Andy.  ;D

catengineman

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 09:07:42 »
Just had the nostalgic look back through my discharge book to see what tugs/ships I have sailed on
Just the tugs as this is a tug only site... ;D
Agnus Naja (Old girl class tug belonging to A C Bennett & Sons)
Arganaut B (Dutch type tug belonging to A C Bennett & Sons)
Rana (London Dock tug belonging to A C Bennett & Sons) (engine room controlled direct drive)
Mamba (London Dock Tug belonging to A C Bennett & Sons)
Billy Bennett (East German pushy tug "renamed & run by A C Bennett & Co" )
J R  (East German pushy tug "renamed & run by A C Bennett & Co" )
Linda Bennett (River/Sea towage tug belonging to A C Bennett & Sons )
Scotian Shore  (ex Nova Scotia AHST)
Te'a  (Ex East Baltic Navy tug, owned and run by Atlantic Marine Limited)
Neptun (Ex East Baltic dive support tug owned and run by Atlantic Marine Limited)
Afon Las (Welsh shallow water tug owned and run by Holyhead Towing Limited)
North Stack (Welsh shallow water tug survey owned and run by Holyhead Towing Limited)
That little lot has brought me up to date with the tugs and I will be rejoining the North Stack on the 27th in N, Ireland. Life is so much easier when you are away from the big stuff ;D ;D

Norry M

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 15:21:26 »
I Spent a few very happy teenage years aboard the ICI owned Harbour Tug "GARNOCK" operating at Irvine on the Firth Of Clyde...

How many of you guys have seen or built a model of this wee tug ?...

I was Engineer on board her when Caldercraft decided to make a model kit of our pride & joy... I showed them all round the vessel & gave them a set of plans to be getting along with...

...Now here,s the Good Bit...
In the kit you get 3 or 4 wee crew characters to put onto your finished model...The one that is positioned on the Starboard side of the After Tow Deck, Leaning on the Gunwhales is Me...

And I,ve got the picture to prove it...(If I can find it ,  I,ll post it...) A copy of this picture was given to Caldercraft when i met them at a Model Boat Show a couple of years ago...

...Beat That Ya Buggers...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 15:57:24 by Norry M »
Get Yir Tugs Oot Furri Bouys

ARH

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 15:47:24 »
And he,s been leaning on the side ever since.  ;D ;D

trawlermanpete

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 11:48:18 »
My first tug/anchor handler was the Hudson Service owned by Zapata Marine she was Canadian flagged registered in Vancouver and we were working her in the Northsea (1976)

lightshipman

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 13:24:41 »
Mine was the Tijgerhai (Pronounced tiger high!!!) a small Delta built tug 1972, she was owned by Colvin Hamilton of HMD from Donagadee .
Viking (Jan Coerts). Goliath (Spithead towing),  Soveriegn (Calmet Towing).

Then Whittaker Tankers, and laterly (15years), Trinity House vessels Lucia and Mair based in the Bristol Channel.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 13:26:27 by lightshipman »
Keeping the Bristol Channel safe
Nav Aids Tender Skipper

Stefan

• tugboats.de
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 00:38:11 »
Hello,
I sailed as a navy officier on different kinds of german navy vessels from 1991-1997. After I returned to shore I started to built my first tugboat model. She is a Shoalbuster 2409 called Elizabeth from Damen/ the Netherlands.

best regards
Stefan
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 00:57:18 by Stefan »
"Splice the mainbrace!"

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 09:10:31 »
I started working on the tugs when I was twelve years old, and still in Private School. Whenever I had some school holidays, I'd hop on a tug for as long as I could! Usually the 'Seaspan Daring'.
I never got paid, but learn't the ropes,(and wires), so when I was out of school, I went straight to work for Seaspan! That was 32 years ago, and a few employers since!!  ;D
ARRRRR!!!!!   

Mike
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 18:04:45 by tugs53 »
MIKE

make it six am 2moro

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 11:43:06 »
SUN X1 summer of 1960, a real tug not one of the so called Yachts won't say to much in case I upset anyone!

;D

Ray
let go forward

Flyers

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 14:08:58 »
The first tug I ever joined was the 'Formby', an old 'Cock' tug that was taken over by Alex Towing.

Having spent a good few years cadging trips on the 'Alfred' I was amazed to see the spartan conditions for the crew on this boat. Built in the late 50's she was dark, cramped and the accommodation was unbelievable. It looked as though it had just been thrown together.

Unlike other tugs I had been on she had no capstan and all the gog work was done by hand in all weathers. Certainly a boat to make a man out of a boy.

Toilets, well lets just say a bucket came in handy!!!!

George.