Author Topic: What was the first 'tug'\you worked on  (Read 55739 times)

biggav

Re: What was the first 'tug'\you worked on
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 02:38:43 »
the first tug i went aboard was the collingwood on the mersey and i have been on basically every tug now thats on the mersey! and i was going out on them for quite some years nearly every weekend!!!

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 10:25:29 »
HI ALL ; My TUG was a up river lake boat .  It was 38 feet long and 8 foot beam . The so called wheelhouse was 4 feet wide and 6 feet long . There was barely room for two persons . Towing logs was okay ,but scows or barges was real scary. When I ask about stove or a bunk ,I was told you are here to work not sleep .                   PUFFIN

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 18:53:39 »
38 feet with an 8 foot beam :o

That's one narrow tug!!
MIKE

CaptainSeaspan

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 10:31:57 »
I think the first tug i worked on as deckhand at about 16--17 y o was a Vito built single screw boat called the Naniamo Yarder for a local  company ...then called Chemainus Towing now called Jones Marine Services owned by 3 diff ppl Jones being one of them.deckhand on the first hull built in Canada with all of the accomodations above the water line named after one of the founders of Chemainus Towing ...GD Hemmingsen now called North Arm Dilligentand then the other founders named tug the Hamilton Baillie now called Island Defender which my father was master from new vessel in 1977 until the vessel was sold  some  yrs later in 1995.tons more vessels until i got my Masters cert in 1996 and have been master at Seaspan Int since 2000 on all of their river tugs inc the 2 newest ones SSVenture/Tempest built 2004 now sailing as master still on their coastal boats...................the best part of a coastal masters job is signing the overtime sheets :) :)so i make my own payroll.next is the time off.right now ive been off since Dec 9 2008 and not shed. to return until Jan 20 2009 and not miss a pay check ......................Paul

ray28507

• Admiral Poster
  • shuswap
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 13:34:26 »
hi captainseaspan  sounds like you have the best job  :) there (do you have a vacancy's lol) 
regards ray
B.C tugs >>  ken mackenzie~07   nellie irene~07    freewinds ~04       sidewinder'in b.c~11'   iron horse~12  malley b~16  western mariner ~14  shuswap ~17
  u.s.a tugs> >  nanuq~11  in the build  hunter  - david j

Quadcap

• Hours of boredom moments of sheer terror
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 11:26:37 »
The first tug I sailed on was the "Marlin II". She was an 84' wooden tug, built in 1905. She was converted from steam to diesel in the 1940's. She had a 5 man crew and was mostly towing logs from Beaver Cove to Howe Sound on the British Columbia coast. I sailed on her for about 2 years and got a promotion to mate on a smaller vessel. You didn't need a ticket to sail as mate in those days.
My first model is Model Slipways Yorkshireman and I am about 1/2 finished. I am looking forward to getting her to the pond.
Cheers
Jim

tango

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 11:38:48 »
Hi Jim, looking forward to seeing some pics of your Yorkshireman build, it is a real nice looking tug.

Welcome to the forum,

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE JUST FOUND A 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 11:06:59 »
Welcome Aboard Jim:
I too, would love to see some pics of your build :) :)

This tug look familiar?
MIKE

Quadcap

• Hours of boredom moments of sheer terror
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 12:58:35 »
It looks very familiar, great shot. She had a dark blue hull with a red and white house when I was on her, but she does look good in towboat buff and a black hull. Thanks.
I will post some pics of the Yorkshireman as soon as I figure out how to do that.
Cheers,
Jim

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 17:44:39 »
Hi Jim:
Thought you'd like that pic!
Can't picture the old "marley" in the colours you mentioned...but she's a nice old tug.
I made an offer to buy it, back in 1991 (or so), when she was tied up in Cowichan Bay, and part of the 'Newman' fleet of 'retired tugs', but someone else bought her, spent Lot's of dough on her stern and bottom, and put her to work tending 'fish-farms'. I guess that didn't last long, as she was once again up for sale, and went 'cheap' ( I hear) to a couple down in Tacoma WA.
They did lots of work to her, using her as a pleasure boat and liveaboard, and actually found a way to access all the cabins on the main deck; without having to go outside.
She's a very narrow boat, for 80' long, huh?
She used to attend our 'Wooden Boat Festival' here at Maple Bay Marina, yearly, under that ownership, but I hav'nt seen her since 2004.

Posting pictures here is quite easy!
Follow these steps:
1) Have pictures in your computer files.
2) Begin a post with text, and then where it says 'Additional Options', click on 'Browse'.
3) Add up to 3 pictures, and then finish the post.
** You MAY see an Error message appear once the posting has been uploaded, but the posting has gone through.
4) Return to the 'Home Page', and then click on your posting, to view, or modify, if necessary.

...Cheers...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 18:08:53 by tugs53 »
MIKE

willowgarth

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2009, 12:01:54 »
I started on tugs as a deckie in the 40's and soon after joining my first tug we towed an aircraft carrier from Barrow to Liverpool to have her props fitted etc, a  self styled 'Towage Advisory Superintendant' from the office was on board our tug to "supervise" the job.
My tug was on the stern while the other two boats took the bow and, when we cleared the channel, we were told to let go and make fast to the port bow tug to help with the towing. This was done and soon we were moving along at a fair speed, that is until the 'super' had a bright idea and said "Why not give the lads a bit of exercise and put her into hand steering".The skipper said that was not a good idea but the 'super' pulled the pin out of the steering engine anyway, suddenly everything went pearshaped and our tug veered to starboard across the bows of the other two tugs and we had to slip the towline sharpish. The starboard tug managed to get a line on the port tug who now had our full length of deep sea towrope trailing aft and in great danger of picking it up in his prop. All this palaver resulted in tugs out of position with slack towlines while the carrier was still bowling along and threatening to overrun them. After everyone sorted themselves out we had to go alongside and put some of our crew on the port tug to help recover our towline by hand which took hours of backbreaking work.
Of course, when we got in earshot, our 'super' got his fortune told by a very rattled skipper in a tirade which cast doubt on his sanity, parenthood and much else besides. The 'super'went red with rage and said to our skipper, "You heard what that man said?" The skipper replied "Yes Sir, every word. He is asking us to stand off to the Nor'ard for the time being". The deflated 'super' just mumbled "Thats what I thought he said". I, being a new lad on board was kept well clear of the tricky stuff and was told to stay close to the great man from the office 'in case he needed anything' and I just assumed all this was perfectly normal.        Happy days!!!

Willowgarth
Fred, (I can't walk on water but I have staggered on whisky)

catengineman

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009, 13:35:39 »
Hi willowgarth,
You have just reminded me of a time when my normal skipper was off and a relief skipper brought in for a tow job, all was great we arrived at the distressed ship first thing that worried me was when the skipper asked for the rib to be launched to take a line to the ship?

after some time, and a drifting dead ship we managed to get a line to it but the crew made fast with the messenger. again after yet more time one of the ships mooring lines was lowered to us and we shackled our tow to that, the ships crew could not pull our gear up. All fast the signal was given to the skipper that deck was secure and clear. It was then that 4,500 Kw of engines went from gear engaged to 75% ahead and the warp took up and parted the ships mooring line despite having free run on the tow winch.
A lot of " you said it was made fast" and "ships line must have been crap" The second mate took over and when we had reconnected the gear the second mate took up the tow gently but with full control then when we were up to about 8 knots he gave command back to the skipper! A load of phone calls to the company office about crew NOT doing what he said and he had been a skipper for years and never had any trouble before, turned out he had never towed anything but had pushed lots of barges, he got off in Southampton and I have never seen him since, we had to get another agency chap to tack the tug back to home port.

willowgarth

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 14:27:59 »
Hello Catengineman,
Thanks for the memory, I seem to recall reading a post on the forum from someone saying that 'Full size towing is easier than model tug towing'. We might possibly disagree?
Cheers Willowgarth
Fred, (I can't walk on water but I have staggered on whisky)

catengineman

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 01:07:50 »
Hello  willowgarth

I think full size towing is easier!  ;D in some ways  ;D

Towing with your models is fun (that dont look or read right) but it has not earnt me any money as yet  ;D
I have tandem towed with my skipper and as we both knew what we were trying to do (berth a vessel) it went very smoothly, I have watched two people try to do a similar action and seen it all go pear shaped, it all comes down to communication even on real tugs the control is done by one person calling the shots.
In Germany the lead tug is the control, on close quarter work it was normally the ship which was control.
in that respect the tug was just a "thruster".
When towing with your model it is you that become control (unless in multi tow then it should be lead tug, or designated person) just to make life easier (in my honest opinion)
Though it is no matter what way it is done when you look at what we are doing = light relief, enjoyment, fun, after all it is a hobby :D
R,

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 07:18:02 »
I'd agree with that statement Catengineman.

The scale of things, being the most obvious difference, considering that 'almost all' of our models are way over-powered, and many of our tows are way under displacement.

Also, I've noticed a difference in how a 'scale' tow behaves in saltwater vs freshwater, due to the density difference, especially in the summer.
Seeing as the ocean is right outside my door, it's very handy, and there's a whole marina to navigate around.
Just give the tug a good rinse afterwords, and No...never had any problems with corrosion.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:20:20 by tugs53 »
MIKE