Author Topic: What was the first 'tug'\you worked on  (Read 55740 times)

catengineman

Re: What was the first 'tug'\you worked on
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 09:02:54 »
Hi tugs53,

I live 1/4 of a mile from the north sea and my local voat club has a pond just up from the beach, this pond is brackish water so I have to rince my boats off after sailling, On the Tito Neri it did have the Graupner schottle drives and the only problem I suffered was the spring clip rotted away result 1 lost prop.
The next was down to as you point out "over power" and I stripped out a final drive gear which again resulted in a lost prop including the shaft.
Any further troubles have been my own doing, smashing a drive unit by stalling the unit with ice shards.
So now I have converted her to have fixed shafts with steering korts, I wait to see what it tows like under this build, along with the general operation.

R,

willowgarth

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2009, 12:58:38 »
Hi Catengine man,
I agree with your'e points re tug towing, towing and modelling is always a scource of satisfaction and enjoyment. When I see the masterpieces of miniature engineering shown on this forum I am amazed by the skill and ingenuity involved. Although I have always been into modelling, circumstances dictate that most of my models are 'Kitchen table jobs' entirely scratch built from plastic card etc. although I did do a working model of the Oakgarth for someone - but thats another story!
There, I've confessed, I'm not a proper boat modeller after all, I just love them! Hope I won't be thrown off the Forum for this.
Regards  Willowgarth.
Fred, (I can't walk on water but I have staggered on whisky)

catengineman

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2009, 13:19:57 »
Hey willowgarth, whats this I've confessed, I'm not a proper boat modeller after all, I just love them! Hope I won't be thrown off the Forum for this.
 you are a modeler in every shape way and form, you should see some of the things I have done, and have the cheek to call them models  ;D

Just because it may not look like the original (if there is one) does not meen its not a model its your love of what you do that makes every model that special model.

Thrown off the forum ? if you read some of the posts this is a great place with great people behind it and within it, pull up a chair and join in I have a feeling that there are some who will hunt you down if YOU LEAVE and have you return  ;D

R be happy enjoy OH and post lots of pictures :)

R,

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2009, 13:33:31 »
Cheers...both of ya'!!
We're here for a good time, not any degree of criticism!
Everyone's builds, opinions and thoughts are more than welcome...as long as it's 'clean'...of course.

Look at me...as I can 'flap-on' for hours about tugs and models of them, and with the occasional correction......it's all good!

The great thing about models, is we can build whatever the .... we like, and as long as we're having fun, well...there ya' go!

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 13:59:07 by tugs53 »
MIKE

willowgarth

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2009, 14:06:56 »
Thank you Catengineman and Tugs53,
Here is a pic of the Willowgarth scratch built entirely fron plasticard to 1/72 scale from builders drawings and my own measurements from the 1 to1 model.
Willowgarth

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2009, 14:17:47 »
She looks like a beauty to me!!
Is she 'static' or R/C?
Your 'artistic' abilities really shine through.
Well Done!!
MIKE

willowgarth

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 14:57:34 »
Tugs53,
All my models are static and Willowgarth is depicted as delivered from the builders, she has been modified a bit since. I stood by this one when she was building and worked her till I retired.
fred

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2009, 07:40:35 »
The first tug/tender I worked on was the "Flying Breeze" in Liverpool (1959)and the first tug proper was the "Bramley Moor" which I joined in the dock of the same name whilst she was bunkering (3 wagons of "nutty slack")I then worked on various Alexandra tugs until 1972 when I left to join Inchcape Overseas as Master.From then until 1985 I worked on various craft from survey vessels to LST`s & supply-boats to ocean tugs.I retired to S Spain in that year and have had a great time with my many fond memories.I am just amazed how my liver has stood up to it all these year.

HAVE TUG..........WILL TOW

Capt. Jim

PS.  I have just come across a photo that shows the 1st boat I sailed on `Flying Breeze` and the first one I went to sea on `Alfred` both in the one snap how lucky was that? Notice the radar tower on the `Alfred`...not a very common sight in tugs of that era.(Both vessels were coal-fired in that picture and when I went to sea on the `Alfred` was to have her converted to oil)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 01:10:16 by Todd »
Capt Jim

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2009, 08:21:09 »
Ah....another member in Sunny Spain!! 8) 8)

Welcome aboard Capt. Jim

Do you have some pictures and more fond memories to share with us all??

As for the Liver....mine's kicking around here...somewhere ;D ;D

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 08:23:27 by tugs53 »
MIKE

chipchase

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2009, 16:04:12 »
Willowgarth  I have only one thing to say are you happy with your models I think it is a great model but does it really matter what I think as long as you are happy.
You are a boat modeler enjoy the hobby donít pull your self down.

Brian
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 16:06:58 by chipchase »
Brian

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2009, 08:23:41 »
Ah....another member in Sunny Spain!! 8) 8)

Welcome aboard Capt. Jim

Do you have some pictures and more fond memories to share with us all??

As for the Liver....mine's kicking around here...somewhere ;D ;D

Cheers
[I am only new to the "net" and as soon as I got myself a scanner I will certainly post pictures of tows//rigs /salves/etc etc plus other tugs I have come across on my travels./quote]
Capt Jim

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2009, 08:30:19 »
Cheers Jim:

Looking forward to seeing them!!
MIKE

Captain H

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 13:58:41 »
My first tug I was deckhand of was the London tugs "CONTEST" then I stayed with the company for 7 years and crewed most of the fleet as the number one relief crew.As I held a FG Masters Certificate I went away on a number of occasions acting as navigating Master until I left to become a Trinity house River Thames pilot,My experience in the tugs held me in good stead on many occasions and indeed I was "helped" out of difficulties by my friends in the tugs.Captain H

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2009, 22:02:03 »
Now how come we have not heard from Todd. Is he still looking for a scanner? ??? ???

If he does not pop up again soon, I will have to drive down the coast and find him..........I'll search the bars first along the sea front me thinks!! ^-^
Barry

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2009, 08:32:09 »
Now how come we have not heard from Todd. Is he still looking for a scanner? ??? ???

If he does not pop up again soon, I will have to drive down the coast and find him..........I'll search the bars first along the sea front me thinks!! ^-^
[
Hi,I sent some photos of Liverpool tugs to "Tugmaster@modeltugforum.com" but to date do not know if they arrived OK. I am certainly in the market for a scanner and at present "have a couple of wires on the hook" in that regard.As soon as I get the hang of it all you will certainly hear a lot more from me.
HAVE TUG......WILL TOW
Capt Jim]
Capt Jim