Author Topic: Knife Blades  (Read 4106 times)

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
Knife Blades
« on: March 20, 2008, 09:31:28 »
Hi Guys,

I have for years used Xacto knives and blades and found them superb. Not the cheapest but superb.
Living down here where the sun shines I cannot get them. Lots of similar and cheaper but not the good ones. The cheap ones are generally of a poor quality, leading to blades snapping, as has happened to me 3 times in the last 2 days.

What are your experiences with knives and blades? What would you recommend? and where is the best place to obtain them from?

That should keep you busy for a while, but it does bug me.

Barry
Barry

HS93

Re: Knife Blades
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 10:04:52 »
I tend to use swann morton blades, they seem to last a lot longer than some of the otheres and you can touch them up a bit so they last longer, and I can just order them and get them next day.

Peter

http://www.axminster.co.uk/shop-Swann_Morton.htm

http://www.cheshiremodels.co.uk/acatalog/Knives_and_Saws.html
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 10:09:41 by HS93 »

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 23:19:19 »
Thanks HS93,
Dont you find the scalpel type blades a bit light for anything other than light work??

I tried Cheshire models but theu want nearly nine pounds postage for a few blades......

Barry
Barry

HS93

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 02:38:01 »
Dont like the scalpel type blades, but the larger ones are ok , didnt know about the postage , I go to axminster for mine , add them on a larger order , I tend to get a couple of packs of each size and they last a long time as I tend to sharpen them and have two handels on the go , one for sharp and the othere for animal cutting ( de buring brass etc ) I got some un known Maxx 3 blades not as good to sharpen but cheap and very cheap and fair    http://quantrum.co.uk/redbankmodels/bgeneral-modellingb-c-63.html  email him for the type you want Gary is helpfull.

Peter

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 02:50:02 »
Thanks Peter,

I will give them a go.

Still envious of your superb build quality. I am using some of your posted photos as a guide. Hope yu don't mind?

Barry
Barry

TERRY

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 08:39:28 »
All i use is a Stanley knife, and i re sharpen blades on an oil stone a few times before dumping.
Terry.
Measure twice cut once

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 00:20:38 »
I fancy those Swann Morton blades. Tried to place an order from Axminster, but they will not quote the postage charge until after the order has been confirmed and paid for.....most strange..
Barry