Author Topic: M/T Mersina X2  (Read 3533 times)

Lighterman

• Site Supporter
  • where is the sound control on these overalls?
M/T Mersina X2
« on: June 14, 2011, 11:23:27 »
thought i would start a new ramble about to motor tugs i am in the process of building they are again from scratch and to save a little effort i made a mould in GRP as i think i may end up doing more.. (live in hope die in despair) i worked on this tug a while back and the company sold her not so long ago with her near sister the Recruit.
since my building of the M/T Merit on a home made GRP hull i see this as a great boon since planck on frame is nice when you only have one to deal with.
it started with the drawings borrowed from the marine superintendent  and then copied the frames being reproduced several times and glued to card board i mounted port and starboard half's on 2 separate keel outlines making sure i had mirror images otherwise i would get two ports or stbs! thats from experience i mention this!!
i then put in as many buttocks from the drawings as i thought i would need to stiffen them and then started the plating using card thats i nicked from the time office clocking in cards as they are just the right stiffness and good quality. these were glued on with pva and pinned till set.
the next process was using strips of newsprint and pve building up a skin that when dry was like a drum i then coated it with shellac and skimmed it with poly-filler.. then the messy bit out doors sanding it off.
after a few coats of grey primer to find the lows and highs i got the glass paper out again till i had the finish i thought would take another few coats of paint and seal the whole thing.
when it was hard and dry the usual process of waxing and pvc parting fluid and then the stinky bit the laying up of the mould.
when both halves where done i parted them and bolted round the keel plates and laid up the first hull. on this model i never bothered with putting hull detail on as i had found a better way with my tosher model  ( more about that later if you can stay awake). Anyhow the first one came out and i was happy with the shape and the overall finish.
i re- polished the mould and laid up number 2 both of the models i laid up with a mixture of orange and black gel-coat my thinking behind this that should the paint get striped back to the hull it would show through as the old fashioned red lead which never seemed to go off unlike the newer red oxide coatings they use now, i am sure there are less eco problems with the new coatings.
hope you have enjoyed the first instalment. i will add more as they progress.
cheers and happy sailing
Martin

Lighterman

• Site Supporter
Re: M/T Mersina X2
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:33:41 »
sod it never added the pictures!

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 14:52:28 »
That's a novel way to do it. Good thinking.

Lighterman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 01:22:05 »
Part 2
while doing the pencil chewing part i thought about the casing as well just to make things a little more solid i mad a t part mould for a basic shape GRP casing as this tug is all one bit and while you or i would take time and care lifting the thing on and off i have had to design "robust-ness" into it as the mate i am building them for may not be inclined to pick things up easy! i also thought about charging and switching things on so have worked out how this can be done with the casting in place, another train of thought came from my role at work as a H&S union rep..."the fun police " if the charging is to be done with the casing on will i be crating a GRP pipe bomb? so the plan is to have the main switch behind a cabin door and the charging socket down the exhaust pipe.. the way of clearing the fumes will be way of 2 open decklights on the casing top and the placing of a micro fan (pc mother board cooling) down below to assist in getting shot of the charging fumes.
my GRP castings are never "professional finish" thats far from what i intend they are just a god tough building block that benifits from the added space below for fitting hard wear such batteries and motors.
the past models i have built using the GRP hull i made the mistake of trying to get moulded hull detail such as plate lines and was not to impressed with the result. so this time i used a dodge i learnt from the tosher model, the most obvious detail is the "inner and outter' of the shell plating and to a lesser extent the rivet detail so i can up with the idea of simulating the plate runs with strips of 20 thou styrene sheet with a run along of the "pounce wheel" then using glue to fix it to the hull... it's then sanded to a taper  and a "touch" of plastic padding (panel beaters bodge in tub" along the tapered part and some fine sanding creating the illusions that the plates are proud. the pounce wheel rivets are high to some degree but after a touch of the sanding cloth fade down and are seen better as shadows.. anothe good thing about my models that the "ribby" look of a used hull comes out more by luck than planning!
while on the hull i had to make 2 korts as the real mersina has one so i set to on my trusty myford lathe and made a master plug with all the right angles to it's profile and moulded this in RTV silicon as i end to think like the liberty ship builders "build by the mile, cut off by the yard" and i am sure i will be building more boats that will need korts. the resin i used was trial and error ranging from polyester resin to a kind of plaster water based casting resin.. after dropping 2! I call this destruction and wear testing decided the best bet was GRP resin with some chopped strand filler was the best.
the shaft tubes i made with brass bodies and fillers for lubrication and the end bearings from "fozzy bronze" this was ponced from the fitters shop at good old Cory!
the motors are being thought about i have some very compact 12v bulah motors from distel electronics that i plan to make use of with a rubber band 2 to 1 reduction drives as while they are good motors i am thinking the size of props i am swinging inside the korts will not allow them to develop full power and while i have used MFA gear box motors before the always seem very noisy. hence the rubber belt ( slices of inner tube) over ali pulleys should keep things quiet and the motors should not heat up as much.
 here are some pictures of the plating getting it's first tell tail coat of grey primer. the great revealer as i call it.. shows the lumps and the holes great!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:08:30 by Lighterman »

Lighterman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 12:07:14 »
some pictures of half built model on steering and ballasting trials at bluewater

Lighterman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 12:21:46 »
and here are some MORE pictures of the finished article in it's glass case. now thats out of the workshop i can get on with cleaning and ready for the next one to be painted.

ray28507

• Admiral Poster
  • shuswap
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 22:08:51 »
thats a real nice pair of london tugs you built there  :) regards ray
B.C tugs >>  ken mackenzie~07   nellie irene~07    freewinds ~04       sidewinder'in b.c~11'   iron horse~12  malley b~16  western mariner ~14  shuswap ~17
  u.s.a tugs> >  nanuq~11  in the build  hunter  - david j

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 02:00:42 »
Very nice indeed and an unusual way of doing the hull. I love it... :) :)
Barry

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 08:21:09 »
Like Barry  said  very nice :) :).
You do like your craft tugs.
regards John B
john b

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 08:50:09 »
Niece job there .    PUFFIN

Lighterman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 09:28:11 »
thanks gents! another 2 to come and clog up bluewater.
i was wondering has anyone got a deck shot or plans for alex's two smaller "pool" boats the SUN XXIII i could have a look at got an idea i might go with.

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 13:45:36 »
Beautifull work!!!

Very well done!!
"Suds"