Author Topic: Tri-angle hardwood strip in the UK  (Read 2322 times)

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
Tri-angle hardwood strip in the UK
« on: June 30, 2011, 21:05:53 »
Does anyone know of a supplier of 5mm x 5mm x 5mm ( or similar) hardwood lengths in the UK. Not  hard balsa as it is still too soft.

I could try to make but need 20 lengths of 1500mm each.

Any idea how to make?I I have a bandsaw and plenty of wood to experiment on.

VANYA
VANYA

Tiaki

Re: Tri-angle hardwood strip in the UK
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 00:21:26 »
Make up a guide as shown which can be made to fit the lathe and a slitting saw blade or for a small saw bench. Use 4.33mm dressed stock, depending on how accurate you require. The wood stock is rotated end for end on each cut giving you the triangular stock you seek. Using the slitting saw blade will give a smooth finish with a fine blade. Just be careful of heat build up as slitting saw blades as the have no curf (bent tips for clearance) and don't tolerate too much heat.
If you get stuck e-mail me I have other options which may suit.
Cheers

Tiaki

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 00:33:05 »
Oops, Didn't realise I could upload cad drawings, so here s a jpeg for those without cad.

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 02:32:40 »
Tiaki,

I finally found some tri-angle, in Christchurch of all places.

After all the earthquake demolished buildings, thank god the model store is still standing, not much else is, or is accessable still.

I got some plastruct 3.2mm triangle at $6.70 per packet of 5 lengths of 12 inches. Need 9 packets but beats cutting wood. Will be enough work in itself but will look really good once painted.

Thanks for your input.

VANYA
VANYA