Author Topic: New to towing and need help?  (Read 11742 times)

tango

New to towing and need help?
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:58:34 »
I will now own up, I am new to this towing game (although I have built alot of models)  and would like some helpful advice on how to get started, what models are best suited and more importantly what types are not suitable. Motors, bowthrusters, working winches what works and what doesn't.

I know there is most probably loads of answers to these questions and I don't want WW3 breaking out as we all do things differently and what will work for one might not work for someone else. So lets pool our vast knowledge?? and help us newcomers steer clear of any (expensive) mistakes.
Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE JUST FOUND A 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.

Stavros

Re: New to towing and need help?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 13:22:39 »
First thing you need Mark is a TUG ;D

STAVROS
OVER HERE PERMAMENTLY TO HAVE A QUIET LIFE

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 13:38:45 »
Followed closely by water! ;D

Mike
MIKE

poll

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 14:45:22 »

What type of tug? single or twin screw,  what size of tug?

John
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 14:49:09 by poll »

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 18:21:45 »
Good question John.
My input, at this stage, is:
1) Equip your tug with good speed control(s)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2) Make sure your towpost or towing winch is REALLY secure.
3) Have good 'fendering'.
4) try to guage the 'bollard pull' of your tug, and make sure your towing winch, (if equiped with one), can handle that strain, without 'spooling-out' on you.
5) Make sure your boat is REALLY watertight.
6)Have lots of battery capacity.
Mike
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 06:55:49 by tugs53 »
MIKE

poll

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 13:23:57 »

I agree with Mike's input, and to add to the winch section a simple power
  screwdriver end, ( Photo to follow ) which don't spool out when under load.
  Battery's. Again down to hull size, better fitting extra battery then putting
  lead in.

John

ministeve

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 14:43:47 »
a few ideas off me are:
hull size is one big factor like can you lift the thing into the water my altered MMM afon alaw is 36"x12" and is very heavy but is also very stable and can get any motor,prop,thruster,winch,radio,sound unit setup you could wish for in her.
also what type of towing are you going to do pushing, then you will need push knees
pulling , you may want working gog winch or towing winch
then you need to decide how deep are your pockets a twin screw with bow thruster working winch and six channel radio can get pricey
saying that you can do it on a budget a single screw boat with thruster and main towing winch working can a very good towing boat i know i have one and nearly won the MMM finals with her
the best place to get info about tug towing is at the lake side at one of the many tug towing events that are hosted the guys that are there are very helpfull and will often let you have a go to let you sample the fun
theres an open day at MMM this saturday if anyone would like to have a chat with some of the lads that tow all the time (so called experts) if anyone is interested.       
you are never too old to learn

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 16:45:59 »
HI TANGO ; One other important detail is stablity. Get your balast as low as you can . Tugs generally are stiff .[ low centre of gravity ] Some of the new tugs are realy beamy . House works and fitting add weigh
 so allow for this .                     PUFFIN

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 14:44:10 »
HI TANGO ; I would suggest that you go with a single screw vessel to start . And if you use a live kortduct for rudder . Make the travel  fifty degrees either side of center .THIS can be done with the linkage [ shorter arm on the servo and longer on the quaderant .]  A lot of good hulls around in th 20" to 30"  length . That should be a boat between 15 lbs and 30 lbs .   PUFFIN

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 07:22:58 »
Scroll back to this year's Foss Cup photos - a good cross section of tugs there, both single and twin versions. A lot of us have had great fun with the small 'Alan B' style hulls - all placed somewhere in the upper three from time to time. Mine runs on 4 7.2 power packs - provides weight and a good run time.
Great starting point.

fatboy

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 07:17:58 »
I will now own up, I am new to this towing game (although I have built alot of models)  and would like some helpful advice on how to get started, what models are best suited and more importantly what types are not suitable. Motors, bowthrusters, working winches what works and what doesn't.

I know there is most probably loads of answers to these questions and I don't want WW3 breaking out as we all do things differently and what will work for one might not work for someone else. So lets pool our vast knowledge?? and help us newcomers steer clear of any (expensive) mistakes.
Mark.

One thing to think about Tango, is whether you are going to push, pull or both. This may determine whether you want a conventional tug or a towboat. I personally have both a single screw and a double screw units and prefer the double screw for pushing. I find pushing gives you more steering control and braking control over towing barges. I find towing "on the hip" doesn't give me much control, better to push I think.....good luck!

portside II

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 15:35:20 »
I totaly agree with all you guys on tug towing and the variations .i like Steve have a big tug which is heavy yet stable on the water ,maybe not as prety but it works  :D .
Poll has the right idea for a towing winch with the cordless screw driver method ,although i have seen other types including an electric ariel motor from a car ,very powerfull . myself i went fot the black and decker cordless screw driver method and glued a celing washer into the hex end and mounted what was left of the thing in some ply , this was then fitted into my new scratch build pusher tug .
The position of the winch is great for towing but as this is a pusher as well i thought about using the winch to make fast what i was pushing , so i decided to make a roller and eye at the fornt of the wheelhouse base which is fixed to alow the tow line to be used at the front, i was going to pass the line around the outside of the base , but still may do .
I agree with the use of twin screws for pushing ,and if they can be opperated indipendantly this removes the need for a bow thruster, i have thin 70mm props in cat food tin korts and twin esc's

and the props on home made shafts and tubes.

daz
Ps the cat food tin korts can be seen in the background of the last picture.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 15:37:39 by portside II »
My boats look like i want them to ,well nearly

Tugboat Andy

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 19:00:38 »
You mention good speed controls but what about using lathe motors. Will this also allow for fine control on the propeller turns?

poll

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 13:37:20 »
Hi Daz,  Do's the props work OK in that position?  lol

John

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 17:13:54 »
HI ANDY; IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO USE A 200 TO 400 REDUCTION ON YOUR WINCH. If you are running ahead you need the power to take in tow line . Any motor will do then . Have the pivot point at least 30% .   PUFFIN