Author Topic: Grinder (Knife Sharpening)  (Read 6155 times)

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
Grinder (Knife Sharpening)
« on: March 26, 2008, 11:18:43 »
I have been thinking for some time now about getting a little grinder sot hat I can sharpen my modelling blades as well as other household jobs. I know grinders can be picked up very cheaply these days but is there any particular wheel to use for sharpening our rather small and delicate blades on? If so what kind of money are you talking about to buy one?

Any advise would be most welcome.

Cheers guys,

Barry ;D
Barry

Stavros

Re: Grinder (Knife Sharpening)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 13:09:16 »
you tight fisted so and so!!!!!
I don't bother to resharpen knife blades as the heat from grinding them takes away the tempering of the steel and they shatter easily

Stavros
OVER HERE PERMAMENTLY TO HAVE A QUIET LIFE

Franklin

• There's nothing like a Double Rum!!!
RE: Grinder ( Knife Sharpening)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 13:56:54 »
Barry, Best way to sharpen blade's is with a wet stone ( A constant supply of coolant), But this type of machine is expensive. An alternative is to use a hand stone, maybe with a little oil or water.

Franklin  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 14:52:40 by Franklin »

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 14:26:57 »
Franklin,

Thanks for that, I will give it a go.....Nothing to lose.

Stavros,

I didn't get where I am today by throwing money away when not necessary!!!!! :o

I'm only a pensioner you know.....A youngish pensioner but pensioner non the less.....a little more respect wouldn't go a miss ha ha 8)
Barry

HS93

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 15:56:37 »
I use 3m dimond stones they look a bit like a tooth brush but have a pad on the end about 1 1/2" X 1/2 " and come in four diferent grades I use thm for polishing most metals they are not cheap but if carefull last years mine are about 6 years old I got a new set a year ago to replace them but still using the ols ones they even do curved ones , i have trouble holding things at time and they are no problem about  4.50 each  they sharpen blades magic

ps they are only surface hard as far as I know so grinding may take to much off , you could try a dremel with a dimond wheel to sharpen .
Ill post the web and some pictures in the morning as soon as I find the bill

Peter

HS93

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 16:26:19 »

Red_Hamish

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 21:53:36 »
Hello all, as gthe above mentioned posts are all good info I can not disagree with any of the advice so faar. Barry if you really do want to sharpen blades on a grindwer then Lee's (Franklin) comment is spot on. You really do need to uase a wet stone grinder, there are two types available either Horizontal (more expensive) or Vertical wheel (less expensive) I prefer the Vertical because the stone is immersed in a water bath and you do not need to control the flow. Tormek and Scheppach TiGer2000 are of the type I like the Scheppach being the more cost effective one. At the end of the day though these are really designed for larger scale blades than we normally use.

cheers

Jim

http://www.nmauk.com/scheppach/scheppach.html
enjoy life and model boating not necessarily in that order :-)
www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org  or www.paddleducks.co.uk and the best place to live
www.visitshetland.com of course!

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 23:43:47 »
Thanks again guys,

Jim,

Having seen what is available I think the big grinders are a little bit too heavy duty for me, but thanks for the advise.

Peter,

They sound just the job.   I think I can get them locally as I am sure I have seen them. I will let you know...

Barry
Barry

HS93

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 02:58:07 »
Just buy the one on the left , the white one to try. that is the fine one and most used also they do a yellow next grade up. that is very handy the red and black are used less . I think we all have tools that we use more than most ,when I work in any metals these are the one thing that will always come out, proberley one of my most used tools.

Peter

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 04:31:32 »
Just buy the one on the left , the white one to try. that is the fine one and most used also they do a yellow next grade up. that is very handy the red and black are used less . I think we all have tools that we use more than most ,when I work in any metals these are the one thing that will always come out, proberley one of my most used tools.

Peter

Peter, you are a star....

I have been telling a friend about them and unbelievably he declared ownership of some. A black, yellow and white one, hardly used......They are now mine he he....Will start using them later today.

Barry
Barry

Franklin

• There's nothing like a Double Rum!!!
RE: Grinder ( Knife Sharpening)
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 08:58:55 »
Barry, Glad to see you have found an alternative!! Before you know it you will be an expert sharpener. Just another of the many skill's you will learn and develop with model building!!!

Happy Sharpening

Lee   :)  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 15:00:43 by Franklin »

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 23:20:23 »
Thanks Lee,

Have started using the 3m diamond stones last night and so far find them to be very good. Used water as a lubricant and they worked a treat.

What a great Forum this really is!!

Thanks chaps

Barry
Barry

HS93

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 02:04:09 »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  I dont think you are are supposed to use anything , But I may be wrong
( I am a lot these days) I never have just dry they work a treat. Just a hint I found out the hard way as you can damage them file towards the cutting edge from the blade side, as you can cut the files and damege them . the good thing about shapening them is that the tips tend to break on new ones and when you touch them up they are sharp and stronger at the tip. anyway sorry if I sound like I am talking rubbish.

Peter

Footski

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 03:35:39 »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  I dont think you are are supposed to use anything , But I may be wrong
( I am a lot these days) I never have just dry they work a treat. Just a hint I found out the hard way as you can damage them file towards the cutting edge from the blade side, as you can cut the files and damege them . the good thing about shapening them is that the tips tend to break on new ones and when you touch them up they are sharp and stronger at the tip. anyway sorry if I sound like I am talking rubbish.

Peter
A bit of trial and error is called for I think..Thats a beer or bottle of vino I owe you Peter. Pop round anytime.. ;D
Barry