Author Topic: South African Steam Tugs  (Read 16119 times)

bashfordg

South African Steam Tugs
« on: March 29, 2008, 05:18:12 »
Hi Guys

Just curious whether anyone is interested in South African steam tugs. (I am actually Australian) Have lots of info on them.

Cheers

Gordon

TugMaster

• Administrator
  • Admiral Poster
  • Welcome Aboard !
Re: South African Steam Tugs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 07:16:18 »
Hi, Bashfordg and Welcome Aboard the Tug Forum !

I voted yes to your poll and I think that you'll find all members on here are interested in ANY Tug no matter where its from, especially steam !

We are picture rich forum so any pics you have feel free to show us.

You can upload pics by clicking on the "Additional Options" within the post message box.

Look forward to any info and pics you may have.

Welcome Aboad !

Cheers

TugMaster
Ok, so I like a drop !

Red_Hamish

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:48:54 »
Ahoy there Gordon, well it is looking promising for the interest in any tug as TugMaster has said. We are definitely an inquisitive lot who appreciate any info on anything tug oriented. Keep the flow coming  ;)

cheers

Jim
enjoy life and model boating not necessarily in that order :-)
www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org  or www.paddleducks.co.uk and the best place to live
www.visitshetland.com of course!

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 12:04:07 »
Hi Gordon  Have a look in (Any other tugs) and you will find a couple pf pictures of an SA tug lookalike,  its really a modified Imara.
I have the drawings 5 sheetsof the JR More and her sister  one day I will get around to building one.
Tugs are for life      George B

bashfordg

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 23:16:11 »
Many thanks guys,

I had a sneaky little reason for asking... and am very familiar with the JR More.

Durban has two of the three remaining steam tugs left in SA. (Ulundi being the other one there)

However there is one left presently at Cape Town but not for much longer.

The "Alwyn Vintcent" is the last surviving steam pilot tug of her class, and, unlike the others was in fact Italian built in 1958.

To cut a long story short, she got herself into a bit of bother however, now she has just become privately owned and saved from the cutters torch, will shortly be coming "down under" and returning to commercial work as both tug and passenger vessel as a steamer.

I have attached a small pic of her as she was in about 2001... but a little neglected at the moment.

Some other shots taken a couple of days ago... dont like them however the "look" will be shortlived.... work is now underway.

Still have drawings of her (once converted to electronic) and her sister ships. And numerous other material.

More pics will be available next week of other internal areas, and a new website posted.

Cheers

Gordon.

Will update more in a day or two.

Cheers

Gordon

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 00:46:48 »
hi gordon   I don't envy the guy who has the job of cleaning out the crankpit.

From beam on she looks very much like the old ANTIO.

look forward to more pics 

George.

bashfordg

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 03:27:10 »
Hi George

I had never considered that, she was one of five vessels built by Cantieri Navali e Officiene Meccaniche de Venezia for the SAR&H which had most "unusual" funnel colours...

The others were: "William Weller", " Cecil G White", SJ Harrison", and "JE Eaglesham" all virtually identical and designed along the lines of much earler period British built tugs.

Dimensions 83ft x 20ft x 11ft.  110 GRT

All machinery also made by the builder. (300 IHP Triple Expansion , Coal Fired Scotch Type Boiler, 200psi working pressure service speed 10.5 Kts....)

Have also attached a pic of the Cecil G White circa 1980. Slightly different colour scheme..
I also must admit that I had little knoweledge of Italian built steamers, however since this one am quite impressed.

Unusual as was built to both act as a tug as well as carry passengers... kind of like a cross between a launch and tugboat, hence the uncluttered aft deck, teak decks etc.

Agree with what you say re the Crank Pit... oh well someone has to do it, just thank goodness it isn't me.  ;D

Cheers

Gordon.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 10:39:56 »
Thanks Gordon    Interesting little ships, how the hell did they get away with those bulwarks

the board of trade would have had a field day over here.

have posted a couple more pics of the J.R.  More

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 10:45:09 »
Interesting boats!

That's sure a lot of machinery!!!

Mike
MIKE

Kaskazi

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 13:38:50 »

bashfordg

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 16:52:47 »
Thanks guys. Those pics of the "JR More" are great.

She is one big tug... perhaps the largest steam tug" left in the world.

Unusual, like the "Alwyn" and her sister ships she was quite late built, 1961 I think for the "More"... and of course UK builders (as were most of them)

She was also built as an oil burner.

Unsure why the Govt awarded contracts to Italians in the late 50's and then switched back to the UK in the 60's the Italians were quite capable of building the larger ones too...

Funny you should mention Robin Stobbs... I have been "speaking with him" via email, he knows these pilot tugs well.

Damm things were like "mini subs" an awful lot under the water... not sure why the "Cecil G White" was sitting so low in that pic however... overloaded or full of water....

Then again, they carried 42 tons of coal... and with full bunkers...

Attached is pic of the Alwyn in the tourist trade.. (looked better than)..

Cheers

Gordon

bashfordg

Re: South African Steam Tugs UPDATE
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 03:08:06 »
Sorry guys for being a little late however have been a little busy...

There is a little "wiki" site now, continually updated. www.alwynvincent.wetpaint.com

Work is now underway in SA and all looks good, the old girl is in remarkable condition although a little neglected due to such a lengthy time she lay "idle"... the seagulls and garbage have all been evicted and all internal areas are being inspected for works.

I have posted a couple more images of the boiler / main engine and wheelhouse... hope it gives a small idea, she really is a beautiful little ship.

Will update early next week with more pics.

I believe that there is actually a "production" model kit of the Alwyn somewhere, have run into it on the net but just cannot put my finger on it at the moment.

Cheers

Gordon

bashfordg

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 04:21:34 »
Sorry for the late update.. have been very busy with the old girl and things are progressing well. I envy sometimes those who build the little "model" steamers even in live steam... the big stuff is "painful" at times.

A little too much to list, so have updated the website:

Plenty of new info and pics there (look in the albums...) this is updated every few days or so.

www.alwynvincent.wetpaint.com

Even the spare prop was located.. good did not want to have to cast another one! (Pic attached sorry about the bad quality... was sent to me by those who had it on display)

Cheers

Gordon.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 06:59:19 »
Hi bashfordg:
Great photos, and thanks so much for the update!! :)
I, for one, am following it with keen interest, as I LOVE the old stuff!
MIKE

pcfix

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 04:38:44 »
Hi Guys,

Just joined your forum. Very interesting to find SA Steam tug articles as I am attempting to scratch building the 'JR More' using published  modified plans of her sister ship the 'FC Sturrock'.
Always good to have photographs of the More, though difficult to get as they do not allow photography on the JR More in the Maritime museum in Durban, difficult to understand why, as more people are likely to visit Durban if they could take photographs.
Very interested to know if anyone else is building the More or and other SA Tug.
Ralph