Author Topic: South African Steam Tugs  (Read 14805 times)

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: South African Steam Tugs
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 04:43:07 »
Welcome to the Forum, Ralph. Have you considered starting a build log of your project. There are many Forum members, me included, that would like to see your tug.
VGJQ

pcfix

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 09:17:57 »
Thank you Tug Man,
My interest in the JR More tug goes back to 1968 when I arrived in Durban aboard the Edinburgh Castle and the JR More tug came alongside to see the Edinburgh into port, wonderful memories of a great steam tug, which hopefully will be maintained in the Durban MM.  I am SA born but now live in the UK and hope to visit Durban and go aboard the JR More in the next year or two.
I will do as you suggest and build a log of my project and will be very interested in anyone one else building the JR More and who may have more photographs to copy detail from.  Trouble is all the photographs I have found, concentrate on the Bow or looking forward, no photographs on the stern, which is hidden by the docks and the SS Durban on the other side.

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 07:02:20 »
You can get a good overhead view of her on Google Earth. It will give you a rough idea of the after deck layout.

I found some pics on an Internet search but I am sure that you have these already.
VGJQ

pcfix

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 15:56:45 »
I have put together some photographs of J.R. More which Doug and Keith have taken and kindly sent to me.  These have been very helpful to me with my model of JR

The photographs can be found at (copy and paste):-

http://picasaweb.google.com/SAtug.JRmore/JRMORESteamTugForModelBoatBuildersAndOtherInterestedInSteamTugs#

Ralph

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 13:35:40 by pcfix »

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 08:35:02 »
Lovely  Lovely looking tugs those I have the plans and will get around to building one one day. :) :) cool
Tugs are for life      George B

umhlali

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 06:21:15 »
Hi All,
Went to Durban today ,and went to see J R More.....she is in a hell of a state,just quietly rusting away,all the decking is coming up,the oak fenders behind the tyres have rotted away,and the rubbing band on the port bow has almost gone..holes in the deck from the engine room, rust all over,and the deck fittings in very bad condition.
Ethekwini Municipality (Durban City Council) apparently won't give any money for her upkeep,so what could be a fantastic tourist draw,is now becoming a bit danmgerous to board,as there are sections of deck that are rather "spongy". Port of Natal Maritime Museum just don't have the cash or the facilities to look after her,and in the 4 years since I was last aboard the Durban weather has taken it's toll on her.
The old girl needs either a massive injection of cash (a couple of million Rand I reckon) or save her any more shame and take her to her final resting place across the harbour to the breakers.
The SAS Durban alongside,is also suffering the same fate and being built of wood,(a "Ton" class minesweeper) is gradually coming apart,and is closed to the public permanently.
So a sorry state of affairs here in Durban, for J R More, lucky we have the photos of her in her prime to look back on. 

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 07:27:40 »
What a bummer Ian its a crying shame. :'( :'(
Tugs are for life      George B

umhlali

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 07:49:32 »
Yes George ,what a shame..the problem seems to be that there is no interest or money to upkeep her,the guy in charge of the museum was in the SA Navy,and he feels the same ,but without any support, he can't do much......he didn't know of any plans for repairs and refitting,so looks like her days are numbered....admittedly it's only R5 to look over her,(and "Ulundi"), but it's like looking over aship waiting for the breakers,and although she's connected to shore supply,they don't seem to have enough spare lamps to light her up down below,as a good half of them don't work.
Would have loved to take some more photos but photography is not allowed anymore,so couldnt.
Anyway try and keep you posted as time goes on...

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 09:41:21 »
You can get a good overhead view of her on Google Earth. It will give you a rough idea of the after deck layout.

I found some pics on an Internet search but I am sure that you have these already.

1st Photo.
Looking at the 'gear' on the quay it looks like some of her (J R More) towing gear laid out for some reason, maybe the rope locker is being painted  ::)

Jim
Capt Jim

Kimosabie

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 10:09:48 »
'quote'....Thank you Tug Man,
My interest in the JR More tug goes back to 1968 when I arrived in Durban aboard the Edinburgh Castle and the JR More tug came alongside to see the Edinburgh into port, wonderful memories of a great steam tug, which hopefully will be maintained in the Durban MM.

Hello pcfix,

I also sailed on the Edinburgh Castle, into Cape Town though, I was only 9 (1968) so don't recollect any tugs, but remember the EC very well, I also sailed on The Vaal into Cape Town, wish I had been more interested in 'tugs' at the time! I would love to re-create a S African tug, but by the sounds of it, there isn't much cash available to restore the tugs of that era...what a shame.

The Loftsman

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 06:07:03 »

Hi Godon/all,
You may be interested in some info on the ULUNDI to be found at my website www.leithshipyards.com
where we shall soon be bringing the scanned data from the ship to life and anyone will be able to take a 360 degree tour of her and also be able to measure from any point on the ship to another.

Cheers

The Loftsman

www.leithshipyards.com

Hi Guys

Just curious whether anyone is interested in South African steam tugs. (I am actually Australian) Have lots of info on them.

Cheers

Gordon

pcfix

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 12:57:22 »
Hi All

Regarding  J. R. More and her poor state of repair.

I have been advised that JR has now been moved to a repair dock. It is looking hopeful that local interest and good people have found funds  to undertake repairs or even some restoration. Will advise when further details are known.

If any Model Buildings or whoever want Photographs of J. R. More taken a couple of year ago -  I have about 60 or so which I can make available to anyone who wants them.
Please contact me at  ralph@wilmot.plus.com if you want to have copied.

Regards Ralph
 angel

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 13:06:59 by pcfix »

acw1947

south african steam tugs.
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 03:57:05 »
I worked on the a.m. Campbell in 1966,in Durban as a deck hand. I  left to join the british m.n. I went back to south Africa in1969 and worked on the tugs in cape town, as a fireman,and again worked on the A.M. Campbell as she had been transferred there. she was oil fired,the picture of the stokehold is similar to hers. I also worked on the T.S. Mc ewan and she was coal fired. this was the time of apartheid so the tugs had either all black crews or all white, the T.S. Mc ewan  was the only white crewed coal fired tug.while in c.t. we went up to walvis bay to tow back the r.b.waterston which had had a major engine breakdown. we also towed a large barge to Durban,but the tow broke in bad weather and we spent a week in plettenberg bay while a search was made for the barge.it was found by another tug and taken to Durban. these were not good deep sea boats, when we were in the aghulus current the sea,s broke over the bow,hit the superstructure and went down the ventilators and flooded the accommodation in the focsle. there were two greasers on her who had been in destroyers during the war, they said she was worse than them in a sea.  the cook on the Campbell only had one ear, so if he wanted to read he used to put a match stick in his ear to hold his glasses up. good times
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:17:12 by acw1947 »

pcfix

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 02:04:57 »
I have completed my model of JR More and she sails nicely.
Now building the 1929 Durban Tug   'Sir William Hoy' known as Smokey Bill.
Photo of JR More and  Sir William Hoy progress at 31st September 2014

pcfix

Re: south african steam tugs.
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 02:15:30 »
I have completed my model of JR More and she sails nicely.
Now building the 1929 Durban Tug   'Sir William Hoy' known as Smokey Bill.
Photo of JR More and  Sir William Hoy progress at 31st September 2014