Author Topic: South African Steam Tugs  (Read 25707 times)

Aucklander

Re: South African Steam Tugs
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2016, 21:22:09 »
Has anything been heard of the Alwyn Vintcent of late? The website seems to have dried up. Problem is that even a steel boat out of the water needs maintenance.

stephen

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2016, 04:38:15 »
Thought you might like to see this tug, seen around Cape Town South Africa, last used to take tourists on a jolly round the bay...

shiploversa

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 05:09:03 »
hello i only just got on this site - so hope the message gets through - i am an avid collector of sar tug boat plans and pictures - so keen to share

shiploversa

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 05:10:41 »
very interested in steam tugs of south africa - have loads of plans and pictures to share

shiploversa

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 05:12:29 »
Hi Gordon  Have a look in (Any other tugs) and you will find a couple pf pictures of an SA tug lookalike,  its really a modified Imara.
I have the drawings 5 sheetsof the JR More and her sister  one day I will get around to building one.

i have 2 copies of this classic book and loads of plans and pictures

shiploversa

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 05:16:28 »
Many thanks guys,

I had a sneaky little reason for asking... and am very familiar with the JR More.

Durban has two of the three remaining steam tugs left in SA. (Ulundi being the other one there)

However there is one left presently at Cape Town but not for much longer.

The "Alwyn Vintcent" is the last surviving steam pilot tug of her class, and, unlike the others was in fact Italian built in 1958.

To cut a long story short, she got herself into a bit of bother however, now she has just become privately owned and saved from the cutters torch, will shortly be coming "down under" and returning to commercial work as both tug and passenger vessel as a steamer.

I have attached a small pic of her as she was in about 2001... but a little neglected at the moment.

Some other shots taken a couple of days ago... dont like them however the "look" will be shortlived.... work is now underway.

Still have drawings of her (once converted to electronic) and her sister ships. And numerous other material.

More pics will be available next week of other internal areas, and a new website posted.

Cheers

Gordon.

Will update more in a day or two.

Cheers

Gordon
the last i knew of her was she was in villiersdorp - and thats it

shiploversa

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 05:27:13 »
Hi George

I had never considered that, she was one of five vessels built by Cantieri Navali e Officiene Meccaniche de Venezia for the SAR&H which had most "unusual" funnel colours...

The others were: "William Weller", " Cecil G White", SJ Harrison", and "JE Eaglesham" all virtually identical and designed along the lines of much earler period British built tugs.

Dimensions 83ft x 20ft x 11ft.  110 GRT

All machinery also made by the builder. (300 IHP Triple Expansion , Coal Fired Scotch Type Boiler, 200psi working pressure service speed 10.5 Kts....)

Have also attached a pic of the Cecil G White circa 1980. Slightly different colour scheme..

I also must admit that I had little knoweledge of Italian built steamers, however since this one am quite impressed.

Unusual as was built to both act as a tug as well as carry passengers... kind of like a cross between a launch and tugboat, hence the uncluttered aft deck, teak decks etc.

Agree with what you say re the Crank Pit... oh well someone has to do it, just thank goodness it isn't me.  ;D

the wheel house of the cecil g white in the east london museum
Cheers

Gordon.
[/td][/tr][/table]

shiploversa

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 06:30:21 »
hello - i am an avid lover of sar&h tug boats - have a fair collection of pictures and plans in (pdf format) if any one is keen to share what they have i can reciprocate  - many thanks

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 22:17:10 »
Post as many pictures as you like, we are always interested. Might even get a response from some of our SA members.