Author Topic: Plastic adhesives  (Read 3678 times)

Todd

• Admiral Poster
Plastic adhesives
« on: October 11, 2011, 00:49:26 »
Could someone please tell me  the name/type of the glue that I used to use for making plastics models (Airfix etc.,) that 'melted' the plastic and created a weld of sorts ?

Jim
Capt Jim

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
Re: Plastic adhesives
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 03:51:18 »
polystyrene cement?
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!
IF IT DONT FLOAT...TOW IT UNTIL IT DOES!!!!

CGAux26

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 16:40:53 »
MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) works great on styrene.  Buy a pint or quart at a hardware store.  Flammable and hard on the lungs, but good stuff.
Dave

canute

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 20:00:48 »
Jim, I use 'Testors' Plastic Cement, can be purchased at a hobby store, but prefer
CA+ ZAP-A-GAP, also purchased at a hobby store and is very good. I use a drop on the point end of a pin for very small repairs to plastic HO rail cars. Won't melt the plastic. Can't find the name of the manufacturer but imported by Richmond RC Supply in B.C.
Kim

Timo2

• A buoy at heart
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 00:02:50 »
Hi All
In the UK we have lots different Glue / Cements for modelling in   Plas-Card  / Styrene  from  Super glue “ CA” type  range to welding cements like Airfix  polystyrene to liquid Plasweld  .

I use  the liquid - weld type but buy as “Dichioromethane “ costing about  £ 6.50 per Ltr. not  £ 2.99 for a little 50ml bottle  ( but share it with some friends   ;)  )

Timo2
Just a Buoy at heart.