Author Topic: Another Alan B build Log  (Read 23147 times)

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
Another Alan B build Log
« on: November 25, 2011, 18:57:04 »
I decided to start my own build thread for my version of the Alan B boom boat. I received the boat from Gary King this week. The kit comes with the hull, deck, pilothouse, flying bridge, a stand (nice touch) and a 1:1 drawing. The hull is a very nice hand laid up piece in a light grey gel coat. Because of the hand layup the thickness of the hull does vary. This means some sanding will be required for good fit between the hull and deck.

I am planning on using the Robbe 6:1 540 motor and reduction gear turning a 40mm prop in a steerable kort nozzle (this is the recommended set up on the plans). The electrics will be a Novak rock crawler speed controller and a pair of 2S 6000 mAh Lipo batteries.

I am waiting on the running hardware to arrive. I didnít order anything until I had the hull and plans in hand so the first few weeks will be just sanding and fitting.

Cheers
Barry

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
Re: Another Alan B build Log
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 19:07:57 »
I had some confusion starting the build because of this raised area of the hull near the bow. After emailing Gary, this area was removed. I sanded around the flange area to even out the thickness of the hull so the deck would fit and give a nice even seam. The deck fits nice and snug which should reduce sanding and fairing when the time comes to join them.

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 21:12:59 »
Very interested in your build!!

Please keep posting your progress.
"Suds"

tbone

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 22:49:08 »
Also looking forward to seeing your build.

Tbone

ray28507

• Admiral Poster
  • shuswap
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 00:11:14 »
nice start guy's  cool   keep up the good work    regards ray
B.C tugs >>  ken mackenzie~07   nellie irene~07    freewinds ~04       sidewinder'in b.c~11'   iron horse~12  malley b~16  western mariner ~14  shuswap ~17
  u.s.a tugs> >  nanuq~11  in the build  hunter  - david j

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 12:13:05 »
Hi Barry:

What tug are you planning to build her up as?
There's a whole lotta real tugs around here in BC to choose from.
If you need any pics or info on real ones suitable for this build, just ask!
"Suds"

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 20:17:17 »
Well not much getting done on the boat, Just some filling, sanding and fairing on the deck and pilothouse. There has been a delay getting the propulsion parts. They are finally on the way. I hope they arrive for this weekend. Been getting ahead on chores around the home so I spend some quality time building.

Cheers
Barry

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 21:07:20 »
My parts finally arrived! I started by mounting the nozzle. The top of the rudder blade had to be removed to fit the hull. With that portion removed there is a nice fit between the nozzle and the hull. I was thinking of removing the lower portion to keep the looks symmetrical. What do you guys think, Keep it or trim it?

I havenít made up my mind yet on which reduction to use. The plans call for the 5.5:1 but I heard from a few chaps to use the 3.3:1. Iíll be using two cell Lipo batteries (nominal 7.4 Vdc) I already have both reduction gears. I need to make up my mind soon, installing the shaft is next.

Mike, did you reinforce the hull where the stuffing box penetrates the hull? I was thinking of fitting a small block in the stern portion of the pod for the stuffing box.

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 06:26:51 »
I ran the stuffing box through and glued it using epoxy at the time. This time around I'd possibly build it up using a body filler with the glass strands in it. I used it on the weekend to mount a wooden block where the rudder comes through the hull similar to yours. One mistake - didn't use quite enough hardener and it didn't go off. Scraped it all off yesterday, new mix and it is a solid mount. Will post some photos next day or so. I removed only the upper part on the nozzle blade.

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 08:01:13 »
I thought about using the glass filler too but I,m afraind of the stuffing box moving while the filler sets up. The garage/shop is pretty cold this time of year even with the propane heater going so it take a while for the resins to setup. I'll make up the block tonight and see what it looks like before I drill any holes.

islander

• Love the classics!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 09:42:05 »
Are those the 100mm nozzles?

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 11:15:31 »
50mm props I think.

My first mix of hardener was a 'fail' - not enough and didn't set at all. Second mix yesterday set up in about five minutes - almost on the mixing board. I asked the auto body guy - his typical mix is a golf ball size of filler with a pea size of hardener. This time I added a bit more hardener and it was away. I'd try a test. I have the same unheated garage but I kept the filler in the house overnight before mixing it.

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 11:57:12 »
Yes it ia a 50mm nozzle. The camera was only a few inches away and makes it look huge

Tugboat Andy

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 18:43:44 »
Looking good! ;)

I don't have an Alan B hull but I've admired them since I first saw one at EXPO '86.

I understand that a few people run the 5.5:1 Robbe motor with the 50mm Kort nozzle with some success. I ran that combination in my Springer turning a 50mm brass Rivabo 3 blade 'elephant ear' prop and it behaves quite well with lots of power. I also built a "cradle mount" that would let me switch out the 5:1 to a 3:1 motor & gearbox but I've never felt the need to run the "hotter" gear ratio.

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 19:35:55 »
Thanks for the input Andy. Were you running 6 volts on your springer?

Barry