Author Topic: Another Alan B build Log  (Read 19924 times)

Tugboat Andy

Re: Another Alan B build Log
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 20:17:34 »
Yep, 6 volts with an inexpensive Tamiya car esc. Worked like a champ for me and plenty of pulling power in my opinion. Some of that power was coming out of the prop I was able to turn. I'm sure others with speak up with other power / prop combinations.

Looking forward to watching the rest of your build. Might have to go north across the line one of these days and hunt down one of these hulls now they're back in production.

Best regards :)

BTW - shout out if you need help getting the shaft lined up with the kort nozzle. To get the most out of your turning radius its important to keep the propeller in the front 1/3 (or so) of the nozzle. I learned the hard way with a homemade nozzle and was very disappointed.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 20:25:46 by Tugboat Andy »

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 20:06:51 »
I mounted the shaft this evening. Everything is just tacked in place right now.  I made a plug that just fit inside the nozzle to help position the end of the shaft in the center of the nozzle.

Iím new to nozzles, so I have a question. How far inside the nozzle do you position the propeller?

Once I get that figured out Iíll glass it all in them Iíll work on the steering servo and linkages.

Does anyone know what size the o-rings are on the 50mm Robbe nozzle? One of my is split.

Cheers
Barry

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 20:12:42 »
The plans call for a 40mm propeller. Looking at the one I have is seems too small. Should I put a 45mm or 50mm or is this one good enough?

Cheers
Barry

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 19:22:02 »
I mounted the steering servo and made pull-pull linkages from carbon fiber tubing and dubro ball link ends. Iíve figured out my motor mounting setup and have it tacked in place for now. I made up the wiring for the batteries and motor to the speed controller. Iím using a Viper 15 amp control for now, but the Viper does not have the low voltage cutoff for LiPo batteries so Iíll have to watch battery voltage closely. Iím still planning on using a Novak rock crawler speed control, but the one I want to use is a new model that is just being released and isnít available quite yet.

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 19:37:30 »
I am planning on using these 2 cell LiPo batteries. They are 6 Ah which should give 12 Ah total. I did a test run in the spa with both the 2 cell and 3 cell batteries. The 3 cell seems too much (11.1v) and the 2 cell seems not enough. Itís hard to tell in the spa because I canít get up to full speed. I am still using the 5.5 :1 reduction right now. I am going to the lake tomorrow while we are having a break in the weather to see what it looks like when I can get to full speed.  I am also working out the fore and aft position of the batteries to get the proper trim. Depending on the outcome I may switch to the 3.3:1 gear. Iíll take the camera to get some pictures and video.

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 19:50:36 »
Iím borrowing Mike Cís design for the equipment tray. I have tacked together right now and Iíll epoxy it tomorrow.

Mike, how is the rail around the stern of your tug attached? Is epoxied flush with the deck or did you drill through the deck then bond or did you bolt through the deck?

Cheers
Barry

chipchase

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 05:46:23 »
Hi Barry, I have just been reading your thread. Looking at the photo of your nozzle I would fit the biggest prop as possible, If  you fit your prop in the centre of the nozzle you need to leave just enough clearance to allow the nozzle to turn without catching. Hope this helps.
Brian

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 07:26:51 »
Hi Barry - 50mm prop works OK - I've got a Robbe 1471 3 blade on mine and also will use this on the new one. I trim off the end so it allows room to remove it if necessary. A bit of Loctite or similar will hold it.
Looks good -

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 18:40:09 »
I did some testing on the lake this morning. There was a lot of algae on the surface of the lake and it made a mess on the hull. I strapped my GPS to the deck to measure the speed differences. The Motor is the Robbe 5.5:1 for all these tests. The first test was on the 2 cell batteries and the 4 blade 40mm prop. Top speed was 1.2 knots. With the 3 Blade 40mm plastic prop, top speed was 1.1 knots. I swapped out the batteries with the 3 cell packs and the top speed with the 3 blade prop was 1.7 knots and with the 4 blade 1.8 knots.

I ordered 50mm props yesterday afternoon. I should have them late next week. It is looking like Iíll be using the 3.3:1 gear with a 50mm 4 blade prop on 2 cells.

The pictures arenít the best because I was driving and filming at the same time. Here Is a link to a video of the tests.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDhaYi7bj5Q

Cheers
Barry

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 07:34:29 »
Hi Barry - looks good in the water - how does it turn with that nozzle?

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 16:54:24 »
Mike, The Tug turns very well, it almost spins on its axis going forward. Here is a link to a video of a spa test. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsrZjZYcPPM

I spent an hour yesterday looking at the Tugís in BC thread and watching sloughmacís videos on YouTube.  I like the looks of Harken 5. The colors look the same as the Allman-Hubble tugs from Grays Harbor. I used to run out to the back yard when I heard one of the tugs signal the Wishkah river bridges to open to watch them go by.  No more logging tugs on the harbor anymore, all the logs are brought in on trucks and have been for over 40 years now. But still have fond memories of watching the boom being towed by the house. Iím going to paint the tug in those colors. It looks like Caterpillar Yellow, does anyone know the true color?

woodbutcher

• Lloyd B. Gore
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 17:11:45 »
ask Gary King, West coast Tugs, he'll probably know.Al

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 11:44:31 »
Very close to Cat yellow. Think they use Intl paint, so likely one of their codes.
"Suds"

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 20:23:02 »
I made up the stern railing this evening. Made from 3/16Ē brass tubing and soldered. My tri-square made a nice fixture for holding the tubing pieces while soldering.

I looked up Interlux colors and I only found 1 yellow. But at $30 a quart, I'll use Cat yellow rattle can from the auto paint store. I not making any tug in particular so Cat yellow will be good enough for me.

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 22:43:40 »
That should work! Looks good.

Have you any ideas for the wheelhouse/cabin?