Author Topic: Another Alan B build Log  (Read 22347 times)

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
Re: Another Alan B build Log
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 08:28:29 »
I do have some ideas. Iíve never built a model with any interior detailing but I am going to do it with this tug. I found some pictures online of what I want to do. The Victory V and Harken 5 will be my inspiration for my ideas. For the exterior of the wheelhouse, bridge and deck I am just going to follow the drawing that came with the hull.  I am looking for a cast polymer pilot house door that will fit. Aimee down in Portland has a nice one but the 1/24 is too big and the 1/32 might be a bit too small. I wonder where the one on Ronís model came from?

Here is a link to an interior picture of the Victory V.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/32505738@N04/6028372134/
Can anyone tell me what the lever is between the helm and the throttle control? Is it a thruster or hydraulic winch control of some sort?

Fatcat

• Dan's RC Boats
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2012, 14:54:19 »
Looks like a bow thruster. Im not expert mind,

Dan

Tugboat Andy

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 19:55:02 »
Looks like jog steering. I'm guessing most guys run the boat with the jog lever. Probably has a matching jog stick up on the flybridge / upper helm station. ;)

http://www.hydraulic-systems.com/pages/prods_hydraulics_steering_steeringaccess_kobelt_joglever.htm
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 20:00:18 by Tugboat Andy »

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 17:35:42 »
I think your right Andy. I looked at the high-resolution version of the photo and I can read the kobelt on the stick.

I finished and mounted the stern railing and I have started building the deck fittings. I decided to mount the railing by bolting it through the deck. I epoxied some 2-56 screws into the railing stanchions, drilled holes in the deck and used nylock nuts to hold it in place, itís pretty stout.

In the past I just would have ordered fittings but I wanted to try making my own. I must admit I really enjoy making my ownÖ. So far.

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 17:50:12 »
That worked well!
You'll be able to lift it out of the water if necessary without fear of it oulling out of the deck.
When you set the deck into the hull, 4-6 small screws through the joint (covered by the fender eventually) will keep it all together.
It's coming along.

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 17:58:55 »
Iíve been making some deck fittings and working out the final wiring. I made the cross bollards, Exhaust stack, and remote helm from carbon fiber tube and rod. I made the main towing bit and bow fairlead from brass. I want to paint the deck before I join it to the hull. We no longer have a local hobby shop close by so I ordered the paint online and it will be here early next week. Iím making a heat shield for the exhaust stack from sheet aluminum. Iíve got a lot of holes to drill! I am also working on some Morse controls for both the pilot house and remote helms. Anyone have a good idea for the controls?

The new props finally arrived this week and they make a huge difference! 50mm prop with 5.5:1 gear and 2 cell Lipo batteries and I can completely bury the bow. Once I get the deck sealed in place Iíll get some more video. The deck is really awash at full throttle. I put 350 grams of lead towards the aft end of the pod and that really gives the right trim. 

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 18:06:26 »
I had some Amsteel Blue left over from my fullsze sailboat and spliced them up into some tow lines and bridles. They look a little big, 7/64 inch should be 3 inches or so at 1:24. I think they look good.

Cheers
Barry

Tugboat Andy

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2012, 23:02:38 »
Glad to hear the new wheel took care of the performance issue. Looking very nice.

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 06:13:22 »
Looks good Barry!
What make of prop is that one?
Mine is coming slower than I hoped - just got the electronics box done this weekend.
Grandkids got a trainset for Christmas and that is on the build list as well.

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 07:11:25 »
Thanks Mike,

The prop is a 4 blade 50mm Rivabo. It definitely requires a jam nut and loctite. I spun it right off in the first 5 seconds. I thought I broke something!

Cheers,
Barry

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 00:15:09 »
I was stuck at home for a few days in the snow, nothing like inclement weather to spur on some progress. I actually started by building a new drydock/hanger (workbench) for building models. After finishing that project it was back to sanding and fitting. I got the hull and deck joined and painted. I was delayed by the snow waiting for the humbrol paints to arrive. I wanted to paint the deck surface before joining. After painting I felt the colour gray (humbrol 32) I picked out was too dark. Iím going to paint the deck a lighter shade of gray. Iím going to let the hull set a week for the satin clear to fully set, so ďll be spending the next couple of weeks or so working on the pilot house.

Iíve never built a boat with clear windows and a detailed interior, any hints for framing and glazing the pilot house windows?

woodbutcher

• Lloyd B. Gore
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2012, 17:25:14 »
every time I go to glue the windows in I get the palsy and smaer  or drip glue everywhere, what a mess, I've learned to live with a bit of imperfection. Al

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 07:52:48 »
Hi Barry
Coming along there - what did you use to bond the deck to the hull?
I use a grey primer for decks, satin black & red primer for the hull from the local auto parts store - although I'd experiment first on something else. Done a bit of sanding afterwards before!

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:09 »
Hi Mike,
I used West Systems 105/205 with 407 filler. I allpied it to the hull and set the deck in place and held the deck down with some lead shot bags, and diving weights. I injected the filler in the spots that did not squeeze out then made a nice fillet between the hull and the deck. It didn't require much sanding after it cured. I only had to touch up a few places with spot filler. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

What did you use for your fendering? I bought some of the 3/8" from harbor models but I think is is a bit thin. It fits the seam perfect but does not stick out much.

I had a bit of a set back while I was preping the hull for paint. I left the hull on my new workbench and a curious kittie descided to check it out while I was taking a break. The hull hit the floor and broke the nozzle off flush with the hull. I had to drill and acess hole to the top of the post to get the old post out. Fortunately I had an extra nozzle. I'll add a resin cast hatch in the raised area where I drilled the hole.

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 11:22:46 »
Umm - have three cats - one will eventually bond himself to the bench as far too helpful and curious at the wrong time. Been lucky though except on a large coast guard cutter one of them has chewed on the rigging and I don't know now where the ends all go!

Fendering - tugs53 put me on to a local marine supply - hatch sealing - some comes in packages of 10 feet or so, others on a reel and cut to length. Lots of choices plus Aimee has some custom molded stock -

windows - my attemps are similar to Al's but I think the inside of the cast cabin will need a tweak to get the windows to seat properly (waiting to see what you do there!)