Author Topic: Another Alan B build Log  (Read 19982 times)

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
Re: Another Alan B build Log
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2012, 10:54:01 »
While on sea trials today, a few of my logs broke free from the raft. I got some practice in rounding up some stray logs. I looks like I need to add some teeth to the bow to make it easier to round-up the strays. Time to break out the torch and files!
Cheers
Barry

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2012, 15:08:14 »
Here is some video. It was hard to drive and film at the same time.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8watK1Z0d4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8watK1Z0d4</a>

Cheers
Barry

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2012, 15:24:04 »
She run's out nice :)

No surprises there cool
"Suds"

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2012, 16:53:40 »
I meant to post this picture too. I got this idea for window frames from Keith S in Bellingham (via Mike in BC). Its Styrene H channel (Evergreen #274) with inside leg cut off. Makes a clean install. I wished I knew about this before I put my first set of windows in. The picture posting issue seems to be resolved!

Cheers
Barry

west coast tug

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2012, 19:54:09 »
Try using HO ,N gauge and Z gauge railway track if you want metal looking .
Gary

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2012, 21:00:16 »
HI GARY ; The DOUG A is coming along just fine . I tried a fixed court-duct & rudder ,and it took 5 1/2 feet to turn it so i added that square tubing to the trailing edge and now it is fine . That winch of ULRICH 's  looks good on it and it working fine.  I have to get back at the house-works and get it finished .   I think it will be a great little boat when finished.             PUFFIN

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2012, 05:09:56 »
Those windows worked well - CA the fingers to the house doing those?

Wishkah

• Site Supporter
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2012, 06:34:47 »
Gary,
Thanks for the tip. Do you place the top of the track facing inside or outside of the house? Does CA hold them in place very well? I'll have to give that a try on my next build.  By the way, I am very happy with the performance of the boat, Thanks!! It is very nimble and fun to putter around with. I'm looking forward to building the sidewinder. I could have used it to gather up the stray logs that broke out of the raft during my tests.

Mile,
yes I did CA my fingers a few times. I keep some debonder on the bench whenever I'm using CA! I wish I knew about using the H-channel ealier, It would have been easier to glue in place and would look even cleaner.

It is amazing how much the camera pick's up flaws in the finish. I didn't notice them while I was building. but the macro and flash sure makes them stand out. I've never been very good at painting. maybe one of these day's I'll figure it out.
Cheers
Barry

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2012, 10:17:19 »
Hi Barry - same thing here with painting, etc. I just remember these are work boats and probably are reasonably looked after but not pristine. I took a bunch of photos of a group of workboats in Nanaimo the other day and they were all in fair shape.
Filled in the aluminum tubing on my hull but spread a little more than I wanted beyond the lip - now trying to clean it up and get some paint on it.
Slow going but other tasks tend to interfere!