Author Topic: tyne tugs  (Read 6496 times)

Gerryg

tyne tugs
« on: January 12, 2012, 12:19:29 »
Hi folks thought you would like to see a couple of photos which are close to me as my uncle was skipper of this tug on the river tyne.

Roby

Re: tyne tugs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 13:22:31 »
Hi gerryg my name is Robert my grandfarther and my dad where allso tyne tugboatman from 1920s to 1970 , My dad was allso a skipper on the tugs. My grandfarther was on the paddle tug Hercules she was struck by the napier star and sank, He was one of the engineers who was saved. My dad was on the tugs he worked on the Comet, langton,Southsider,George v,Beamish,  Great times  Roby.
TUG IT.

Gerryg

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:36:43 »
Hi Robert nice to hear from you not sure to much about my uncles who where called Stan and George Ferguson I remember as a child with my gran waiting at the ferry landing and the George V was moored along side and my uncle stan saw us and we went aboard her for a look around the next time i recall he was skipper of the Alnwick sadly they are long past away now. Do you live next to the river ?

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 09:03:03 »
Welcome aboard the Model Tug Forum Gerryg :) :)

Very nice photos.
MIKE

Roby

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 05:38:37 »
Hi Gerryg dont live that far from the river about 25-30 min walk always had a great interest on the river especially tyne tugs. Many happy memories always on the tug whith my dad. Do you live near the river as well.   ROBY.
TUG IT.

Gerryg

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 12:49:50 »
hi Robert I live in Jarrow noe but was brought up in beach road south shields I served my time as a marine fitter on the river at middle docks so I had ample opportunity to see then going up and downt the river.Also at that time there was still quite a few of the old steam tugs working much more interesting dont you think. I also saw the Eppelton Hall paddle tug leave the river on its way to San Francisco a great sight.One of my other favourite tugs was the old Beamish loved that boat.I was looking at your photos some I have seen before but I liked the one with all the siders moored together.

Roby

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 13:08:33 »
Hi Gerryg glad you liked pic,s of beamish have many more of her on the tyne and in canada.in my collection.  here is one of many that you might like  Roby.
TUG IT.

Gerryg

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 13:53:34 »
Nice photo of the beamish about the photo of the siders I think the one second from the left is the Wearsider ? any idea what the one on the far right just out of the photo is ?

Roby

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 01:20:15 »
Hi gerryg the photo that you are on about is it the four tugs  right to left holmsider, northsider,tynesider,seasider Roby.
TUG IT.

tugmate

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:41:09 »
Hello Robert ,
                    It brings back happy memorys looking at the tyne
tug Alnwick as I worked on her sister Ashbrooke as a cabin lad
under skipper Bob Hunter , also Jack who was crewman taught
me how to scull with one oar , I was also on the steam  tug
Southsider under skipper George Gardiner along with Dick ,
and Peter Turner who also lives in North Shields this was in
1963 to 1965 , I cannot remember the rest of the crew names
with been so far back as I am aged 65 . I was at the launch of
the Esso Newcastle along with the Bamburgh on the stern end
and the wire broke hitting one of the crew on bamburg where
he suffered a broken leg after been hit but the wire caught a
bollard first otherwise it may have taken his leg off altogether ,
he was then taken to south shields ferry landing where an ambulance was waiting to take him to hospital , he recovered
after about 12 weeks .  Norman . ;)

Roby

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 22:43:13 »
Hi Tugmate here is a photo taken on the tug southsider i think it is when she first came to the tyne, on the photo is my dad he is third from the left. All so is george gardiner
                                                          Roby.
TUG IT.

Roby

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 00:42:18 »
 Hi here is three advert,s 1, Anchor tugs 2, Lawson- Batey Tugs 3, black Diamond line of Tugs
                                                                                                       Roby.
TUG IT.

arcobeck

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 03:08:55 »
Remember all your relatives well as I was on the Alnwick a couple of times relieving when my tug Beamish was laid up plus I went to school with the lad BobWilson

Barry

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 00:59:16 »
My late grandfather, John Gibson, work on the Ashbrooke from when she was launched until his death in 1963.
He's on the right in the black and white photo and second from the right in the colour one.
Unfortunately no one left in the family remembers who any of the others are.

towrope

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 13:53:57 »
I Believe in the colour photo from left to right are Lisle Nicolson, Richy cant remember his second name Barny Bell, and the one with the cup of tea could be Jack Hunter