Author Topic: Kingston Lacy Build  (Read 32754 times)

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Kingston Lacy Build
« on: February 10, 2012, 02:36:13 »
Well here we go  with thanks first of all to Peter (rea towing co ) on the forum, for supplying me with a set of drawings and lots of pictures.
She took my fancy as a classic looking tug you all know me by now no ultra modern stuff I'm too old for that,I like the older styles, tugs that is .
The first thing to do was to scale up the drawings  to 1/16th scale which brings her out at about 54" long much nicer to work at than the Waverley was.
once the drawings were done the frames were transferred to 9mm ply and cut out,and then dry fitted together and all tye wrapped at the joins to see if it looked OK.
once happy with the look of it she was glued and pinned together,and the frames faired to shape.
The drawings and frames were  all done in the two weeks before Christmas,and then put away until I had finished the Waverley,at the end of January.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:53:13 by model tugman »
Tugs are for life      George B

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: Kingston Lacy Build
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:43:27 »
Frames cut out and temp fitted together ;) the motor an E bay purchase brand new for 20. is a Peugeot Boxer cooling fan job running light on 12 volts it draws 2 amps so should have no trouble swinging a 110mm prop.
The motor mount is included as part of the hull frames so will be very strong. ;D

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:47:57 »
After gluing the frame together the shaft and motor were laid in place to check for any alignment problems that may have cropped up but it will line up fine :o :o  the next job will be to start on the skins, I shall be using 4mm birch ply for this ,so more to follow ::) ::)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:49:49 by model tugman »

tugboyben

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:09:27 »
Very nice George

I will keep my eye on this build i do like this type tug

regards jason
kirkleesmodelboatclub

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 04:39:25 »
Wow George, you didn't take much time off between this one and the Waverly--lucky for us. Looking forward to the build.
VGJQ

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 05:29:09 »
Yes me too.. :)
Barry

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 07:18:50 »
Right here we go again starting with the bottom skins, these were first cut out of fairly stiff card,in two halves because of the length. then the card templates were trial fitted ,and then cut out of 4mm ply. :)

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 07:24:44 »
The next problem is the compound curves at the bow, because 4mm ply is quite stiff I soaked the bow pieces in the bath  (sorry indoor test tank ) ::) in hot water for 20minutes before clamping in place to dry, after they dried they were again soaked in hot water and clamped in place again until quite dry, when removed the curves required were in place and the skins fit so that there is no stress when put in place.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:02:43 by model tugman »

chipchase

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 13:54:25 »
reat start George, she is going to need a lot of ballast (4ft 6inch big tug)  ;D ;D ;D 
Brian

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 14:48:30 »
Hi chipchase  you are right there, I am thinking along the lines of a 48 amp hour gell cell batterryand about 20lbs of lead or thereabouts, but it will all be removeable so not too heavy to cart about, we have a crane ,that we built at our lake so we just sit the big tugs in the cradle ,load them up  and drop them in  ;) ;)

islander

• Love the classics!!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 15:23:58 »
" (4ft 6inch big tug)"...WOW!!!

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 18:05:40 »
Another beauty in the making!
MIKE

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 08:34:14 »
Hello Islander  we like em big in our club,we are all getting older and the big uns are easier to see ;D ;D,these are some more 54inch plus models that I have made over the last few years.hope you enjoy  Geo.

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 08:39:48 »
Those are definately easy to see and a real pleasure also!!
"Suds"

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 08:40:04 »
and here are a couple more,the two funneled one Racia ex oceaan is about the longest she is 58 inches. ???
at the last count we have 20 plus 1/2" to the foot tugs in the club,as well as a 16ft towboat.  Geo :)