Author Topic: PSV Lowland Prowler 1:70 Build  (Read 12214 times)

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter
PSV Lowland Prowler 1:70 Build
« on: March 02, 2012, 13:35:56 »
Hi folks,

I'm nominating this for the 'model taking the longest time to complete' award. May not make first prize but it's gotta be a contender!

I read the Model Boats magazine for the first time in June 1996 and John Gray's article on the Ngan Chau build inspired me to have a go at scratch building. John, if you're out there, thanks for getting me started. I still have the magazine issues covering the build!!

So, I chose the first ship I ever worked on; A Platform Supply Vessel called the Lowland Prowler. She was built in mid 1980's and operated by Lowline Ltd when I first joined her in 1993. She is still around, albeit with an extended main deck and in different colours under the name of 'Oil Tracer' for Tidewater.

I started the project towards the end of 1996 but in '97 I got married, bought a house and soon started a family. So the planked frame ended up on top of the wardrobe and there it has been until last year when I discovered this site and finally decided to take it down and get it done. Thanks for the renewed inspiration guys!
It's still not finished but I'm getting there! Thought I would share the photo's!

CT

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
Re: PSV Lowland Prowler 1:70 Build
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 13:53:02 »
 Now lets see some photos of the model... ;)
Barry

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 13:55:12 »
I didn't have much in the way of plans, just a brochure showing small scale deck arrangement plans and elevation along with some pictures I had taken. So it took some rescaling, drawing and interpolation to get a decent hull form.
I followed John Gray's method for frame and planking.

CT

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 14:00:26 »
The Prowler has two tunnel thrusters forward and two down aft.
I decided to fit one each end and fit two dummy tubes.

Once these were fitted and the planking finished, it got side-lined for the best part of 15 years!

CT

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 14:23:14 »
So, last year, after finding this site and reading all your posts, excited like a kid with a new toy, I took it down and got back into it.

First thing I did was F*** up! After spending some time filing and sanding and using some fast setting resin and thin glass cloth I went to coat the hull. Set out with one piece of cloth which draped seamlessly over the up-turned hull when it was dry.

Applied the resin, re-draped the cloth and.....oh boy was I in trouble! Couldn't get it to flatten, creases and folds everywhere and the resin was going off rapidly! Before it was a total disaster, I removed the cloth and smoothed the resin as much as possible.

It ruined the previously smooth surface so several hours of sanding taught me a useful lesson; go for slow cure resin and use smaller pieces of cloth!

Once fibre glassed I gave it a rub back and gave it a coat of household primer.

CT

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 14:25:52 »
A coat of enamel paint and some more filling and sanding!

CT

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 14:29:06 »
Some more coats of enamel and then set the props and rudders.
CT

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 14:54:43 »
The after hatch give access to the stern thruster and rudders/servo's. The amidships hatch will give access to the batteries, power boards, fuses, ESC's and sound boards. There's also a forward hatch under the accommodation for access to bow thruster, anchor winch, light board and receiver.

CT

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 14:55:26 »
Looking good CT!! 
What are the dimensions?
"Suds"

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 15:19:28 »
Hi Suds,

Real one is 70m long so a nice round 1m length. If I remember rightly she's 17.5m breadth so about 25cm scaled.
Summer draft 5.25m I think so she'll be 7.5cm deep in the water.

CT

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 15:38:04 »
Just realised my picture sizes are a bit hefty! Will try reducing them.

Focsle bulwarks being built in 1mm plasticard with brass bollards, panama leads and roller leads.
Hawes pipe made from 7mm tube to allow running and housing of anchor.
The accommodation is started with brass rails (12mm high).

On the main deck the safety rails which incorporate the cargo lines are made from 1mm plasticard uprights set into 1mm plasticard slots and brass rails/cargo lines.

Vent heads set into the deck.

The main deck cover is 1mm aluminium which will be covered with wooden decking bars.

CT

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 15:53:14 »
Going to be a beauty!

Can you use 1/72 scale fittings?
Handy if you can.
"Suds"

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 16:52:27 »
Nice build sir!
MIKE

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 06:47:12 »
Hi Suds,

Yeah, 1/72 is close enough for the naked eye. I was hoping to put some deck workers on it but can't find anything suitable in that scale. If anyone's got any ideas.....

Thanks Mike!

islander

• Love the classics!!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 08:33:59 »
Try looking at some of the scale Railway sites, and you should find some realy great figures and other stuff in the equivelent scale.  Often they have some cool decals which can be used on boats as well, such as safety warnings and such.