Author Topic: JACKO  (Read 9891 times)

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
JACKO
« on: March 03, 2012, 08:57:40 »
Those who followed the Katrina build will remember the help and parts donated by my twelve year old grandson Jack. Its now pay-back time and we are going to start building HIS tug.

What to build? It seemed to be a good idea to build something fairly simple with not too much detail to be knocked off, a reasonable size and of a fairly rugged construction. This suggested a plastic or fibreglass hull to start with. The old 27mgh radio being removed from Katrina could be installed in the new build. After a bit of searching around I found a new plastic hull advertised 29.5"x8". Looking at various tug types I finally came up with the idea of building a Thames 'tosher', a little launch tug. Looking through an old mag I came across a builders drawing 5"x5" of ESSO TILBURY. Scaling it up it came out at 1:16 to that hull, almost to the mm. I managed to upsize the original magazine drawing to full size 1:16 on the computer by doing it in three sections and sellotaping them together. So this is the one JACKO will be based on.
Ordered the hull yesterday at 1400 and it arrived today at 1200. Pics attached below. Some modifications obviously neccesary and this will not be a rapid build as obviously grandson wants to be involved and the price to be paid for acquisition of the new 2.4 radio also involves some gardening and decorating for 'er indoors. Off now to put thinking cap on.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:49:14 by thamestug »
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!
IF IT DONT FLOAT...TOW IT UNTIL IT DOES!!!!

islander

• Love the classics!!!!
Re: JACKO
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:15:08 »
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:17:27 by islander »

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 09:48:02 »
Yep, islander, thats the one. Nobody seems to be able to explain why they were always known as 'toshers' on the Thames. Below is the plan I found in the magazine, published just after she was built.
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 20:09:26 »
That's a good looking boat. Should be a good project.

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:06:19 »
The vac formed hull was of course fairly 'floppy' so obviously needed some stiffening. I have left the edges on to give it a little rigidity and might in fact leave them on until the deck is fitted, then cut them round with saw and sand down to deck level. [flush deck] Decided where bulkheads would need to go and marked with felt tip. I used a piece of thick single strand insulated copper wire pressed round inside of hull to get shape of bulkheads. [pic 1] Transfer onto ply and then cut oversize by a couple of mm and this allows fairing into final shape with sandpaper. Second pic show first fit of interior keel/keelson??. Third pic shows interior and exterior keels together with prop shaft marked before cutting away surplus for positioning bulkheads etc. Looks like this will need about a 14" prop shaft and I will cut most of the slot away before attaching keels, cutting away the 'tabs' when set in position.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:08:40 by thamestug »
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 12:55:47 »
Looks like a fun project. How old is your grandson? I have a 6 and a 4.
VGJQ

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 07:20:30 »
My grandson is twelve and just starting to take an intelligent interest. Next few years should be fun until Motorbikes and girls are discovered.
Back on this build now and tackling the flat transom stern problem. Decided best way to try first would be to shape up a wooden block to give a rounded counter stern so been laminating that up. I epoxied a false ply bulkhead to the inside of the existing flat stern and hope to epoxy laminated block onto flat stern and then screw right through. Block then to be coated with filler and faired into existing hull and all rubbed down. Thats the theory anyway. Hopefully pics to follow soon when camera recharged.
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 08:20:37 »
Pics attached showing laminated false counter stern epoxied and screwed to flat transom with stiffener inside and coated with bridging filler. General view of frames laying in hull
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:27:59 by thamestug »
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 07:50:15 »
 ^-^
School half-term and changeable weather has prompted quite a bit of progress. Bulkheads installed, longitudinal deck bearers in, hull roughly trimmed. prop shaft, rudder tube and motor installed. First fit of cabins shown. Basically at moment making a kit of parts before securing anything. Because this will be a low freeboard model I want all elecs except possibly the rudder servo in the main cabin and will try and built that with just a removeable roof, possibly secured with a screw down the funnel to try and stop any deck water getting below as there are no bulwarks amidships. Possibly installing ESC and receiver etc on removeable 'shelf' above motor with battery in forepart of cabin. Jack has been busy rubbing down the add-on counter stern and shaping it, so that now it needs some final filling  and rubbing down again. Have decided due to thinness of hull that once deck is glued and screwed down I will glue and screw a 20mmx2mm plastic rubbing band around the hull at deck level to tie everything together. . I think on mature reflection I would not use one of these 'cheapo' hulls again.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:53:13 by thamestug »
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 07:57:46 »
She's looking good :) :)
MIKE

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 08:42:11 »
Bit more progress.  Jacks been here today and insisted on a funnel. [All real tugs have a funnel!] Cant really argue with that. So he got on and made one from a Johnsons baby powder can. The step/lockers in the cockpit is actually hollow and will carry the steering servo lead.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:48:42 by thamestug »
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 09:14:11 »
Bit more progress.  Jacks been here today and insisted on a funnel. [All real tugs have a funnel!] Cant really argue with that. So he got on and made one from a Johnsons baby powder can. The step/lockers in the cockpit is actually hollow and will carry the steering servo lead.
[/

HI THAMESTUG ; Did thoughs tug not have a wet exhaust .  ( a pipe at water level on the stern )

PUFFIN

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 10:33:44 »
You are getting the hang of this model making lark Pete. angel
Tugs are for life      George B

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 10:37:26 »
Hi Puffin

I think that some of the very small ones did have a wet exhaust but most of the slightly larger craft seemed to have something as simple as a plain exhaust up through the casing top. I have seen some with what looks like a complete truck exhaust system mounted horizontally on the casing top complete with silencer. A surprising number seem to have built a dummy funnel casing around the exhaust, possibly just to carry their logo. You can see some of the various types by flicking thru this site

www.lighteragetugs.co.uk
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 03:35:41 »
Looks like you are making the best of what you have to work with. She is coming along nicely.
VGJQ