Author Topic: JACKO  (Read 8019 times)

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
Re: JACKO
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 06:04:34 »
Started getting the bulwarks on fore and aft and the bandstand. Toe rails also in place. Have decided to live with the odd lumps and bumps in the hull and use them to create a knocked about look. These little toshers had a hard life pushing their way thru the lighters in the london docks and never looked pristine for long. Also an excuse to try my hand at a bit of weathering, something I have never done before so if it all goes wrong then hey its only a cheapo model for a pre-teen and is probably going to be loaded up with toy soldiers etc when not afloat, hence its probably a bit over engineered in places. 'Er indoors' has started knitting the bow and stern fenders out of hairy green garden string. Hairy because I want to try and distress them and get that walrus moustache look. I am thinking of applying a wire brush. Have already experimented and found that dunking the green string in hot bleachy water takes it back to a natural colour. Gonna be an interesting few weeks!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:06:24 by thamestug »
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!
IF IT DONT FLOAT...TOW IT UNTIL IT DOES!!!!

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 06:40:34 »
Lookking great Pete I like the hairy fender Idea. cool  cool
Tugs are for life      George B

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 11:15:19 »
Nice work!

I'd send you a picture of my moustashe but can't find one.....for your hairy fender idea :D :D
MIKE

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 06:47:55 »
Drizzle with the threat of worse to come decided me not to go to the lake this morning [Katrina's not the sort of boat you can whip out of the water quickly and dash for the car when it starts to pour] so decided to do a bit more to Jacko.

Handrails from brazing rod and splits pins. The screw down the funnel idea seems feasible  so will press on with whole of cabin top removeable to change batteries etc. Had an idea about fitting the on/off switch in the cockpit underneath a removeable skippers seat. We will see. No, the steering wheel wont stay that colour! Third pic shows mast down in low air-draught mode. Theory is I shall fit the masthead lights in a frame pinned at the top so that when mast is lowered they will pivot to vertical and sit upright in front of front towing bitt, giving low level towing lights. Thats the theory anyway.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:53:15 by thamestug »
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 09:10:16 »
looking really good Pete :-*

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 04:43:10 »
First bits painted. Managed to get hold of what seems to be a good book on airbrushing so will be having a read up on weathering etc as thats definitely the route to go altho i am not proud to say that a lot of it will be covering shortcomings in my work on the hull. Nuff said but as er indoors said ' what can you expect for 12', and grandson Jack seems happy enough with it. In all honesty i would probably have killed to get hold of something anywhere like this when I was twelve!
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 05:21:36 »
She is really coming along. Nice work.
VGJQ

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 07:42:17 »
The bow fender experiment - MK 1

First pic shows as delivered by herself. A six inch square of knitted green garden string folded diagonally and sewn along the edges. Second and third pics show after being soaked in hot water and bleach and then combed with a wire brush whilst still wet. Will now wait and see what it looks like when dry and may attack it further then. Varied the amount of immersion in the bleach in the hopes of getting it paler near the waterline altho it doesnt show up very well in the pics.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:44:38 by thamestug »
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 09:31:26 »
Ha I can see orders for fenders comong somebody's way :-*

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 21:56:36 »
Good thinking getting the wife involved. What's she like at sanding?

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 22:11:20 »
IF YOU KNOW SOME ONE THAT CROCHETS  . Get them to make the bumpers then soak them in strong tea ,for a day or so then rinse them off . Use butcher twine , you can get some from the butcher it is the stuff they tie up the roast with . You can  take a brass wire brush and buff it up at the end if you wish .                                 PUFFIN

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 08:19:18 »
Mk 1 experiment looks fine.
"Suds"

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 06:06:31 »
Thanks for the fender input guys. Made a bit more progress. The towing lights/mast idea seemed to have worked out, just a bit of cleaning up to do. Pics two and three show the mast up and in low air draught position. For a really low situation it could sit over the bow and sit on the rubbing band. About two weeks to trials I would think.
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

the goon

• Boat butcher
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 10:26:58 »

Thamestug,

Very nice indeed   :).

Mark
"Can't see it from my house"

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 11:36:42 »