Author Topic: African pusher  (Read 4120 times)

alanmack

African pusher
« on: March 23, 2012, 07:40:55 »
Hello All,
             As a first post on this forum may I please ask for some help.

After having the drawing for years, I have finally got down to building the old Model Maker Plan no 651 'Conakry' by Steve Jewitt. This was a shallow draught pusher tug for use on West African rivers/estuaries. The hull has been beefed up so that it will now really push a barge or two (r/c of course) and is a bit too semi-scale so I'd like to 'tart it up' a little before I get too close to completion.

I need to find more about the original British-built craft that inspired this model. I have the original MM article of July 1961. There was a follow-up item with a photo in a later MM but no longer available to me and the date not traceable as it was not indexed. Neither to my recollection names the builder.

If any forum member has knowledge in this area, what I would like to know please is:

a. the date of the Model Maker issue with the follow-up piece;

b. the name of the yard the original was produced in;
or
c. any suggestion for other British yards building similar vessels in the late Fifties.

Sorry to ask you to cast your minds back that far! Thank you in advance for any advice forthcoming.

Alan

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: African pusher
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 08:45:16 »
Welcome to the Forum, Alanmack. No worries as most of the members dwell in the past anyway. While I can't provide any assistance directly I am sure that there are members who are now sifting through reams of old magazines, article clippings and pictures. Best of luck with your build and certainly feel free to post pictures of your boat.

TM
VGJQ

alanmack

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 05:56:31 »
Hi TM,
         Thank you for the greeting. If anyone is interested I will post the odd picture. I'll start with a silhouette I did to show the unusual profile.

Alan

alanmack

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 12:39:16 »
Hi,
    More pictures, as requested.

As this was not envisaged as a build sequence in pictures they're a bit scrappy, taken as the opportunity arose just as an aide-memoire. I apologise for occasionally "doctoring" the images' unsuitable backgrounds.

It's a light boat with little displacement that would happily have run in much less than an inch of water if I hadn't planned on a slightly bigger prop and rudder for more effort.

The model was originally a free-runner so strengthening the bow has been a must if it is to "push" without damage. Accordingly I have put in extra frames behind the middle knees which I now wish I'd done with the other pair as well. Ho Hum!

Alan

alanmack

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 07:44:42 »
Hi again,
              Some more pictures, etc.

The Pusher Knees

The knees need to be dowelled in to withstand lateral forces. They are wood with tee-section plastic epoxied into a groove.

Having done things XXXX-about-face you'll spot that I had to remove the doped on tissue where the knees had to go which was probably easier than putting it on between the knees after fixing them.

The webs are largely decoration from scraps of liteply and ply. Caps will go on the posts when ready for painting.

From a practical point of view rescuing other boats on the pond will necessitate some fendering at the front to cut complaints about scratched paint  Since access to the middle pair is very restricted, the knees have been pre-drilled for attachments.

Alan

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 07:49:38 »
Coming along good! cool
MIKE

alanmack

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 06:22:32 »
Hi,
   The coaming round the deck opening is now completed and sealed and ready for a bit of paint next.

Since painting does not make good reading I'll back-track a little with pictures of the rudder assembly which is something of a problem in this model (a conversion to r/c from an old free-runner). Being shallow and with a tunnel hull form, there is not a lot of room in the stern for a waterproof rudder tube - hence the shape of the tiller bar. I've also used a threaded rudder shaft to hold plenty of grease. Needing only a short length I used a brass bolt from the scrap box.

The rudder blade is made from polyester car filler (P38) on a support of expanded aluminium mesh. Before 'weaving' the shaft into the mesh the screw head was sliced off flat either side. I fixed it in position with a small amount of filler and then when set, trimmed back the mesh to well within the outline especially at the thin aft edge of the blade and checked the alignment. More layers of filler were then added gradually to build up the required shape and section, filed off and finished. If this sounds weak, I've made half a dozen this way and never broken one yet.

Alan

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 11:48:37 »
Thats looking good  cool cool
john b

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 19:55:16 »
Good progress.