Author Topic: Why do so many tugs have "garth" in their names?  (Read 5062 times)

Oldlugger

• www.theholidaymoviecompany.com
Why do so many tugs have "garth" in their names?
« on: March 24, 2012, 13:31:43 »
Why do so many tugs seem to be called "......garth"?

Simon

islander

• Love the classics!!!!
Re: Why do so many tugs have "garth" in their names?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 16:34:21 »
Very good question!

blackbeard pirate

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 23:02:12 »
Most of my tugs fly under the flag of 'Holyhead towing company' starting with 'Afon wen' meaning white river, Afon being river and wen being white. Garth seems to have a similar connection within the welsh language, it meaning: quadrangle of green surrounded by buildings. This could have a relationship to the tug names ie 'Rose garth' being a quadrangle of green with roses in it!

Pirate

bourricot

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 02:35:07 »
As you said Pirate I was thinking about just a compagny tradition to name their tugs.

It's the same in a lot of compagnies with name of cities, name of winds etc...  and also series like Titanic, Olympic Britannic or for Middlesbrough tugs Acklam Cross, Euston Cross, Skelton Cross and even now a rest of tradition with the actual Ayton Cross

But thank you for the explanation for the meaning of the term itself at the end of word : Garth.

Bourricot   

Dazzy1960

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 04:56:16 »
Hi,

'garth was used by Rea Towage / Cory Towage in the UK, usually aligned with a type of tree or wood; Brackengarth, Hollygarth, Eldergarth, Rowangarth, Oakgarth, Ashgarth, Thorngarth (etc) were or are Liverpool tugs.

In South Wales, Cory tugs were also 'garth, but with a local connection - Anglegarth, Dalegarth, etc.,

All these names are detailed in an excellent book on Cory Towage by W.J. Harvey which is available from the World Ship Society. This book gives full details of all tugs / fleets / companies bought or taken over by Cory, before the harbour towage part of the company was sold to Wijsmuller, Svitzer, etc.

I have no connection with the writer, but it is a good book to dip into for individual tug histories - loads of good modelling detail photos in there as well!
Hope this helps!!

Dazzy 

Oldlugger

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 13:38:10 »
Thanks for your replies everyone; most interesting. In a way the "garth" name is a little like "TID"; perhaps without a truly identifiable meaning... or one that has disappeared into the depths of time? I can now see the tree connection though. All very nice and rather romantic names!

Cheers
Simon

bourricot

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 14:07:41 »
For me there is not connection between Garth and TID

Garth is like a symbol of a compagny and all tugs from Rea / Cory are easily recognizable for any maritim people with those names finishing with Garth

TID is fully different : to avoid names for this large serie of small tugs they received like a car license plate instead of names

TID is an acronym for Tug Inshore Dock + a serial number.

It is the same for many navy, army tugs and other small boats like YTB, PTB etc ...

Bourricot

Oldlugger

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 15:01:14 »
I didn't mean this in a literal sense! It could be a comparative reference to any enigmatic name or expression, nautical or otherwise. I was under the "impression" that there is no definitive meaning to the acronym "TID" even though many have been suggested.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 09:14:14 by Oldlugger »

meechingman

• Tugs rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert's Website
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 13:02:14 »
I think the TID debate has been done over and over, the general consensus being that Tug Inshore and Dock is the correct explanation of the acronym.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet

Oldlugger

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 09:19:53 »
Thank you for your warm response meechingman. Could it matter less? Anyway, this is a discussion about the name "garth", not TID.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 09:24:39 by Oldlugger »