Author Topic: My old tug  (Read 2969 times)

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
My old tug
« on: March 25, 2012, 14:38:32 »
I originally built this boat from a Staubitz semi kit back in 1979. She was originally built as a steam tug but was nearly destroyed by some contractors that were doing some work on my house. I rebuilt her several years ago as you see here and she has been sitting in a case for years. I recently replaced the electronics and had her out for a test float today. I had placed the batteries in her on end and she was tippy as heck. After a few close calls I pulled one of the batteries out and laid the other one down and she ran much better but a little too high. I will be cutting the battery box out and replacing it with a new one that will accomodate the batteries in the horizontal position. The steering was also very stiff so some work will need to be done there. Will post more as I get her in shape for the summer.

I had planned to place the batteries in my Franklin vertically but not after this. Glad I tried it out this way before all the building out I would have to do on the Franklin.
VGJQ

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: My old tug
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 15:52:05 »
Cool...what are the specs
MIKE

capt scott

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 18:41:07 »
very nice tug glad to see her back in service http://modeltugforum.com/Smileys//fantasticsmileys/cool

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 23:20:19 »
Great looking tug for her age.
john b

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:12:52 »
Just noticed in the first picture that my seagull had died--ha, ha.

She is 42 " LOA. She started with a Mabuchi 6V motor then got repowered with a Dumas Pittman 12V. Will have to post a picture of the interior. She has a Harbor Models power management module which I really like. She has a Action 20 AMP ESC which worked flawlessly. There is also an Action electronic switch for the horn. The horn was purchased many years ago and my memory does not work so good these days. I had gotten a deal on some SLA batteries and started with two but had stability problems with them standing up so will re-engineer the battery box.

Karl, at Microglass, is considering re-releasing this hull. Karl does excellent work and has reasonable prices. He did my Franklin hull, too.

Stay tuned.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 06:18:22 »
Oh, by the way--She has a new Spektrum 5 channel radio. I have a second one that is going in the Franklin when she is ready.
VGJQ

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:27:19 »
Great looking tug Sir!
"Suds"

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 11:58:47 »