Author Topic: Posting Issues  (Read 11472 times)

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
Posting Issues
« on: March 27, 2012, 12:16:09 »
As most of you are more than aware we are having serious problems posting photographs on the forum. it appears that the problem is worse on the North American side of the water, but it is still a problem for many on the European side too. We are looking at ways to alleviate this problem and one way is to use an external host to keep your photos on as posting from these sites seems to be much quicker.

If we do go down this path it will mean joining a site like Flickr, which you may or may not want to do. It is for this reason that I ask the questions above in poll format. We can then get an idea of what the members think before taking the matter forward.

Please give us your opinion and if you have any other ideas please let us know below. Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:26:58 by Footski »
Barry

bourricot

Re: Posting Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 12:51:42 »
Hello

It's already what I do each time I'm posting a picture here, since the beginning (and also during my previous coming  ;D)   

So, it's like this one with Casimage  - French site but there is many other ! 

Bourricot

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 12:51:51 »
To give the members an idea of just what external hosting is all about, I'm adding a link or two to illustrate what's available, and the advantages of such a choice.

Personally, I've been using Flickr for many years now and my choice of that particular site was the options it offers for storage,  editing and enhancement of pictures, and the sharing options it offers. Plus, stability was a big concern, but it is part of Yahoo.com which is stable and definately in it for the long run.

Here's an example of a 'Gallery' build series.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tnpcurth/sets/72157624059878377/

...and a link to my little set

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tugnut/sets/72157623414871673/
MIKE

islander

• Love the classics!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 13:21:23 »
Being a flickr member already, I see the advantages.
One nice thing is that we can control who can download our pictures, if that's a concern to some.
Picture posting is instant...which is REAL nice! Downsizing is not nessesary, but available.
Plus I store hundreds of pictures there, instead of using my comp for storage.

I joined this tug forum to be totally honest with you all, to view the posted tug and model pictures....and to my surprise, then found it a realy fun place to hang out and contribute.
I've learnt that hosted pictures are visable to everyone who views the forum, whether a member or not, but posting and contributing remains a privalige of the registered members.

If the external host option is adopted by the majority, that may see a change in the type of new member that joins. He (or she) would likely be a an active member, as opposed to one who just enjoys our postings, and says nothing.
Hope that makes sense ???

You have my YES vote guys!

Islander

bourricot

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 14:54:02 »
Hello

Using a link to Flickr album (I'm member) is nice for a full thread or exhibition report ...

But for a one picture post, like the game Mystery Tug, I think it's not so user friendly to have to click on an external link

Having the picture straight on the post like the one of El Lobo Grande II is better no ?

Bourricot 

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 15:21:10 »
Not sure what you're trying to say Bourricot.
The picture would show up just like yours do, and no need to 'click' on it. 
No external link involved, just the pictures are 'hosted' (stored) elsewhere.

Suds
"Suds"

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 23:16:29 »
Hi Suds  is it not worth having a word with Martin M B M site as there is never any problem posting pictures on there?
Tugs are for life      George B

CGAux26

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 05:28:36 »
First will this external posting work with Mac operating systems?  I am on the latest OSX Lion, v10.7.3.  And would it work with the Mac/Safari browser?  Do we get a choice of external sites?

On the No side, too many more complications to deal with.
Dave

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 09:45:17 »
First will this external posting work with Mac operating systems?  I am on the latest OSX Lion, v10.7.3.  And would it work with the Mac/Safari browser?  Do we get a choice of external sites?

On the No side, too many more complications to deal with.

Posting pictures with a host of your choice is very easy, and it will work with any op system you have...as far as I know.
There are many hosts to choose from, but I chose flickr for reasons already explained.

The whole purpose of this topic and the option presented, is to eliminate all the hassles encountered as of late to do with posting pictures. 

Mobile uploads are available too, so you can take pictures from your mobile device and post right from the pond or event.

The results out weigh the minutes it takes to sign up. 
Many members use this method already, and I encourage their input.

The Royal...finished by tugs5750, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:51:42 by tugs53 »
MIKE

TugMaster

• Administrator
  • Admiral Poster
  • Welcome Aboard !
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 04:23:26 »
Its a great idea !

Just can't figure out why some people have problems and some don't but this method of posting pics via an external source is a great idea and hassle free !

However, we will still work on the original problem and I have infact just made some adjustments that may or may not help with posting.

Just to give you an idea .....we host over 25,000 images !

TugMaster
Ok, so I like a drop !

bourricot

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 07:28:23 »
Hello

I'm saying Sadbury II that on some forum if you want to see the picture you have to click on a link like here for example

http://www.casimages.com/img.php?i=120329053509519148.jpg

Then it's not so friendly using when there is small picture and you always have to click on the image it to have a "normal" size, like some pictures posted here on Model Tug Forum. 

The way used by Tug53 is nice with correct size and then if you want better size you can click on the link below to have it in original size.

Bourricot

Garth

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 16:53:52 »
Garth from Hamilton Ontario Canada has tried several times to post latest model Arnold S. put post have failed is it because photo is to large I re-size to 640 x 480 Pixels smallest I can make photo
Garth Parrish

alanmack

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 12:47:27 »
Hi All,
        I've just managed to post three smallish pictures at the third attempt this evening. I have found that the "Post" button does not work, but Shift-Alt-S does or seems to each time I have tried.

Alan

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 15:53:24 »
I'm a little confused.
With the Flickr/external host option do the images still appear as individual images on the forum or just as a link?
I prefer to see the images on the forum page so I can sift through them and only open the ones that are of particular interest.
The US site RC Scale Boats has a very slow and clumsy process to view images.
I also prefer to stay on the one site rather than jump of to a new site just to view images but then I'm easily distracted.
Steve

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 16:35:57 »
Hi Steve

The flickr option is just that...an option.

The images to upload to your photostream there stay there always, with various options on privacy and such.
Once there you can 'share' them by clicking on the BBC code and copying that to your forum post.

The pictures stay there, on the forum topic in a nice large size.

Here's my photo stream for example.    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tugnut/

...and here's what one of those looks like 'shared'.

Foam and the 'Boss'. by tugs5750, on Flickr

Sounds complicated, but once you upload there and get the hang of it...posting pics here on the forum takes about 2 seconds.. Plus you can post 20 pics in...2 seconds ;)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 16:40:06 by tugs53 »
MIKE