Author Topic: Timaru Tugs, New Zealand.  (Read 3796 times)

pikes

Timaru Tugs, New Zealand.
« on: June 10, 2012, 00:00:22 »
My first pic post hope it works ok & is of interest :)

Some pics I took today of the Bahia Grande being brought into dock by Te Maru (for), and Aoraki (aft).  Timaru, New Zealand.

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
Re: Timaru Tugs, New Zealand.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:52:35 »
Hello Pikes. ^-^

It was a nice day for ship spotting. I was down there and saw her arrive in along with the Patiki and Tiro II from Picton.

Are you new to the area??

Both myself and my brother are model tug builders in Timaru and would be very happy to meet some new faces at our club and go have a sail. We know of some new ponds (lakes) and would very nuch enjoy meeting up with model builders from foreign parts.

Please send me a reply if you wish.

Regards

Hayden
VANYA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 16:20:44 »
I like the colours of the Timaru tugs.
Look like they used the leftover NZR Aramoana paint when NZR rebranded.
Steve

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 16:28:16 »
What design/maker is the Aoraki?

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 04:16:38 »
The color of the Te Maru is called Te Maru Green. It is manufactured by Altex specifically for the tugs.

The colors previously were a lighter shade, tending toward cream and the Pilot Ohau still seems to have the lighter color, along with the rust stains! Both the Te Maru and Aoraki have been dry docked in the last 12 months so managed to get all the below photos for reference, mainly for the z-peller project.

Aoraki is Chinese built and was a contract hull bought through a broker who I think built hulls and offered them onto the market. There is a history to the deal and she sat in the open for some time in an unfinished state before the owner contracted to complete the vessel via the broker. I think it was a Chinese sort of Damen operation where hulls were built in multiples and just sat till purchased.

I was told that during the fitting out the conditions were terrible inside and that there was ice hanging fron the frames. It was a very harsh winter when she was built and the paint job was not flash by any means and has required considerable outlay to deal with it.

She looks much better now and looked like a new pin when she came back from Lyttelton. Te Maru is now coming on 30 years old and still looks good as have all the Timaru vessel over the years.

Have not heard from Pikes yet but hope to, we need more model makers down this way.

Rgds VANYA
VANYA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 14:50:53 »
How's the ASD project and your Seatow progressing?
Steve

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 16:18:52 »
Hi.
Dave in Oregon is just about to send to me some waxes to have cast in Christchurch. We have both left and right props done, lower unit, nozzle and he is just finishing the gearbox moulds so as to make the waxes.
He bought a plastic printer and has been working on that and some of the parts are used in the upper gearbox housing but it has taken time but more or less he has it sorted.

We do have some metal cast parts from the Uk which were shown but we need to see if casting can be done here as a trial. Visited the guys in Chch and seen what they do. No problem there.

As for my models, I have nearly completed the secret springer tug. Ok I did start a new model before the previous one was finished, I knew I was not sticking to the rules I made , but I cannot be the only one to stick tothe game plan. Anyway she looks nice. No photos posted, just want to finish her before showing the world. I really like it and she will go well with the Seatow barge. Same colour scheme and good size comparable to the Seatow 25 tug. Lathe has come in handy for it too.

Bit of weather comming up the coast your way. Secure all hatches!!

Hope my little boat in Picton is safe and sound. Poor thing. :(

VANYA
VANYA

bourricot

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 06:15:15 »
Hello

Aoraki is Chinese built and was a contract hull bought through a broker who I think built hulls and offered them onto the market. There is a history to the deal and she sat in the open for some time in an unfinished state before the owner contracted to complete the vessel via the broker. I think it was a Chinese sort of Damen operation where hulls were built in multiples and just sat till purchased.

The Aoraki have a sister ship in UK with the Englishman owned by a Hull based compagny SMS Towage Ltd. http://www.smstowage.com/fleet.asp

Thank's for the info about the Te Maru Green, I've seen her when I was in NZ and I was like attracted with this color. The Te Maru is a well built tug with easy maintenance, I not sure the China built Aoraki will be able to have a so long career in that state.

Bourricot 

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 02:08:12 »
The guys that did the 5 year survey  at the dry dock did say that the condition was not bad at all. Maybe it was just the painting that looked bad. They have had to take the paint surface back to bare metal to get a good finish but under the fenders the surface was good apparently.

She had a hard trip from the builder to New Zealand and being a working vessel it took time to get her sorted out.

I guess time will tell but not sure what owners expect in terms of lifespan for marine vessels these days. Even merchant ships built in the 90's are cut up. Maybe not because of condition but due to cost of running. i think Japanese vessels just have a better expectation, or they use to but cost of manufacture is everything these days.

I will post some Aoraki and Te Maru dry dock photos soon.

VANYA
VANYA

bourricot

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 02:57:17 »
Hello Vanya

guess time will tell but not sure what owners expect in terms of lifespan for marine vessels these days. Even merchant ships built in the 90's are cut up. Maybe not because of condition but due to cost of running. i think Japanese vessels just have a better expectation, or they use to but cost of manufacture is everything these days.

Yes, we are living a built-in obsolescence and consumerism world  ???

Thanks for sharing the dry dock photos, I'm always interresting with this kind of pictures

Bourricot