Author Topic: This one went down a different way.  (Read 2455 times)

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
This one went down a different way.
« on: June 20, 2012, 04:22:57 »
It pays not to tell ones wife that making a cake is easy. I did and i got to eat my words!!

What better to way to celebrate a birthday of two model tug builders, me and my twin brother than with a tug cake. We had all the ingredients, more tools than in my workshop it appears and not too much time I found out.

Ok I did not make the cake but the rest I did and it took many hours and all the modeling skills of the last 30 years I had learned. Once I decided on the tug, based on the red color left from the previous Christmas cake decorations it could only bee the Wellington Port Damen ASD 2411 "Tiaki". And guess what... it fitted in the cake time like a glove!! After the paper cutout patterns to get the shape, it was onto it with the butter cream (equivalent to our car bog!) then on with the fondant icing ( our glass cloth and resin) before the details. Fenders were rolls black held on with sugar glue (our Cayno) and tooth picks and the bulwark balanced until set thankfully.

Upperworks were left over cake iced and the fittings made from bits and bobs, wood, washers and dowel. All told it was about 20 hours work but well worth it. At least I did finish one model in 2011!

Not only did it look good, it tasted good too and wold have look great out on the water.

Sorry, it does not come with a plan and you are own your own if you want one.

VANYA
VANYA

TERRY

Re: This one went down a different way.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:29:45 »
Hi Vanya, That is one great cake. Shame you had to eat it.
Terry.
Measure twice cut once

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:52:24 »
Excellent and I hope you both had a great day...Not sure where we put a tug cake thread though......brain cells struggling.. :D
Barry

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 11:02:59 »
Hope you and your bro enjoyed your day. Should have put the tug to work towing your bottle of rum.

Time to splice the main brace.
VGJQ

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 21:13:06 »
Footski,
I had the same problem of where to place it.

Terry.
Yes it was a shame. I always wanted a little Damen tug and she was just 400mm long, but quite a displacement with all that iceing. Inside she was double dark chocolate with chocolate spread between layers. Not so good for our Plimsol line I tell you!

One good point about our hobby is that the models generally last a long time, I have never had one sink yet. But making a cake, all the hard work just disappears, sort of like building a model airplane, months of work and maybe matchwood in seconds. I'll stick to tugs any day.

VANYA
VANYA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 20:06:10 »
Anyone with small kids or grandchildren better not let them see this thread or you'll be making cakes every birthday.