Author Topic: Nice TID pictures  (Read 9932 times)

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: Nice TID pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:20:58 »
Thank you, sir. Good stuff.

cool
VGJQ

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 22:58:18 »
Very nice indeed. A good HDR technique on the first two...
Barry

Tim B.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 16:35:59 »
THANKS !

Can Never have too many TID pictures.

Ive got two of the last TID'S sold by LESRO, I need all the TID pics I can get.

Tim

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 14:03:22 »
We had a tiddler in New Zealand. I noticed her down on the wharves in '62 (I was 16 -go figure! Should have been in school but had a dental appointment!)
She was brought to NZ by Westminster Towing who were doing the rounds of the New Zealand ports that used to all have little steam powered bucket dredges (Fleming and Ferguson mostly but a Lobnitz or two) and used to do their own dredging until the bean counters got them scrapped (capitalising on investments it is called) and got overseas firms to do the job when ships started bottoming out in the ports (or worse, just stopped calling in).
But I digress, and I don't like bean counters running businesses, they look at only one thing.
Where was I?  Yep, the Teal had a Paxman V8 screamer in place of the steam plant -I could see the boiler mounting gussets -she was all open space down there.
I have lost touch with her. If anyone really wants to know, I can ask around.
Cheers

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 19:14:54 »
I am informed that "TEAL" was shipped up to Singapore to work with "Foremost Prince" the old steam bucket dredge. She lived a long and productive life but we think she was scrapped up there while "F-P" was rebuilt and went to Turkey.
So there you are! One less TID.
Meantime we are just about down to one left of the 20 lovely steel tugs that NZ built for the US Army for Pacific duties in WW2. They were 75' hard chine boats and had 6 cyl Atlas Imperial diesels. Had a raised focsle and were very capable sea boats. Our last runner is James O'Brien (ex Kawatiri). I have attached a picture of her when she last worked as a tug in Westport on NZ's west coast. Quite lively in a seaway but then who wants to go to sea in a boat that doesn't roll (ie hasn't a righting moment).
Weigh ho up she rises!

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 17:53:18 »
The Teal was TID 53 launched in 1944 according the the Medway Maritime Trust's database.

meechingman

• Tugs rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert's Website
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 13:45:15 »
Slightly OT, but do you have any more info on FP after she left New Zealand?

Would be nice to add a bit more to our records at Newhaven Museum.

THanks
Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 14:28:49 »
Any topic will do! I have put the word around here to find out any more about her. Maybe a new string? I am sure people will want to make working steam powered bucket dredges..... NZ had a few dredges that made their way up to the orient.

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 18:36:52 »
Hi! More about the Teal and the F-P from an old mate of mine who did a lot of time on the NZ coast.
"All those wrinkles around the bows of Teal and that great fugly bow post was for under-running the anchors of the F-Prince when she was working. She took quite a hammering at times.You are prolly aware they were built with 4 lifting eyes welded on the decks. No problems slinging those babies.The F-P had had more accom. and a big ugly mess room built on a staging over the stern aft of the funnel, the accom. hut foreward, just a couple bunks each in two or 3 rooms, very basic and more for to meet union requirements.I always remember the cook, Sam Treblecock but better known as old tripledick
Foremost Prince was a rush job because they had lost a similar vessel "W.D.Atlas" off Jervis bay in a slycoon early 1966, under her own steam, thats why F-P had her chain dismantled and was towed over by the "Humber" to Gisborne. All those things about delays in contracts etc..
Atlas was lost with all hands. All 13 men  Humber stayed in NZ and brought F-P up to Whangarei from a refit in Lyttleton. after the Gisborne job.

F-P--built1933 england---1954 to Boskalis Westminster Dredging
Towed out to Gisbourne by tug "Humber" then to Lyttlton for drydocking
Then to Whangarei to remove rock  @ Kioreroa then towed to Singapore.
Sold 1971 to Milulinovic--Yugoslavia, name "Bag 5 Bor"
broken up 1981 at this country.
48 years service, not bad going. She always travelled with the rock bucket chain dismantled
was very heavy. None of the local dredges could break up granite."
Cheers

boatbandit2

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 12:14:17 »
Hi Russell Ward
i really like the pictures of the Teal,I have built a RC TID Tug from plans i have, but i had to sell her,She ended up going to the South island i really would like to build another one some day i like the diesel stack on her. cool

Cheers
Paul

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 13:05:06 »
Yep, she was a useful tug. The forward raking wheelhouse screens and the funnel were reasonably aesthetic. I think we'd have preferred her as a steamer, but life has to go on and manned engine rooms aren't to management's liking any more.

boatbandit2

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 13:22:12 »
I was wondering if anyone has any good photos of the tid tug assurance when she was converted to oil the photos on medway maritime trust are not that good.

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 01:22:20 »
Love to see some. The more the merrier. Surely someone has a pic or two.

Rmay

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 06:17:22 »
Started a TID build over at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1747254 posted some pictures of the build here in the steam section.